Photoshelter Users Group

geogphotos

Changes ( improvements) are supposedly imminent at Photoshelter - new templates for web pages, new Sitebuilder, and the ability to host two domains from the one account. I have bought www.oldslidephotos.com for my old slide photos so that they are in a separate area from my other stuff. 

I thought it might be useful to have a group of Alamy users to help each other and offer advice etc. Also for those wanting to find out more or who are considering joining.

My site is here and I have not done anything to it for a while because I'm waiting for the changes to come:

www.geographyphotos.com

There are referral codes available from any member which give a small discount.

Please post your Photoshelter web page

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

If you don't mind the question. What sort of cost is it to purchase a domain?

Allan

Costs vary. You would have to purchase it through a hosting outfit like GoDaddy, which PS seems to recommend.

I've never purchased a custom domain because I only have a basic plan at PS and don't want to spend any more money on a website.

P.S. Looks as if I would have to pay about C$20 per year for a .ca domain or C$25 for a .com domain at GoDaddy, which is less that I thought it would cost. I might look into doing this, although I'm not sure what the benefits might be.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1

htttps://www.mariannecampolongophotography.com

Hosting isn't too expensive. Not sure if this is the right place to start a Photoshelter group. IMHO it would be more appropriate on FB or on one of those sites that lets you start a free forum since a PS site would potentially be in competition with Alamy. But I'd be interested in such a group and assume Alamy would be ok with letting us discuss an appropriate alternate forum? ProBoards lets you set up a free forum. I'd look into it if enough people want, but I'll need to know who to invite - you can contact me through my PS site if you are interested. I don't think PS has added a forum feature. 

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

htttps://www.mariannecampolongophotography.com

Hosting isn't too expensive. Not sure if this is the right place to start a Photoshelter group. IMHO it would be more appropriate on FB or on one of those sites that lets you start a free forum since a PS site would potentially be in competition with Alamy. But I'd be interested in such a group and assume Alamy would be ok with letting us discuss an appropriate alternate forum? ProBoards lets you set up a free forum. I'd look into it if enough people want, but I'll need to know who to invite - you can contact me through my PS site if you are interested. I don't think PS has added a forum feature. 

I agree. FB would be a better place.

P.S. I just had a better look at your website. Very nice. Is that a PS template?

Edited by John Mitchell

My intention was for it to be about Alamy contributors who use Photoshelter. 

In the past Alamy and Photoshelter have kind of co-identified each other as 'allies'.

Hosting your pics on PS does not breach any exclusivity with Alamy. 

PS is a really useful way to organise and send pics to Alamy apart from its other uses. 

To me Facebook is pile of carp.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

My intention was for it to be about Alamy contributors who use Photoshelter. 

In the past Alamy and Photoshelter have kind of co-identified each other as 'allies'.

Hosting your pics on PS does not breach any exclusivity with Alamy. 

PS is a really useful way to organise and send pics to Alamy apart from its other uses. 

As mentioned previously, I already have links to my Alamy collection from my PS website. I've always thought that some kind of "partnership" between PS and Alamy might be interesting. I have no idea what form it might take, though, other than their using each other for advertising purposes.

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Ian, where did you read about these upcoming changes? I've only recently switched over to one of the new templates.

This came out back in February so they are at least a few months behind schedule. 

https://blog.photoshelter.com/2020/02/a-progress-report-on-our-product-roadmap-feb-2020/

"Our goal is to begin releasing the first usable versions of the new templates, with version 1.0 of the new site builder in August. (Of course, as with any development initiative, this could change. If that date shows signs of slipping, I’ll be keeping you updated here with regular status reports.)

But don’t worry, we won’t force you to change. If you’re happy with your current website, you can keep it, or wait and update when you’re ready. You will have the opportunity to build your website in a private area, and make it public when you’re ready.

What’s different about the new site builder?

The main difference between the current site builder and the new version is that it will work on mobile devices. We are removing the direct on-screen editing features (which are impossible to design for mobile) in favor of a modular menu-based system. All of the options and controls will be available to you in a menu of choices that will work perfectly on any type of device.

Another difference is that you won’t be restricted to having only one website within your account. The site builder will allow support for multiple domain names (CNAMES), each showing different images. This way you can create a different website for each type of photography you specialize in, all coming from the same collection of images within your PhotoShelter archive."

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

This came out back in February so they are at least a few months behind schedule. 

https://blog.photoshelter.com/2020/02/a-progress-report-on-our-product-roadmap-feb-2020/

"Our goal is to begin releasing the first usable versions of the new templates, with version 1.0 of the new site builder in August. (Of course, as with any development initiative, this could change. If that date shows signs of slipping, I’ll be keeping you updated here with regular status reports.)

But don’t worry, we won’t force you to change. If you’re happy with your current website, you can keep it, or wait and update when you’re ready. You will have the opportunity to build your website in a private area, and make it public when you’re ready.

What’s different about the new site builder?

The main difference between the current site builder and the new version is that it will work on mobile devices. We are removing the direct on-screen editing features (which are impossible to design for mobile) in favor of a modular menu-based system. All of the options and controls will be available to you in a menu of choices that will work perfectly on any type of device.

Another difference is that you won’t be restricted to having only one website within your account. The site builder will allow support for multiple domain names (CNAMES), each showing different images. This way you can create a different website for each type of photography you specialize in, all coming from the same collection of images within your PhotoShelter archive."

Interesting. I wonder if there will extra monthly charges if you opt to create additional websites within your account.

27 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting. I wonder if there will extra monthly charges if you opt to create additional websites within your account.

No mention of it, can't see how it will cost PS any more if a subscriber has 2 websites and splits their collection into two - same storage etc. 

Don't really understand the need and who would want to build their website on a mobile device - seems a bit like overkill to me. But then I am one of the few people not to use a mobile phone. 

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

No mention of it, can't see how it will cost PS any more if a subscriber has 2 websites and splits their collection into two - same storage etc. 

Don't really understand the need and who would want to build their website on a mobile device - seems a bit like overkill to me. But then I am one of the few people not to use a mobile phone. 

Let's hope that will be the case. Guess I'll have to buy a domain or two if I want to take advantage of the multiple websites feature.

Same thought crossed my mind re mobile devices. I only recently traded in my antique 'dumb phone' for a basic 'smart phone'. Couldn't see wanting to build a website on it. However, some people seem to be able to do just about anything on their phones. Should be interesting to see what PS comes up with.

On 18/09/2020 at 17:14, Allan Bell said:

If you don't mind the question. What sort of cost is it to purchase a domain?

Allan

It does depend but is not expensive unless you want to buy one that somebody else already owns. Assuming that you find one that is available it won't cost you more than £15 a year or so. For rock bottom prices use GoDaddy and similar huge companies. I had mine with Yahoo for years and years but then found all sorts of problems trying to get in contact with them - it took months to sort out and extricate myself from them. So I switched to a UK based one which does costs a few quid more a year but means that I can pick up the phone and talk to them if I need help. I will quite likely need their assistance getting my new domain set up. Photoshelter are also very good at providing help when I get stuck over something technical.

8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Apparently, the multiple website option will only be available with Pro accounts. I currently have a basic account with extra storage add-ons (costs me $20/month total). Just checked my account signups, and I haven't had one since Feb. 2017. In comparison, I had two dozen customer signups and made a decent profit in 2014. The years prior to that were similar. So I don't have a lot of motivation to upgrade to a more expensive plan, especially since the basic account has almost all the features of the Standard and Pro ones.

Edited by John Mitchell

John, I'd be interested to know how you link to your Alamy images - do you do this on an individual image basis or have a general link on your homepage.

The problem here is that my image refs aren't recognised by the Alamy customer search engine. 

I can see that i wouldn't be worth you upgrading, but you'll get the other improvements anyway. Lets'hope that they really are improvements!

Edited by geogphotos

14 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It does depend but is not expensive unless you want to buy one that somebody else already owns. Assuming that you find one that is available it won't cost you more than £15 a year or so. For rock bottom prices use GoDaddy and similar huge companies. I had mine with Yahoo for years and years but then found all sorts of problems trying to get in contact with them - it took months to sort out and extricate myself from them. So I switched to a UK based one which does costs a few quid more a year but means that I can pick up the phone and talk to them if I need help. I will quite likely need their assistance getting my new domain set up. Photoshelter are also very good at providing help when I get stuck over something technical.

Thank you for replying.

Allan

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

A pleasure. This is the company I use. 

https://hostinguk.net

There is a search box so that you can check which domain names are available.

Thank you. Bookmarked.

Allan

On 18/09/2020 at 14:13, John Mitchell said:

I agree. FB would be a better place.

P.S. I just had a better look at your website. Very nice. Is that a PS template?

Thanks. Yes, it is one of the old templates. I'm very happy with the choices they have.

Even before the changes they are instituting now, my site was responsive on mobile phones, which is important to a lot of people. I use my phone a lot and being able to access the site from it and do other things without needing to bring along a laptop sounds like a great idea. I use PS Express on my iPhone a lot as well as many other apps allowing you to get work done from anywhere. And I'm no youngster. 

Being able to have different websites hosted from one main base sounds intriguing. I was aware of some of the upcoming changes from their various webinars, but wasn't aware of that one.  I have just the opposite now - 2 CNAMES that both land back at the one site. Mostly because my main site name, mariannecampolongophotography is so long, so I have a shorter one, campyphotos easier to remember for people (and spell correctly - and fit on business cards) that leads back to the same site. 

I use GoDaddy for the names. 

• Love 1

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

John, I'd be interested to know how you link to your Alamy images - do you do this on an individual image basis or have a general link on your homepage.

The problem here is that my image refs aren't recognised by the Alamy customer search engine. 

I can see that i wouldn't be worth you upgrading, but you'll get the other improvements anyway. Lets'hope that they really are improvements!

I used the Site Builder to create a "My Alamy Portfolio" link in the Navigation section, see here at bottom left of the homepage. My PS site is a mess, so please don't linger too long. 😬

At this point, I'd even consider providing links from individual images on my PS site to the same images for sale on Alamy if that were possible.

Yes, let's hope that PS comes up with more improvements. At least they do seem to be "on it".

I see that GoDaddy has a deal on -- $2.99 for the first year if you pay for two years, so I'm going to take the plunge and purchase a CNAME today. I'm still attached to my PS website for some strange reason.

Edited by John Mitchell

Something I don''t really understand is the difference between a "Headline" and a "Title".  PS recently said that we should complete both these IPTC fields for each image in order to maximize SEO. Can anyone supply an example of a headline vs a title? How are you -- or are you -- responding to this onerous chore?

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Something I don''t really understand is the difference between a "Headline" and a "Title".  PS recently said that we should complete both these IPTC fields for each image in order to maximize SEO. Can anyone supply an example of a headline vs a title? How are you -- or are you -- responding to this onerous chore?

Headline
A headline is a brief synopsis or summary of the contents of the photograph.

Title
The textual title of the work, or reference name.

Source: https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/documentation/userguide/#_general_image_content

Agencies use these fields in various ways:

Example 1:
Headline: Demonstrators take part in a rally...
Title: "abc123" (the same as File Name field)

Example 2:
Headline: Demonstrators take part in a rally...
Title: "Place"-Protest

Headline: Autumn colors...
Title: "Place"-Weather

Example 3:
Headline: Autumn colors...
Title: Autumn colors...
(the same in both fields)

andre