Just curious really...

It has been said (multiple times) on this forum that newspapers getting images via the newspaper scheme do not get to view images by contributors who are not signed up to the newspaper scheme,  However, I am seeing a number of (OK - perhaps common) searches in My Alamy, which then appear the next day or so in reports on the 'Have You Seen...' threads for newspaper articles.  As I am not signed up to the NS, then I am unlikely to get any sales here and it's not too huge a deal for me (even though I am a leettle peeved that I may be losing out on sales, but hey - my decision!), but my personal experience does seem to suggest that someone is searching the general catalogue for images which do then appear in the papers.

So what's going on: am I just extrapolating information from one area and randomly assigning it to another without any justification?  Or will a picture editor from a newspaper use a different account to search the main catalogue just to check that they are not missing out on something more suitable for their story?

If I am correct in my assumptions, then specifically, it seems to be the Guardian doing this (though possibly others - don't really recall).

If I'm wrong - then is it written in stone somewhere that non-NS contributors are not viewed by papers who use this scheme?

If I am correct in my assumptions, then specifically, it seems to be the Guardian doing this (though possibly others - don't really recall).

Maybe the Guardian is not in the scheme?

I thought they were - may someone else can confirm one way or t'other?

The last source has been James A: I've asked him directly on this forum, and his reply was:

To answer your other question, if you're a client that's in the scheme and you're logged into the site you will only see images in the search results that are opted in.

wim

edit: typo

Thanks for your answers, everyone.  I just went to the sign-up page for the NS and saw this:  "...these schemes are only in operation with a select group of customers. Opting out will result in those customers not seeing your images."

So...presuming therefore that the Guardian are in the scheme, I guess that this must just be coincidence.  I'll get my paranoid mind working overtime on something else now: I put it down to too much lateral (rather than literal) thinking while keywording ;):D !

Thanks very much for your input.

I had a newspaper sale the week before I joined the newspaper scheme and several more since. The first one got about 3 times the money of the scheme sales. But, on the other hand, I have had far more news sales since joining, and I know there are more in the pipeline. 

May we ask what the fee was? Most NS fees are pretty low.

If this question is related to me then i can say i dont know yet. I only found the image on their website. I still have to wait for the report.

Don't book a table at your favourite restaurant - scheming newspapers pay out between $5-$10 net - if they have to buy an image outside the scheme they seem to pay three or four times as much. Telegraph, Mail and Guardian are almost certainly taking full advantage of the scheme - not sure about the Indy. The trouble is that they all seem to get the massive advantages as well as the low initial costs.

So the question seems to be: do picture editors log out to see more images? And if so, how do they then order an image that is outside of the scheme?

Do they have more than one account? Would they at all been allowed to?

We know contributors can have more than one account, so why not clients.

Btw having two accounts may solve some problems that contributors are having with the various schemes.

A different (and very logical) approach of course would be to group all restrictions in one place: at the image level, where we currently set the restrictions. This way we could keep some images out of all or some of the various schemes.

wim

I may be able to add something to this discussion.  I have two accounts with Alamy, one was in the scheme and the other wasn't.  I was going through measures and noticed a particular search which resulted in a click for the opted-in account but that same search did not appear in the opted-out account even though I had similar images in both.  The click resulted in a sale to the Telegraph or Guardian (can't recall which) and was found by a forum member so I know that it was a search by a newspaper in the scheme.

It is of course possible to sell to newspapers that are themselves outside the scheme whether you are opted in or out and the prices are higher.

Pearl

I'm not in the scheme and never have been. I made a sale earlier this year to the Times at a price which is almost equal to my overall average (i.e. not peanuts). So if the Times is in the scheme that suggests they most definitely do search outside it.

Alan

"then appear the next day or so in reports on the 'Have You Seen...' threads for newspaper articles.

if its a news story then i'd expect a number of papers/magazines/websites/tv channels will all be searching for stock images on Alamy and elsewhere, and all probably using the the same or very similar search terms

km

Archived