DACS - Payment Due?

I will email DACS and post their reply about changes to the percentage coming from the 'pot'. 

Edit - email to DACS sent so will post reply here. No need to inundate them.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

We haven’t taken into consideration how often a publication is copied. We will do this going forward.

Excellent, where did you find the info? That seems to be the key change. The change from 25% to 30% will have less effect.

Publications copied by schools could now have a big effect?

What's unclear to me is whether 2020 refers to the claim year (for which we haven't claimed yet) or the payment we've just received in 2020.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

23 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Excellent, where did you find the info? That seems to be the key change. The change from 25% to 30% will have less effect.

Publications copied by schools could now have a big effect?

What's unclear to me is whether 2020 refers to the claim year (for which we haven't claimed yet) or the payment we've just received in 2020.

Mark

It means calculating 2020 payments surely.

45 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It means calculating 2020 payments surely.

Certainly the dramatic changes in the levels of payments being reported here suggests that a significant change in the calculation method may have occurred. This would tie in with the change to using how often an image has been copied.

It wil be interesting to see if those receiving DACs claims through Alamy see the same levels of change in revenue as this may give an insight into whether Alamy has the ISBN/ISSN numbers for any/many of the publications it claims for.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Spacecadet - I just found a 2020 textbook use for you. More later after brekkie - just writing now so I don't forget and you can remind me if I do.

Most grateful.

I had a textbook last year

Geography for the IB MYP 4&5: by Concept
hodder
ISBN:     9781510425804
p.177 ?

I assume this isn't it?

BTW I've just had the DACS email to login for a statement but can't remember my login! The system won't generate a forgotten password email either.

Edited by spacecadet

29 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Most grateful.

hodder
p.177 ?

I assume this isn't it?

BTW I've just had the DACS email to login for a statement but can't remember my login! The system won't generate a forgotten password email either.

I'm in your same situation, spacecadet. I have my password written down, but the system does not like it. And it says it can't not be reset, either 😕

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, shearwater said:

I'm in your same situation, spacecadet. I have my password written down, but the system does not like it. And it says it can't not be reset, either 😕

I've requested a new password too from DACS and nothing has happened.

51 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Most grateful.

hodder
p.177 ?

I assume this isn't it?

It's now on the October images found thread.

Just logged in for my statement. My 'Part 1' share (ISBNs; ISSNs) was £2.25 for 21 usages using 29 images (I took screenshots at the time, so I'd have a record of submissions). If this is the way things are going, then longer-term, the agent (Alamy, in this case) will have the upper-hand as they have direct, easy access to all this info, whereas we do not. Have to consider passing over control, unless my searches are made easier. 😒

3 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Just logged in for my statement. My 'Part 1' share (ISBNs; ISSNs) was £2.25 for 21 usages using 29 images (I took screenshots at the time, so I'd have a record of submissions). If this is the way things are going, then longer-term, the agent (Alamy, in this case) will have the upper-hand as they have direct, easy access to all this info, whereas we do not. Have to consider passing over control, unless my searches are made easier. 😒

Or Alamy could collect ISBN information and even consider sharing that with its contributors to help us keep contributing? 

36 minutes ago, Kathy deWitt said:

I've requested a new password too from DACS and nothing has happened.

Kathy, this is the message i'm getting:

"Unable to generate forgotten password email. Please contact your system administrator for assistance.;"

🤔
So, I better stop messing around and contact DACS.

47 minutes ago, losdemas said:

I can log in but when I get to "part 1" view claims, and click on that there isn't any further information.

What did you do losdemas to see how many ISBNs you claimed for?

Or can anyone else help?

John.

7 minutes ago, Stokie said:

I can log in but when I get to "part 1" view claims, and click on that there isn't any further information.

What did you do losdemas to see how many ISBNs you claimed for?

Or can anyone else help?

John.

56 minutes ago, losdemas said:

(I took screenshots at the time, so I'd have a record of submissions).

👆

Answer from DACS:

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your email.

Apologies, yes it seems that the table you are referring to has disappeared. I look into this.

In the meantime, the percentage split between the main Payback pot and the matched/ Publication History pot was as follows:

2017: 10% Matched / 90% Payback

2018: 15% Matched / 85% Payback

2019: 25% Matched / 75% Payback

2020: 30% Matched / 70% Payback

Next year, the percentages remain the same, but there are other changes to the split with these two groups between educational and non-educational allocations. We will communicate this clearly later this year.

Best Regards,

Dan Thomson

Data Manager

payback@dacs.org.uk

D/L: +44 (0) 20 7553 9099

• Thanks 2

The educational split will increase in one further step. But I can't remember the actual figure. 35% perhaps? It should all be on the forum somewhere. I looked but couldn't find it. 

Anyway, we will be told in due course and nothing at all we can do about it....except try and find more ISBNs and share what we find.

6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Spacecadet - I just found a 2020 textbook use for you. More later after brekkie - just writing now so I don't forget and you can remind me if I do.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It's now on the October images found thread.

Thanks again, assuming I'm right it's a fresh licence and the fee is very nearly the late lamented textbook amount.

I would be happy to share the image privately but it has been on "images found".

My statement now in too.  For Part 1 I got a whopping 1.89 pounds.  They also withheld 33.89 pounds for tax. Argh.  Now I have to deal with HMRC again to get that reimbursed.

Edited by Reimar

5 hours ago, shearwater said:

Kathy, this is the message i'm getting:

"Unable to generate forgotten password email. Please contact your system administrator for assistance.;"

🤔
So, I better stop messing around and contact DACS.

Thanks Shearwater.  It just so happens that I remembered my old password so could get into my account.  In doing

so I noticed by clicking on the top right corner there was a place to request a password change so maybe that supercedes

the usual one.  Not sure.

2 hours ago, Reimar said:

My statement now in too.  For Part 1 I got a whopping 1.89 pounds.  They also withheld 33.89 pounds for tax. Argh.  Now I have to deal with HMRC again to get that reimbursed.

I was going to deal with HM but didn't get around to it as usual. At least I can blame it on COVID-19 this year. 😊

P.S. I got nothing at all for Part I, which I don't understand since I submitted a claim with both old and new ISBNs /ISSNs.

Edited by John Mitchell

I've finally got at my statement and part 2 (publication history) is about 40% of the total as against less than 10% last year. However there is no breakdown between books and magazines this year. Part 1 (the basic Payback) is up 50% on last year. I must just be popular or something:blink:

Need them numbers folks!

Edited by spacecadet