CTR?

Ed Rooney

Question

When zooms drop, the CTR drops too. Is that correct? 

My ranking is still strong in test searches and my BHZ still sits on Page One. My sales for February are just above average expectations . . . but my CTR is falling. Hmmm

For instance, this sold for $700 a few years ago for packaging in the USA.
A coconut meringue cream pie. I have location, at least Oklahoma and USA in the caption and tags. I don’t know how it was searched, but I think for packaging of a product sold in the US, I would imagine at least US or USA would have been included in the search.

I baked it to eat, and at the last minute decided to photograph it.

Just checked, and I don’t have location in caption or tags. But I do have it in the description. Thing is, I’ll bet I had location in the tags at least when it sold. I have reworked my KW and captions since then.

B3NCEJ.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
Add text

10 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

any recommendation? 😉

My recommendation is that all decisions regarding tags should be made by the shooter (a judgement call). As to what I do myself . . .

I have 190 pasta images. When there is something in the frame that IDs where it was taken, I include the location. And if, as in some pictures, the dish is identified with a certain part of Italy (say Spaghetti Bolognese), I will put in Bolognese, or Sicilian, or Roman but not Bologna, Sicily, or Rome. Below is Chitarra Cacio e Pepe, a very Roman dish. I captured it a restaurant in NYC. Most of my pasta snaps where food cooked by me. I guess by now everyone knows they do not do Spaghetti Bolognese in Bologna. They use tagliatelle or anything but spaghetti. 

H8K07F.jpg

Betty, I remember your big pie sale. But I can't see how saying it was taken in Oklahoma had anything to do with it. Meringue is a French word and the recipe is thought to been invented by an Italian chief in the 17th century in Switzerland.

Edited by Ed Rooney

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Every image we submit for stock requires its own judgement call. But I can't say I'm generally in favour of giving a location on most food shots. If I have an overhead closeup of a bowl of pasta that I've snapped in Liverpool or San Miguel de Allende, I would not be putting in those location. If I'd taken the picture in Italy or NY's Little Italy I would. The dish below has the location as UK and Great Britain. 

2B1JKYB.jpg

Sorry Edo but, "YUK".  I hate beef, overdone roast potatoes and runny gravy.

Good picture though. Should sell well in the USA.🤔

Allan

Ed

Don't forget to also add England

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Every image we submit for stock requires its own judgement call. But I can't say I'm generally in favour of giving a location on most food shots. If I have an overhead closeup of a bowl of pasta that I've snapped in Liverpool or San Miguel de Allende, I would not be putting in those location. If I'd taken the picture in Italy or NY's Little Italy I would. The dish below has the location as UK and Great Britain. 

2B1JKYB.jpg

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

My recommendation is that all decisions regarding tags should be made by the shooter (a judgement call). As to what I do myself . . .

I have 190 pasta images. When there is something in the frame that IDs where it was taken, I include the location. And if, as in some pictures, the dish is identified with a certain part of Italy (say Spaghetti Bolognese), I will put in Bolognese, or Sicilian, or Roman but not Bologna, Sicily, or Rome. Below is Chitarra Cacio e Pepe, a very Roman dish. I captured it a restaurant in NYC. Most of my pasta snaps where food cooked by me. I guess by now everyone knows they do not do Spaghetti Bolognese in Bologna. They use tagliatelle or anything but spaghetti. 

H8K07F.jpg

Betty, I remember your big pie sale. But I can't see how saying it was taken in Oklahoma had anything to do with it. Meringue is a French word and the recipe is thought to been invented by an Italian chief in the 17th century in Switzerland.

i meant for a bowl of pasta in San Miguel de Allende 🙂

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's your country and your cuisine, Allan. 😎

Yes I know. That is why I hate it. Rather have a Thai meal any day.😍

Allan

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Good luck with that in Lincolnshire.😉

I like Italian and they have an ASK in Lincoln.

Allan

PS: Just checked and there are three Thai restaurants in Lincoln all with good references.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I like Italian and they have an ASK in Lincoln.

Allan

PS: Just checked and there are three Thai restaurants in Lincoln all with good references.

ITMA

My mistake, I thought you were moving to the back of beyond.

Which in Lincs. is anywhere except Lincoln.

23 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Actually I will be living in a village which is 4 miles from Lincoln centre, and with easy and free access using my travel card on the bus. Only a ten minute walk to the bus stop.

Allan

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Yes I know. That is why I hate it. Rather have a Thai meal any day.😍

Allan

My parents were British, so I sympathize. As I remember, the only spice we had in the kitchen was salt. 😕

As far as "Canadian food" goes, I'm not even sure what it is, apart from maple syrup of course.

Fortunately, Vancouver has every cuisine imaginable -- Italian, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, you name it. I'm not good at food photography, though, so I just end up eating it, which probably doesn't help my CTR.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Speaking as a born and bred “Yellerbelly” I have to take issue with that. For example we have.....??? ermmm, oh and......????? eerrrrr. Actually you may be on to something 😔 do webbed feet count for anything 🤔🤣

• Thanks 1

Allan, I do not have the aversion to British cooking that you do, but the only thing about that lunch that I liked was the lighting. I do like the pub a lot. The Railroad. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat much meat.

Next time I want the proper Sunday lunch, I'll go to one of the big hotels. It's the kind of thing a large country inn does well. In NYC I lived just two blocks from Chinatown, so Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese were all around me. Here in Liverpool, Indian and Middle Eastern have been the best bets. These are called yogurt chat bombs -- yum!

yogurt-chat-bombs-indian-street-food-2B1

How is your health issue coming along? 

Edo

20 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

My parents were British, so I sympathize. As I remember, the only spice we had in the kitchen was salt. 😕

As far as "Canadian food" goes, I'm not even sure what it is, apart from maple syrup of course.

Fortunately, Vancouver has every cuisine imaginable -- Italian, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, you name it. I'm not good at food photography, though, so I just end up eating it, which probably doesn't help my CTR.

interesting that you would mention Vancouver cuisine, skipping Japanese, Korean some of my favourite in the city.  

As for Canadian food, coming from Québec i always had Tourtière, Ragoût de patte de cochon, fêves aux lards, Sugar pie etc....  I remember moving to Toronto and the only thing Ontario specific seemed to be Butter tarts  🙂

if you travel, the only "Canadian" food people know is poutine.....  which doesn't count......  my only Canadian food i miss away, are Montreal Bagels.....  

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, I do not have the aversion to British cooking that you do, but the only thing about that lunch that I liked was the lighting. I do like the pub a lot. The Railroad. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat much meat.

Next time I want the proper Sunday lunch, I'll go to one of the big hotels. It's the kind of thing a large country inn does well. In NYC I lived just two blocks from Chinatown, so Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese were all around me. Here in Liverpool, Indian and Middle Eastern have been the best bets. These are called yogurt chat bombs -- yum!

yogurt-chat-bombs-indian-street-food-2B1

How is your health issue coming along? 

Edo

Those look really yummy.

Health problem?  Thanks for asking though.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

20 hours ago, Bionic said:

Speaking as a born and bred “Yellerbelly” I have to take issue with that. For example we have.....??? ermmm, oh and......????? eerrrrr. Actually you may be on to something 😔 do webbed feet count for anything 🤔🤣

Are you still in Yellerbelly land?

Actually there are lots of interesting things -------------- if you can find them.😧

Allan

On 02/03/2020 at 17:10, Allan Bell said:

Actually I will be living in a village which is 4 miles from Lincoln centre, and with easy and free access using my travel card on the bus. Only a ten minute walk to the bus stop.

Allan

Ah, North Hykeham as well then? A bus in Lincolnshire is a rara avis.

Edited by spacecadet

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting that you would mention Vancouver cuisine, skipping Japanese, Korean some of my favourite in the city.  

As for Canadian food, coming from Québec i always had Tourtière, Ragoût de patte de cochon, fêves aux lards, Sugar pie etc....  I remember moving to Toronto and the only thing Ontario specific seemed to be Butter tarts  🙂

if you travel, the only "Canadian" food people know is poutine.....  which doesn't count......  my only Canadian food i miss away, are Montreal Bagels.....  

Well, I did say "you name it". I often go to Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants in Vancouver as well. I'm not really familiar with Korean food, though. Should give it a try. I've been mostly vegetarian (I do eat fish and shellfish) for decades now, so I miss out on most traditional Quebecois dishes because they tend to be meat-heavy. When I was a kid in Quebec, I really liked Tourtière and of course gorged myself on "patates frites" and other greasy and sugary Quebec delights. As a result, I got very tubby in my early teenage years.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Are you still in Yellerbelly land?

Actually there are lots of interesting things -------------- if you can find them.😧

Allan

I have the dubious pleasure of still living there yes although to be fair there is a fair bit of interest, as you alluded sometimes you just need a bit of yokel knowledge :)