Has your subject focus changed post Covid-19?

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Not at all. "Clarity" is just a slider in Lightroom. See above.;)

you only get one slider?  Capture 1 gives us two, Clarity and Structure, plus a pull down to determine the method: Natural, Punch, Classic  😉😷

• Love 1

I stopped visiting my local park due to the crowding being too bad for birds on top of the obvious health concerns, but am finding work shooting protests/editorials for a paper if that counts. I shot that stuff anyway, but it's a far higher proportion now since at least outings for genuine work are justifiable vs just going out to see what I get.

Edited by PuffinsPictures
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Jansos said:

I know how you feel. Some days the lethargy doesn't budge! 😞

Maybe you need a dose of Covid-19 (if you haven't already had it). It does wonders to focus the mind on what is important in life 😃. Only problem is it can bring on some serious fatigue which can counteract the ability to do all those things that have been brought into focus in the first place. You could say it's a Catch 22 situation but I'm calling it Catch-19 😎.   

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

you only get one slider?  Capture 1 gives us two, Clarity and Structure, plus a pull down to determine the method: Natural, Punch, Classic  😉😷

But you don't get Photoshop with Capture 1. I could live without Lightroom at a push but if i had to have only one app it would have to be Photoshop. All that funky conversion stuff can be done organically anyway. 

1 minute ago, MDM said:

But you don't get Photoshop with Capture 1. I could live without Lightroom at a push but if i had to have only one app it would have to be Photoshop. All that funky conversion stuff can be done organically anyway. 

i also don't get a monthly bill, nor a system that has issue with the RAW conversion from my camera ;-) (for my PS needs i have an old element license). 

i actually think both systems are fine, just had issue with the pricing model of one.   

14 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

i also don't get a monthly bill, nor a system that has issue with the RAW conversion from my camera ;-) (for my PS needs i have an old element license). 

i actually think both systems are fine, just had issue with the pricing model of one.   

Yes I'm not a fan of the subscription model either but I am far too embedded in Photoshop and Lightroom to even think of changing. For what you get they are exceptionally good value anyway. I am a heavy duty Photoshop user so do take advantage of a lot of features that are not available in the last perpetual version I own (CS6) which no longer installs anyway on the latest MacOS. 

Since I started learning video seriously during the lockdown, I've invested in Apple's Final Cut Pro rather than even think about subscribing to the full Adobe package. Not a chance of that at the price. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Not at all. "Clarity" is just a slider in Lightroom. See above.;)

There is a lot in the Lightroom menu that is relevant these days....for example:

1) Distortion (how much should be permitted?)

2) Saturation (when is too much?)

3) Highlights (or should they be called lowlights?)

4) White Balance (no doubt one of Agent Orange's favourite controls)

5) Detail/masking  (need I say more? Anyone fancy a trip to a castle up North?) 😉

46 minutes ago, MDM said:

Maybe you need a dose of Covid-19 (if you haven't already had it). It does wonders to focus the mind on what is important in life 😃. Only problem is it can bring on some serious fatigue which can counteract the ability to do all those things that have been brought into focus in the first place. You could say it's a Catch 22 situation but I'm calling it Catch-19 😎.   

Been there, done that. Perhaps that accounts for the lethargy! 🙂

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Jansos said:

Thanks Regis. Consensus seems to be that this is the lens to go for but it is about x 2 the price of the equivalent Sigma. Worth it?

I think so. That was my lens when shooting Nikon. The color rendition from it is beautiful.

B4GKWH.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Been there, done that. Perhaps that accounts for the lethargy! 🙂

No perhaps then. The after effects can be very powerful and exhaustion is a  main symptom. This is being very widely recognised now. The idea of two weeks and off you go is out the window for many. The other thing is that it is unpredictable. I start to think I am better and then splat. However, it does seem to be  improving overall and this fabulous weather is really helping. Best of luck with it. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Sally R said:

I have the second last version of the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD (F004). I'm really happy with it. It is beautifully sharp, and doubles really well as a walk around street photography lens. The most recent version of this lens would be excellent too I think. 

That is the one I have as well. It is a really excellent lens. They increased the price a lot with the new one in 2016 although I can't imagine it is any better. Tamron have been making a 90mm macro lens since the 80s and it has been their real flagship lens over a long time. 

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Yes I find it fantastic. I think quality-wise it is actually my best lens. It is so reliably sharp.

Yeah - forget that Tokina thing. You can't beat perfection and the Tamron 90 is virtually perfect. I  wonder if the Tokina is in the same ballpark (I would want to see a proper review to judge). The Sigma 105 macro which has beem mentioned above also has an excellent reputation but I have never used one.

• Love 1

I've used the Sigma 105mm OS macro on my Canon gear and I can confirm it's an excellent lens.  Lots of my images have been taken with it.  Unfortunately it didn't seem to enjoy a good drop onto the road so I sold it for spares / repair.

• Love 1

23 hours ago, MDM said:

No perhaps then. The after effects can be very powerful and exhaustion is a  main symptom. This is being very widely recognised now. The idea of two weeks and off you go is out the window for many. The other thing is that it is unpredictable. I start to think I am better and then splat. However, it does seem to be  improving overall and this fabulous weather is really helping. Best of luck with it. 

I found in the several times I’ve had pneumonia (sometimes caused by flu) in the past that once your lungs are clear, it still takes a long time to recover. Exactly what you are reporting. I’d feel great, start doing something, and with no gradual waning of strength, I’d be fine one minute then the next I could barely make it to a chair.

This symptom lasted for weeks, sometimes two months. My daughter was hospitalized with pneumonia at age 12 and after xrays showed clear lungs, she did the same. She’d be fine, go out to ride her bike, then come in soon absolutely drained, freckles standing out on a stark white face, lips bloodless.
I don’t know if your lungs were involved, Michael, but if you had the cough, they were.
I had poison ivy in my lungs once and the results were the same as far as a lengthy recovery.

Betty

• Love 2

I’m finding opportunities here at home, mostly outside. So yes, I am shooting differently. I did take one short trip last weekend that mostly was a bust, but did get some wildflowers. I do have a small backload to develop.