Shergar

August Challenge: Homegrown or Home brewed Grand Finalists  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge Finalists

• Michael Ventura. Kids checking the tape
    • VbFolly. Growing lettuces in a cold frame
    • John Mitchell. Homegrown planter
    • Jill Morgan. Homegrown puppies
    • Colin Woods. Home-made energy in Nepal.
    • TeeCee. Tabby cat growing in a pot
    • Gnans. Daughter planting a tomato plant
    • Marianne. Butterfly garden:

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/09/20 at 06:59

Many thanks to all who enter the homegrown or home brewed challenge. Here are the finalists for August's challenge. The descriptions and contributors IDs are above the images. The poll will close at midnight GMT on Sunday 6th September. Best of luck to all the finalists.

1) Michael Ventura's Kids checking the tape 

10-year-old-girl-uses-a-measuring-tape-t

2) VbFolly - Growing lettuces in a cold frame

lettuces-and-other-salad-leaf-plants-gro

3) John Mitchell - Homegrown Planter

spring-flowers-growing-in-a-toilet-bowl-

4) Jill Morgan - Homegrown puppies

five-cute-six-week-old-labrador-puppies-

5) Colin Woods - Homemade energy in Nepal

a-trekking-lodge-with-a-parabolic-heater

6) TeeCee - Tabby Cat growing in a pot

a-short-haired-tabby-bengal-cat-asleep-i

7) Gnans - Daughter planting a tomato plant

2BE2W70.jpg

8) Marianne - Butterfly Garden

2CEB57E.jpg

• Love 2

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks for including my kids! I voted for another of course!

I think one must be allowed to vote for his/her own kids 😂

However it currently seems impossible to change one's vote.

It is a brilliant picture. However the others are pretty good also.

wim

Lots of creativity! Thanks so much for including one of mine. 

My vote brought the two top contenders closer - although there were so many good ones, as a cat lover I could not resist TeeCee's adorably creative entry.

Hubby wanted me to vote for myself LOL - I explained that it's a British contest and unlike we hyper-competitive Yanks, it's just not done.  

Many more flowers in the garden today but it's raining too much to take pix. Had some fresh garden tomatoes in our sandwiches - sublime - now I know why so many people grow their own. I want to build a cold frame like the beautiful one above so I can grow them year round. A neighbor up the street has a beautiful house built in the 1800s (that's ancient here in NY) with a huge greenhouse attached (they also have two ponds and a waterfall, and a tennis court). If it weren't for Covid, I'd really consider asking if I could keep my potted tomato plant there over the winter - wonder if it would keep growing? It's in a huge fabric planter, doing as well the several others planted in the ground. I looked at some bespoke greenhouses built by a British company advertising in the NY Times (they send their builders over here) - I think the tiny model started at around $50K - would be nice to be rich. I know there are much more affordable options out there but hadn't thought about the added expense of keeping it heated. So I realized that a cold frame to start the veggies early and keep plants alive later into the year is the most reasonable option. A project for next spring? How long does it extend the season on either end?

Hope you all have a lovely last week of summer!

• Love 1

On 02/09/2020 at 12:44, Marianne said:

So I realized that a cold frame to start the veggies early and keep plants alive later into the year is the most reasonable option. A project for next spring? How long does it extend the season on either end?

Hope you all have a lovely last week of summer!

I was in a community gardens group in Philadelphia and one of the other gardeners had a cold frame made of used windows over his bed, if I remember correctly, and had surviving greens of various kinds throughout the winter.  NYC is 90 miles north of that.  Should be able to grow cold hardy greens through most winters: kale (I had some Russian kale overwinter without protection there), turnip greens, some cabbages, bok choi, and possibly oriental radishes.  Completely year round at least as far north as Philly.  Fruiting crops like tomatoes and peppers, probably a few weeks extension, though there are some organic tricks like planting in compost over horse manure that give some warmth for a bit long.   Starting plants or protecting plants from late frost, yeah, but the real thing to do is use a cold frame for greens.   I used to raise a few bok choi plants in an unheated porch in rural Virginia, and have seen collards in the ground still green in December in Washington, DC.   Some plants can freeze and recover.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I was in a community gardens group in Philadelphia and one of the other gardeners had a cold frame made of used windows over his bed, if I remember correctly, and had surviving greens of various kinds throughout the winter.  NYC is 90 miles north of that.  Should be able to grow cold hardy greens through most winters: kale (I had some Russian kale overwinter without protection there), turnip greens, some cabbages, bok choi, and possibly oriental radishes.  Completely year round at least as far north as Philly.  Fruiting crops like tomatoes and peppers, probably a few weeks extension, though there are some organic tricks like planting in compost over horse manure that give some warmth for a bit long.   Starting plants or protecting plants from late frost, yeah, but the real thing to do is use a cold frame for greens.   I used to raise a few bok choi plants in an unheated porch in rural Virginia, and have seen collards in the ground still green in December in Washington, DC.   Some plants can freeze and recover.

Thanks so much for the info! We saved only one old window when we replaced ours to use as a frame - wish I'd saved more but I bet they are not too hard to find. I'm an hour north of NYC so it's a tad colder here but I bet those greens would stay for a while, at least into November. I was going to grow kale but with many rabbits around it seemed like it would be a lost cause, but it's one of my favorites! A cold frame would do double duty as a great way to protect greens from our resident rabbits in the warm months, provided I dug down and used some chicken wire in the ground and made the side walls tall enough that they couldn't jump over. 

I picked a bunch of okra today and am going to try my hand at making gumbo. It's been fun to grow food and I'm inspired to do more next year. Took a ton of photos today as I harvested my few veggies and picked some flowers. Thanks again for the info. I knew there were many experienced gardeners here. I bet where you are now you can grow some amazing tropical plants year round!

22 hours ago, Marianne said:

I bet where you are now you can grow some amazing tropical plants year round!

Yep, a lot of things that are houseplants or grown as annuals in the north are yard plants here.   These are mine, mostly orchids on the walls.

this-vertical-garden-also-has-plants-in-

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Voting is now closed and it gives me great pleasure to announce  that the winner of the August challenge,  homegrown or home brewed  is Mr Colin Woods with his Homemade energy in Nepal.

Congratulations Colin 

So it only remains for me to hand over the baton to you for the September Competition.

Here is the list of previous challenges.

August Homemade or home grown 

July - Fire, water, earth and air

June - Green

May - Signs

April - Social Gathering

March - Fog and Mist

February - Sustainability

January - Irony

December - Holiday Spirit

November - Empty

October - Attention to the Reflection (Urban) 
September - Faces
August - Climate
July - Children in Action
June - Remembrance, Honouring, Celebrating
May - The Thrill and Joy of Sport
April - Women's Role in Todays Society
March - Eating
February - What is Love?
January - Happy New! 

December - Converging Lines
November - The City
October - You Wear It Well
September - Think Local
August - NEWS
July - FUN
June - National parks scenery (pure nature)
May - Twilight
April - In or On the Water
March - Without leaving the house (or garden)
February - Winter Activities
January -  Music 

December - Taste
November - Iconic
October - Failure
September - Critters
August - On The Beach
July - Street Art
June - Festivals
May - Transport
April - Proverbs and sayings
March - Urban Wildlife