4 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Sale through a Brazilian distributor?  I had two refunds in yesterday for 2/3 year old uncleared sales through one.  I'm assuming the distributor went bust and Alamy have finally written it off as an uncomfortable debt.

There's a sense of deja vu.

12 hours ago, Rolf Adlercreutz said:

I just had this refund pop up: 

B5RKY9 _70D0690 Rolf Adlercreutz (29 July 2020) Rights Managed Sale refunded - Original sale date (18 October 2016)

$ -21.52

Almost 4 years ago! Must be a new record!

Rolf

footballer-zlatan-ibrahimovic-receives-the-prize-the-golden-ball-as-B5RKY9.jpg

Yeah just had one too from 18/10/2106 for same amount $21.52....Hey so i'm not alone...

A refund for an image sold so far in the past is truly outrageous. There is another thread about the same issue. Small amounts may seem trivial and annoying, but is inherently unfair. What about a large amount that you've paid taxes on the income? Are you now going to file an amended tax return to try to recover the funds? It's a double loss. While I'm sure Alamy's contract covers them their business practices should make it hard for these situations to exist. No refunds after 9 months seems fair.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

A refund for an image sold so far in the past is truly outrageous. There is another thread about the same issue. Small amounts may seem trivial and annoying, but is inherently unfair. What about a large amount that you've paid taxes on the income? Are you now going to file an amended tax return to try to recover the funds? It's a double loss. While I'm sure Alamy's contract covers them their business practices should make it hard for these situations to exist. No refunds after 9 months seems fair.

I assume this wouldn't have gone through your company accounts

From my company point of view the invoice is generated (self generated by Alamy) when they make the Royalty payment to my company - so you get a maximum of one invoice per month.

You only get the royalty payment when there are cleared funds, so a "sold" image, which never clears would not show as a sale through my company accounts.

Julian

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

No.

Rolf's refund cleared four years ago.

😞 Thats not very good!

But then - from a company point of view - In the year the sale was made you did receive income, and pay the taxes

This year, the refund will reduce your revenue, and your taxes will be less for this year.

If the refund had VAT - then the VAT should also be refunded - so you shouldn't have to "reclaim" anything - just include it in this years figures..

Jools

Edited by Jools Devon

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2020 at 20:18, Rolf Adlercreutz said:

I just had this refund pop up: 

B5RKY9 _70D0690 Rolf Adlercreutz (29 July 2020) Rights Managed Sale refunded - Original sale date (18 October 2016)

$ -21.52

Almost 4 years ago! Must be a new record!

Rolf

footballer-zlatan-ibrahimovic-receives-the-prize-the-golden-ball-as-B5RKY9.jpg

Outrageous - poor business management!

Forgive the question Rolf but were you actually paid by Alamy for the original sale?  I have only ever received money from Alamy if a sale clears. I always thought that if a sale cleared the customer who bought it had paid for it and the matter was closed. If it never clears the possibility of a refund continues to exist? Or am I mistaken? Can a cleared Sale be refunded?

On 31/07/2020 at 15:31, spacecadet said:

No.

Rolf's refund cleared four years ago.

Sorry for the delay in us stepping in here but we wanted to get the full details of this.

No, the sale in this case had not cleared and never would have - unfortunately we had to write this off as a bad debt given that the company who owed us (and Rolf) money went into liquidation.

When this happens it does tend to be rare and it is frustrating for all of us involved - we would only do it when we exhaust all avenues to secure the funds.

As you can see from this thread, misinformation can spiral out quite quickly regarding the situation surrounding these types of issues - if you have any questions about a refund (cancellation) of a sale you've received then please get in touch with us first so we can explain and look into things for you.

Thanks,

Alamy

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3