Another Dumb Question?

I have an original Sony RX10 Mirrorless. It has a cracked glass or window cover on the back of the camera. It fell off a table. This camera was advertise as water resistant. Do you think, with that crack, I would still be able to use it carefully to shoot in the rain? 

I said it was a dumb question! 🤕

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have an original Sony RX10 Mirrorless. It has a cracked glass or window cover on the back of the camera. It fell off a table. This camera was advertise as water resistant. Do you think, with that crack, I would still be able to use it carefully to shoot in the rain? 

I said it was a dumb question! 🤕

Not a dumb question.

Dumb answer  -- Try it and see.

Allan

• Love 1

If you're into a little fiddly work, you might be able to change the screen yourself. David K. made a video a number of years ago showing how he replaced the screen on his NEX-5 with an inexpensive one that he bought on e-bay. It looked relatively easy, so I was going to try replacing the scratched screen on my NEX-3. However, I never got around to it. There are videos on how to do just about everything now, so perhaps you can find one on replacing the screen on the RX10. Hopefully, the rain is easing up in Liverpool.

Some info from David K. here.

I guess this would only work if the crack on the screen is superficial. I suppose you could just put a protector on top of the crack to help keep the Liverpudlian rain out.

For some reason, this  old Beatles song comes to mind. 😁

Edited by John Mitchell

I would be more worried about whether the shock had caused misalignment of some internals in the camera. But I guess Edo has already ruled that out. 

Yeah, John, I remember DavidK addressing that subject in the long ago. We all miss you, David.

I really like the RX10, It has the nostalgic feel of a film SLR but lighter. And, Allan, I did just take it out in the rain. I had it on my shoulder under my Sligo raincoat. It was no fun and I got no pictures. But . . . I did come up with some ideas of how to capture a few worthwhile rain-in-Liverpool snaps. 

And, Michael, the camera works perfectly. It's a backup to my RX100/6 and a6000. 

Thank you, all, for the not dumb answers. 🙂