Nik Collection 3

Doc

Question

Anyone upgraded to, or bought the New Nik Collection 3 yet? I have been using the Nik Collection 2 and found the suite of programs a useful addition to Lightroom and Photoshop, but I know its not to everyone's taste. Theres still a few days where the upgrade is on special offer. 

Has anyone got the upgrade and able to comment on its usefulness?

Thanks

Kumar

13 answers to this question

I have the Nik 2, but have had a chance to compare the Nik 3. I would not pay for the upgrade just for the filters (colorefex, analog, etc) they are mostly all the same.  What they added was the Perspective and that can be an invaluable tool for anyone who does a lot of architecture, interiors.  Does a good job straigtening out all those lines and making the buildings look normal instead of like 'leaning tower of Pisa wanna-bes'.  A lot of the same corrections can be achieved in photoshop though requires some skill and for me does not always come out looking 100% right.  DXO do have a separate plug-in which is supposed to be an improvement on the Perspective I think; Viewpoint. Works as a stand alone as well.   This one might be worth paying the $49.99 for, but again if you are heavily into a lot of architecture, buildings etc.  I personally wouldn't upgrade for what I do I mostly use the filters.  Aslo, I don't use Lightroom, so Lightroom users may have their own input on the benefits of the new features. Don't know if this helps at all.

Helen

I have upgraded.

Still trying to work out all of the benefits. I quite like the new tools selection/painting tools in Photoshop and the issues I had exporting and editing multiple files in a batch from Lightroom are also solved.

I have yet to conquer the ability to re-open and re-adjust edits which is an advertised new feature.

The Filters in the new perspective tool work quite well if you like that kind of thing.

The upgrade process and installation was straightforward for me.

2 hours ago, Iain Masterton said:

I'm using the NIK by google collection of plugins...Color Effects Pro 4 etc ....

This was free as I remember.

Am i missing something?

Yes they were bought up by DxO a few years ago and they released a version 2 which was no longer free. Kumar is asking about the latest version 3 which they are plugging at the moment. 

On 28/06/2020 at 12:20, Doc said:

Anyone upgraded to, or bought the New Nik Collection 3 yet? I have been using the Nik Collection 2 and found the suite of programs a useful addition to Lightroom and Photoshop, but I know its not to everyone's taste. Theres still a few days where the upgrade is on special offer. 

Has anyone got the upgrade and able to comment on its usefulness?

Thanks

Kumar

I have not tried this upgrade but I did buy version 2 in a Black Friday sale back in 2018 (partly on your recommendation as well as Phil Crean 😀). I have been getting emails urging me to upgrade but it doesn’t look to me like there is a big benefit to the upgrade reading the blurb on the website so I will resist for now as I don’t use V2 enough anyway. There doesn’t seem to be a lot that is really new in V3 as far as I can see. I bet they will extend the sale or have another before too long anyway. If they could be used for actual raw editing then I would be more inclined to use them more but I don’t think they can. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I have not tried this upgrade but I did buy version 2 in a Black Friday sale back in 2018 (partly on your recommendation as well as Phil Crean 😀). I have been getting emails urging me to upgrade but it doesn’t look to me like there is a big benefit to the upgrade reading the blurb on the website so I will resist for now as I don’t use V2 enough anyway. There doesn’t seem to be a lot that is really new in V3 as far as I can see. I bet they will extend the sale or have another before too long anyway. If they could be used for actual raw editing then I would be more inclined to use them more but I don’t think they can. 

I had a look also at V3, but it doesn't seem to be worth the amount they're asking for an upgrade... In my opinion they've overpriced it.

Phil

I love the Nik filters but don't plan to upgrade.

I bought some of them (Color Effex, Vivenza, Silver Effex) years ago and got the rest when Google bought them out. They haven't worked in PS for me for a while but work well in LR, and the additions DxO have added don't seem worth it to me at the moment. I checked out the new stuff on their site and it didn't really excite me. 

I still use the Nik filters a lot - Silver Effex, Color Effex and Analog 2 - but I'm trying not to add more stuff to my workflow, keeping as much in LR as I can, and if I upgrade I know I'll feel like I need to use them all the time.

LR fixes perspective quite well for me and I tend to use my 20mm Nikon lens on my Sony a lot, and if I keep it level most photos don't need fixing, so I'm going to pass for now.

Kumar, I have an older version of Nik on my MacBook Air, but I've stopped using it. I've tried to buy Nik 3 and ran into a recurring problem: they won't let me open a new account and I have no idea what my old password was. Very frustrating. It should not be so, but my change of locale gives me many app and online problems. 

Edo

21 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Kumar, I have an older version of Nik on my MacBook Air, but I've stopped using it. I've tried to buy Nik 3 and ran into a recurring problem: they won't let me open a new account and I have no idea what my old password was. Very frustrating. It should not be so, but my change of locale gives me many app and online problems. 

Edo

Can you not just use a different email addy for a new account?

Jill

Not falling for this one again Kumar. You persuaded me to buy it just before it became free. Tried it out of interest but never used it in anger.

Allan

5 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Not falling for this one again Kumar. You persuaded me to buy it just before it became free. Tried it out of interest but never used it in anger.

Allan

Kumar should get a free upgrade for his promotional work 😀

• Love 1

18 hours ago, MDM said:

Kumar should get a free upgrade for his promotional work 😀

Doesn't he already have shares in it?

Allan