Has your subject focus changed post Covid-19?

The reason I ask is that I find myself taking more and more photos of plants and gardens and am less inclined to venture into busyish urban areas for obvious reasons (the reward is not worth the risk IMO). What has been your fallback focus if you can no longer snap what comes naturally to you? As an aside to this, I need to invest in a Macro lens for my Nikon D7100 to get crisper focus on plants etc  - any recommendations?

2 minutes ago, Jansos said:

The reason I ask is that I find myself taking more and more photos of plants and gardens and am less inclined to venture into busyish urban areas for obvious reasons (the reward is not worth the risk IMO). What has been your fallback focus if you can no longer snap what comes naturally to you? As an aside to this, I need to invest in a Macro lens for my Nikon D7100 to get crisper focus on plants etc  - any recommendations?

I have furloughed myself.

Allan

• Love 2

Just now, Jansos said:

I hope you are paying yourself the appropriate amount! 😉

Nope! Alamy is.😂

Allan

• Love 1

Jansos,

At work, I do a lot of macro with Nikon gear.

My main lenses for it is the Nikon AF-S Micro 105 F/2.8G IF-ED VR 

I am very happy with it.

A bit heavy at the end of the day, but pretty good.

Have a good day,

Regis

• Love 1

Just now, losdemas said:

Can you send me the link to the application form?

Don't need to apply. I did that years ago when I joined. Sales have been good to me over the last month.😀

Allan

3 minutes ago, Regis said:

Jansos,

At work, I do a lot of macro with Nikon gear.

My main lenses for it is the Nikon AF-S Micro 105 F/2.8G IF-ED VR 

I am very happy with it.

A bit heavy at the end of the day, but pretty good.

Have a good day,

Regis

Thanks Regis. Consensus seems to be that this is the lens to go for but it is about x 2 the price of the equivalent Sigma. Worth it?

2 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Thanks Regis. Consensus seems to be that this is the lens to go for but it is about x 2 the price of the equivalent Sigma. Worth it?

I can't comment on that, as I don't use the Sigma.

Work pay for the gear I use for them.

I mostly photograph very closeup of people.

The Nikon is very good for that.

Edited by Regis
Elaborate a bit...
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Jansos said:

I bought the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM for my Canon some while back now, but it's a lovely lens for ~£330. Nikon version.

3 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I bought an extension tube last week for this very reason. It's something new to learn. (:-)

I like your pic of the 'Stay Home' hedgehog! 🙂

7 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Apologies if this seems pedantic but using the term post-Covid19 carries an implication that the pandemic is over which seems to be what a lot of people are thinking since they relaxed the rules beginning with the Stay Alert slogan. 

Anyway,  from personal experience, I would recommend the Tamron 90 over the Nikon 105 that Regis mentions as it is a bit cheaper, a lot lighter and has far better vibration reduction (VR) than the Nikkor. The Tamron is a superb lens, sharp corner to corner. The Nikkor 105 is also a superb lens but not as sharp as the Tamron and getting long in the tooth as it was one of the first Nikkors to have VR but more recent versions of VR are far better. Good VR is very useful for handheld shots of flowers. If you are sticking with DX format, then one of the 60mm micro-Nikkors might be a better bet though.

• Love 2

1 minute ago, MDM said:

Apologies if this seems pedantic but using the term post-Covid19 carries an implication that the pandemic is over which seems to be what a lot of people are thinking since they relaxed the rules beginning with the Stay Alert slogan. 

Anyway,  from personal experience, I would recommend the Tamron 90 over the Nikon 105 that Regis mentions as it is a bit cheaper, a lot lighter and has far better vibration reduction (VR) than the Nikkor. The Tamron is a superb lens, sharp corner to corner. The Nikkor 105 is also a superb lens but not as sharp as the Tamron and getting long in the tooth as it was one of the first Nikkors to have VR but more recent versions of VR are far better. Good VR is very useful for handheld shots of flowers. If you are sticking with DX format, then one of the 60mm micro-Nikkors might be a better bet though.

Thanks for that MDM. Very useful advice. BTW I wasn't remotely trying to imply that we are 'post Covid-19' - far from it, sadly. Second peak predicted for July. Hospitals and undertakers have apparently been forewarned. 😞

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

If you are sticking with DX format, then one of the 60mm micro-Nikkors might be a better bet though.

Yes, I had for personal work one of the Nikon 60mm Macro on a D2X for many years and loved it.

It was one of my favourite lenses on that body.

(I never use the VR function of the 105, as I work with flash, so I can not comment on it)

Just now, Jansos said:

Thanks for that MDM. Very useful advice. BTW I wasn't remotely trying to imply that we are 'post Covid-19' - far from it, sadly. Second peak predicted for July. Hospitals and undertakers have apparently been forewarned. 😞

I probably should not have said Jansos and I know you didn't mean it that we are really post-Covid-19. I was just having that conversation with my wife a little while back. People seem to think it is fine to go out now whereas the reality is that very little has changed. Likewise I am expecting another peak before too long.

• Love 2

1 minute ago, MDM said:

I probably should not have said Jansos and I know you didn't mean it that we are really post-Covid-19. I was just having that conversation with my wife a little while back. People seem to think it is fine to go out now whereas the reality is that very little has changed. Likewise I am expecting another peak before too long.

Not at all. I totally agree. Clarity is key. Sadly there is not very much of that these days.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Regis said:

Yes, I had for personal work one of the Nikon 60mm Macro on a D2X for many years and loved it.

It was one of my favourite lenses on that body.

(I never use the VR function of the 105, as I work with flash, so I can not comment on it)

The VR on the 105 is disappointing and it doesn't work at all properly close in (less than a metre I guess) whereas the VR and autofocus on the Tamron 90 is amazing. The Nikkor 105 is a beautiful portrait lens though and fine on a tripod close in but the corner to corner sharpness leaves a bit to be desired. I have used both lenses recently for copying slides and the Tamron is the winner for sharpness across the frame.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Jansos said:

Not at all. I totally agree. Clarity is key. Sadly there is not very much of that these days.

Better hold it there before it gets political 😀. I'm off to Sainsbury's.

• Love 1

I have been using the Sigma 105mm macro lens mentioned by Losdemas above for about 6 years. In general I've been very happy with it, and had plenty of sales of photos taken with it. One drawback is that the VR is very noisy - no problem for plants of course, but I often turn it off when doing close-ups of bugs and reptiles, etc. It's showing some wear and tear now, so I've been thinking of upgrading to the Nikon version - I might treat myself soon as I'll be saving money from cancelled holidays this year.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

i actually feel focusless currently.  working on it slowly....

I know how you feel. Some days the lethargy doesn't budge! 😞

• Love 2

Of course the usual travel stuff isn't there- no trip to Split for a start.

Not Alamy material, I don't think, but my first proper studio setup in ages for some still-life- natural forms, ivy on dead logs, lilies, and some light and shade in the forest. As seen on the "nature picture" thread. Take a look.

I'll repeat one here. Lilies.

DSC00296.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Jansos said:

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Better hold it there before it gets political 😀. I'm off to Sainsbury's.

Not at all. "Clarity" is just a slider in Lightroom. See above.;)

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1