Favourite Street Photographers

John Mitchell

There seems to be a lot of interest in street photography among Alamy contributors, so I thought it might be fun to start a thread on favourite street photographers, past and present. One of my ATF's is Manuel Alvarez Bravo. He was based in Mexico City and worked well into his nineties. Chances are that Sr Bravo would not have done well on Alamy, but he was one of the greats IMO, right up there with HCB, whom he knew.

P.S. The website is a bit difficult to navigate. Click on "Manuel Alvarez Bravo" and then "images" in the drop-down menu.

David Alan Harvey

It's great the discoveries you make on here.  Forgive my ignorance - he's new to me, but just a quick look at a couple of galleries on his website and I'll +1 that!

Danny, DAH is a Magnum shooter so you can see his work on the Magnum site. (Do street shooters have to have three names?)

David Alan Harvey

It's great the discoveries you make on here.  Forgive my ignorance - he's new to me, but just a quick look at a couple of galleries on his website and I'll +1 that!

Danny, DAH is a Magnum shooter so you can see his work on the Magnum site. (Do street shooters have to have three names?)

Thanks Ed.  I can't connect to the Magnum site at the moment for some reason, but found David Alan Harvey's personal website.

Will have a look at Magnum later when I can connect.

Danny, I would particularly like you to look at the book Harvey did on Cuba. I love that he shows the island with all its bumps and tears . . . but with an obvious love of the people and that special place.  (God, I would like us to be friends with Cuba again!)  I also like that Harvey sees thing so completely differently than I do, so there's always a surprise.  

Of course Cartier-Brasson and Bruce Davidson were also with Magnum.  I love HCB's earlier work, before he became part of Magnum, as seen in his great book: The Decisive Moment. I still marvel at those images. That's the Rosetta Stone.

Danny, I would particularly like you to look at the book Harvey did on Cuba. I love that he shows the island with all its bumps and tears . . . but with an obvious love of the people and that special place.  (God, I would like us to be friends with Cuba again!)  I also like that Harvey sees thing so completely differently than I do, so there's always a surprise.  

Of course Cartier-Brasson and Bruce Davidson were also with Magnum.  I love HCB's earlier work, before he became part of Magnum, as seen in his great book: The Decisive Moment. I still marvel at those images. That's the Rosetta Stone.

Ed, just browsed through Harvey's Cuba Gallery on Magnum.  He certainly has a way to put across a feel for the island, it's people, and their lives without seeming to judge or intervene in any way.  Real street photography, which I just can't do. A unique talent, for sure.

I spent some time in Honduras (about 9/10 months over four trips, I guess - mostly on the Caribbean coast) and there seem to be a lot of similarities between the two places.  I say seem because I never made it to Cuba, as at the time there was no way to get direct from Honduras to Cuba, as they weren't talking either!

Anyhow, D A Harvey's imagery certainly brings back a lot of the sights, sounds and smells that I associate with that part of the world.  Grand stuff - thanks for the tips - I shall enjoy taking my time over his photos.

My friend Gary also has an eye for street work e.g. http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyshrimpling/5179435388/

As you say, an eye for street work.  It's a genre which never ceases to surprise me and those that excel in it certainly have their eyes constantly open - often with an awareness not just of the visual aspects of life, but of the people and are able to portray what they see as a distinct vision of the world and those who live in it.  Your friend, Gary, does that with a lot of humour and wit, too!

Of interest here is this book that my morning radio (NPR) told me is on the top of the New York Times nonfiction best-sellers list  http://www.humansofnewyork.com 

I didn't find it on the list at all. Hmm. And to me this is not Street . . . calling the images portraits would be more accurate. 

• 2 weeks later...

David Alan Harvey

Yes they do - as does the best ever beyond any doubt, Henri Cartier Bresson.

Ed, you can fly to Cuba from Toronto or Montreal quite easily. There are also cheap flights from Cancun. I'm still hoping to make it to Cuba one of these years (hopefully before Walmart arrives). Too bad Obama hasn't been able to patch things up between the U.S. and Cuba. Looks like it might never happen now. But that's politics for you, eh?

Ed, you can fly to Cuba from Toronto or Montreal quite easily. There are also cheap flights from Cancun. I'm still hoping to make it to Cuba one of these years (hopefully before Walmart arrives). Too bad Obama hasn't been able to patch things up between the U.S. and Cuba. Looks like it might never happen now. But that's politics for you, eh?

Unfortunately, politics is not America's best export. And you're right, but to be fair, Obama has had too much on his plate. 

My ex and her son's family, who live in Montreal, went that way two years ago. I have two legal passports, one USA, the other Irish, so I can fly to Mexico City and go to Cuba from there. But I've decided not to make the trip for other reasons, mostly money. 

Yup, Mexico City is another option. I even know of a good Irish pub there if you ever go. Believe me, I understand the money issue. Travel ain't cheap. However, I find that my travel images of Latin America -- the ones that cost the most to produce -- are the ones that sell consistently. However, one trip south per year is about all I can manage these days. Cuba is definitely on my list. We too aren't doing well with politics these days, if that's any consolation. Fortunately, Canada remains on friendly-ish terms with Cuba, thanks mainly to Pierre Trudeau, who was good friends with Fidel. No doubt you remember Pierre.

Unfortunately, politics is not America's best export. And you're right, but to be fair, Obama has had too much on his plate. 

My ex and her son's family, who live in Montreal, went that way two years ago. I have two legal passports, one USA, the other Irish, so I can fly to Mexico City and go to Cuba from there. But I've decided not to make the trip for other reasons, mostly money. 

Archived