Photoshelter Users Group

geogphotos

On 15/01/2021 at 08:27, geogphotos said:

Is anybody sending Archive images to Alamy by ftp from Photoshelter.

For me this stopped working months ago, and I have to download and then upload to Alamy.

Alamy tells me the fault is not at their end, Photoshelter are looking into it.

Maybe it is just me? 

Just in case this does affect anybody else. Photoshleter found the answer.

Don't know if this is a change or more likely something I forgot about. 

This is what is needed

Archive_Stock

• 3 weeks later...

I agree John, even though I don't use pricing on PS, one would think the future should be simpler rather than more complex for a potential buyer.

I was saddened to see they [again]missed all their deadlines on the new templates and then decided their new official policy was just not to give us anymore updates anymore on the project. 

4 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

I agree John, even though I don't use pricing on PS, one would think the future should be simpler rather than more complex for a potential buyer.

I was saddened to see they [again]missed all their deadlines on the new templates and then decided their new official policy was just not to give us anymore updates anymore on the project. 

Yes, it's good to see them promoting RM licensing, but...

Just wondering, do you get any legit licensing inquiries through your PS site? Mine dried up about three years ago.

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, it's good to see them promoting RM licensing, but...

Just wondering, do you get any legit licensing inquiries through your PS site? Mine dried up about three years ago.

No, dead as doornail. About once a year someone may ask for a print but I don't do them, but thats from my website not my archive (the archive is the PhotoShelter part of my website). 

4 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

No, dead as doornail. About once a year someone may ask for a print but I don't do them, but thats from my website not my archive (the archive is the PhotoShelter part of my website). 

Sorry to hear that. Have you thought of offering prints through PS? Their system works quite well IME.

I used to get quite a few orders for prints, but that was before POD sites became so popular.

• 3 months later...

Yes, the long delay is very frustrating. I find their lofty blog posts about the state of the planet particularly irritating - a bit of luxury to be sitting in the ivory tower while their clients are pulling their hair out in frustration down on the ground floor. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well we are 6 months into the year (and 7 from the last blog post) and not a peep from Photoshelter on the new templates although reading the users comments in their blog about the new updates made me aware that frustrations are rife and many people are really upset with them for lack of updates and progress.

Then I realised that a new update had been posted on June 17 (https://support.photoshelter.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059401754) in the members area and the update says they need more developers so they are now starting the interview process. And I thought Alamy were currently frustrating :+)

Edited by Panthera tigris
typo
  • Like 1

On 18/09/2020 at 17:14, Allan Bell said:

If you don't mind the question. What sort of cost is it to purchase a domain?

Allan

Hi Allan I paid £77.41 with GoDaddy in 2019 for 5years.

Liam

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Liam Bunce said:

Hi Allan I paid £77.41 with GoDaddy in 2019 for 5years.

Liam

Thank you Liam.

Allan

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, BobD said:

Can I ask those who have one of these accounts, no matter which site, what benefits there are to having one?

I've been a Photoshelter subscriber since 2005. I use it to store all my RAW files ( also on 2 external HDs), I upload all my JPEGs and write captions and keywords within Photoshelter. I can then send those files by FTP to multiple destinations using their bandwidth.

It gives me a website. I can send Quick Send download links to anybody I want to.

I have had direct sales and but these are rare.

I have found that having a website provides a useful 'shop window' when I have approached agencies as a prospective contributor.

I pay $500 pa for unlimited storage.

The last year or so has been frustrating waiting for them to deliver the promised upgrades in terms of website templates - hence my lack of activity whilst waiting. I have a domain name ready to go for www.oldslidephotos.com

www.geographyphotos.com

Edited by geogphotos

14 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I've been a Photoshelter subscriber since 2005. I use it to store all my RAW files ( also on 2 external HDs), I upload all my JPEGs and write captions and keywords within Photoshelter. I can then send those files by FTP to multiple destinations using their bandwidth.

It gives me a website. I can send Quick Send download links to anybody I want to.

I have had direct sales and but these are rare.

I have found that having a website provides a useful 'shop window' when I have approached agencies as a prospective contributor.

I pay $500 pa for unlimited storage.

That seems quite a lot compared to a Zenfolio pro account @$216 if you pay a year in advance. Also has unlimited uploads. 

What advantage does Photoshelter have over  Zenfolio?

Edited by BobD

1 hour ago, BobD said:

That seems quite a lot compared to a Zenfolio pro account @$216 if you pay a year in advance. Also has unlimited uploads. 

No idea, never used Zenfolio.

1 hour ago, BobD said:

None that I could find which is why I went with zenfolio!

Here's a referral code for 10% off for new subscribers, and also gives me 10% on my next renewal.

7JM-KK3-ENZ

Phil

10 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

None that I could find which is why I went with zenfolio!

Here's a referral code for 10% off for new subscribers, and also gives me 10% on my next renewal.

7JM-KK3-ENZ

Phil

Thanks for that Phil if I decide to go with it I will use your code.

Do you use the account for anything other than storage?

15 minutes ago, BobD said:

Thanks for that Phil if I decide to go with it I will use your code.

Do you use the account for anything other than storage?

The storage facility is great as I always have access to HiRes JPGs wherever I am.

It offers download facilities, with or without password protection which is useful. Though I also use a free WeTransfer account for delivering files.

SEO is not bad, I get regular hits in google searches and have been commissioned on the basis of visitors finding me through it. And also have licensed photos through it.

Also get a fair bit of spam offering me PP services!

Phil

4 hours ago, BobD said:

I have no experience of Photoshelter but have with Zenfolio. I would suggest that SmugMug is also worth checking out as an alternative to Zenfolio. They are similar in many ways but SmugMug offers a Power plan for less than £80 a year which is very good if you don't need to sell or license directly from your website. I switched from Zenfolio Pro plan (was £192 last year) to SmugMug Power plan earlier this year and am very happy with it - own domain, unlimited JPEG storage, private passwordable proofing galleries for clients, very fast. Zenfolio only have the starter plan and then the Pro plan. Both providers take a bit of learning to customise websites to one's own needs. 

Edited by MDM

15 minutes ago, MDM said:

I have no experience of Photoshelter but have with Zenfolio. I would suggest that SmugMug is also worth checking out as an alternative to Zenfolio. They are similar in many ways but SmugMug offers a Power plan for less than £80 a year which is very good if you don't need to sell or license directly from your website. I switched from Zenfolio Pro plan (was £192 last year) to SmugMug Power plan earlier this year and am very happy with it - own domain, unlimited JPEG storage, private passwordable proofing galleries for clients, very fast. Zenfolio only have the starter plan and then the Pro plan. Both providers take a bit of learning to customise websites to one's own needs. 

I did look at Smugmug but would need the portfolio plan to be able to sell prints and downloads and that is more expensive than the Zenfolio pro. Just on the off chance of helping with the cost. At the moment I use Livedrive as cloud based storage, That automatically backs up any new file I create on my computer, which was fine when I had my business but is not really made for photographers.

Don't you need to be able to sell prints or downloads to clients 

23 minutes ago, BobD said:

I did look at Smugmug but would need the portfolio plan to be able to sell prints and downloads and that is more expensive than the Zenfolio pro. Just on the off chance of helping with the cost. At the moment I use Livedrive as cloud based storage, That automatically backs up any new file I create on my computer, which was fine when I had my business but is not really made for photographers.

Don't you need to be able to sell prints or downloads to clients 

If I sell prints, I get clients to list what they want and deal with them myself rather than through direct web sales which are handled by the host. Clients get links to their galleries and can download their images themselves if that is part of their package. That is different from selling direct downloads (effectively licensing images) which I don't do.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing prices is that SmugMug give dollar prices and take exchange rates into account when charging. My package was $102 but they charged less than £80 (I can't remember the exact amount). 

EDIT - Zenfolio annual Pro package is now £216. SmugMug Portfolio annual plan is $240 so cheaper when you take the exchange rate into account. I don't know the exact differences between the two packages. The way Zenfolio quote their prices is potentially confusing (£18/mo is actually the annual rate)

Edited by MDM