Sign in to follow this  
Harry Harrison

The danger of walking by the coast in rough seas

I am in no way trying to draw any comparisons with the tragic death of Keith Morris, there is no official explanation for that, but this video from Meridian TV does graphically illustrate the dangers:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1191387427182727169

Edited by Harry Harrison
typo

Every adult can make their own decisions for their own person but This guy is a moron for taking his young boy there

• Sad 1

“A sneaker wave is a wave that is extremely large and usually appears unexpectedly. It can also be termed as a king wave or sleeper wave. These waves are coastal waves that are unexpectedly larger than the previous waves. Sleeper waves are called so because they are sneaky and appear with no warning after periods of smaller waves; pauses that last ten to twenty minutes. They often sweep unsuspecting swimmers out of the sea since they appear unexpectedly. They are also known to carry people standing or walking on the beach into the sea.”

I was an unsuspecting victim of one the first time I was by the sea. Luckily I was on a small cliff with the waves well below when the sneaker wave hit and only soaked my legs. Had I been at sea level, I would have been gone. As we moved down the Oregon coast, we came across a seaside large sign warning about these waves. There have been a dozen or more deaths from them in Oregon since 2005.

Betty

Just to see the wet area implies that the sea has reached it and if there is rough sea, avoid it.