D500 - putting itself into white balance setup !!

Thought my Nikon D500 had died the other day, whilst out on a shoot,  the back display went blank and the top LCD just showed 0.0  however it was taking pictures still.  Having had a play I *think* what is happening is that the power switch is intermittently getting stuck in white balance adjustments. Several turn offs, battery out, then back on cures it, but randomly it will go back to the same.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced similar ?

regards Simon 

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Those Nikons are not made to be rained on. You might consider getting a used Sony RX10 as backup. They are water sealed. 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx10

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/brands/sony/

The Nikon Pro cameras which include the D500 are weather sealed and should be robust against rain. Check this out. 

I'll check your link later, Michael. But I'm wondering how effective weather seals are on DSLRs with changeable lenses. Hmm. All my Nikons are gone now, from my very first Nikon F film body (that I still had) to a D700. Most of the digital kit was sold to MPB in NYC before the fire. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

31 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'll check your link later, Michael. But I'm wondering how effective weather seals are on DSLRs with changeable lenses. Hmm. All my Nikons are gone now, from my very first Nikon F film body (that I still had) to a D700. Most of the digital kit was sold to MPB in NYC before the fire. 

The video in that link is worth watching. They do make these pro ones tough. Even the new Nikon pro mirrorless cameras are supposed to be very well sealed.  But changing lenses in dusty or wet environments is not a good idea. 

On 27/12/2019 at 03:35, Simon said:

Having had a play I *think* what is happening is that the power switch is intermittently getting stuck in white balance adjustments. Several turn offs, battery out, then back on cures it, but randomly it will go back to the same.

regards Simon 

I've had a D500 for couple years.   It's not obvious for me how it's power switch could somehow be stuck in or affect WB adjustment mode.  The power switch has 3 positions - Off /On /LED light. 

For the power switch to become stuck in WB adjustment mode is bizarre indeed.  The WB adjustment button is on top of the multi-button switch on the top left side of D500's body on opposite side from the power switch.

Of course if the body's software is somehow getting confused anything might be possible.

On 05/01/2020 at 18:14, Phil said:

I've had a D500 for couple years.   It's not obvious for me how it's power switch could somehow be stuck in or affect WB adjustment mode.  The power switch has 3 positions - Off /On /LED light. 

For the power switch to become stuck in WB adjustment mode is bizarre indeed.  The WB adjustment button is on top of the multi-button switch on the top left side of D500's body on opposite side from the power switch.

Of course if the body's software is somehow getting confused anything might be possible.

Hi Phil

I've looked again and you are right - it now illuminates the controls, however ( honestly ) before it was bringing up the white balance setting.  at the moment it's behaving

I have all kinds a weird problems with my Nikons through sweat. First signs are a white crust in the hot shoe, joints and screw heads. As I live in the tropics I lost so many cameras to this I ended up forking out for the top body for the sealing but even thats showing some signs after a couple of years. Once it get a hold inside all kinds of wildness happens.

17 minutes ago, Panthera tigris said:

I have all kinds a weird problems with my Nikons through sweat. First signs are a white crust in the hot shoe, joints and screw heads. As I live in the tropics I lost so many cameras to this I ended up forking out for the top body for the sealing but even thats showing some signs after a couple of years. Once it get a hold inside all kinds of wildness happens.

A bit off piste on this thread but it may be worth you taking a look at Pentax, they are designed for more extreme conditions and have robust weather sealing. Promotional videos show them being buried in mud and washed in a shower, and I have never had ill effects from rain and sea spray. The lenses have different categories of sealing with the star series being the highest, and the flashes are claimed to be weather resistant too although I have never risked them yet! 

Been working with NIKON's, first in the 70's and again went back to F mount in 1989 and still all NIKON.

My D800's and 700 have been through a lot and for the most part never had a problem, knock on wood.

Sounds like a electronic problem, one that may require boards being replaced or it may be something

as simple as a C&C?

One of my D800's had a large spot on the sensor and I dropped it off at one of the last "real camera stores"

in Boston, MA to be cleaned.  When I got the camera back the sensor was clean but the AF did not work

at all.  They loaned me another D800 while they sent it to NIKON in Melville, NY and it has worked perfectly

ever since.

Chuck

On 13/01/2020 at 13:24, Rob Lavers said:

A bit off piste on this thread but it may be worth you taking a look at Pentax, they are designed for more extreme conditions and have robust weather sealing. Promotional videos show them being buried in mud and washed in a shower, and I have never had ill effects from rain and sea spray. The lenses have different categories of sealing with the star series being the highest, and the flashes are claimed to be weather resistant too although I have never risked them yet! 

Will do.  I know there was a photographer from PA who was down at the same spot that I go to and he got himself and his D4 completely swamped in a wave .. it killed it there an then.