Mirrorless camera OK?

I am wondering if others have had any problems getting through QC with the current generation of mirror-less cameras?

I have been shooting with a Canon 60D and am considering moving to the new Canon RP, since its smaller and lighter.

-Best regards, from Canada, Rob

On 28/09/2019 at 00:20, robvann said:

I am wondering if others have had any problems getting through QC with the current generation of mirror-less cameras?

I have been shooting with a Canon 60D and am considering moving to the new Canon RP, since its smaller and lighter.

I use fuji mirrorless (x T-10 and now x T-30) and have had no problems.

• Like 2

I can understand why you might want to ask the question but in your case you would be going from a relatively old design 18MP APS-C sensor (2010) to a new full frame 26MP sensor so the image quality is  going to be better in all areas I would think, the fact that it is mirrorless is immaterial to Alamy QC. For you the shooting experience is going to be slightly different because of the electronic viewfinder but smaller and lighter is a big bonus of course.

• Like 1

Hi Rob -  A lot of forum threads will show you that lots of Alamy shooters ( well, forumites anyway) have been using aps-c and full-frame mirrorless for a long time now, and even cameras with 1" sensors, especially the Sony RX-100's. I've been using the Sony a6000/a6300 etc for several years now with nary a QC issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JSaunders said:

I use fuji mirrorless (x T-10 and now x T-30) and have had no problems.

Actually I have been evaluating the T-30 as well.

My challenge is that I am used to using the Canon F4 USM 24-105 Lens which gets me effectively 170mm zoom, which I want.

I am learning that the size / weight of the camera is really related to the size / quality of the lens.

==> I didn't really see any good options in the Fuji T-30 realm that would give me the 170mm zoom I am used to?

Even for the Canon RP, it has the equivalent R series lens I have now, but the weight only drops from 800g to 700g or so...

On 28/09/2019 at 00:20, robvann said:

Quality is entirely down to the size and resolution of the sensor - mirrored or mirrorless makes no difference. If you're moving to an RP, you're going full frame, and that larger sensor with higher resolution will considerably increase the quality of your files.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robvann said:

Actually I have been evaluating the T-30 as well.

My challenge is that I am used to using the Canon F4 USM 24-105 Lens which gets me effectively 170mm zoom, which I want.

I am learning that the size / weight of the camera is really related to the size / quality of the lens.

==> I didn't really see any good options in the Fuji T-30 realm that would give me the 170mm zoom I am used to?

Even for the Canon RP, it has the equivalent R series lens I have now, but the weight only drops from 800g to 700g or so...

I have this and I'm happy with  it. https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/lenses/fujinon-xc50-230mm-f4-5-6-7-ois-mk-ii-black

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robvann said:

Fujifilm makes the FUJINON LENS XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR   lens review

Fujifilm also just released the FUJINON LENS XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR            lens review

Both lens are designed to be weather resistant and use a very effective optical image stabilization. I just ordered the XF 16-80 which as received great reviews, it will be replacing my already outstanding XF 18-55mm. I would recommend you consider the Fujifilm camera system as they listen to photographers and consistently offer new features and upgrades via firmware updates.

Hope this helps,

David L. Moore

• Like 2

I had a few QC fails when I switched to a mirrorless Sony Nex-3 back in 2012. However, the fault lay with the photographer, not with the camera. Once I figured out how to use it properly, my Nex-3, which still works fine, went on to pay for itself many time over. Later on, I graduated to a Sony NEX-6 and now use the Sony a6000. I like both these mirrorless cameras very much, especially the a6000 and have had no problems at all with QC. I sometimes miss the feel of a bigger DSLR, but overall no regrets. Mirrorless is good. 

• Like 2

On 27/09/2019 at 18:20, robvann said:

Been using both Fujifilm X-T1 and X-T2 for stock photos for a few years with no QC problems.

34 minutes ago, dlmphotog said:

Fujifilm also just released the FUJINON LENS XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR            lens review

Wow, 'interesting" doesn't even begin to describe him, I haven't come across him before but it looks like there's a lot of catching up to do. A bit of a maverick on magnetism I gather.

I hadn't heard about the new 16-80 either, that's a very impressive review and it does seem like the ideal alternative to Canon's 24-105mm, at least in its full-frame role, thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

Wow, 'interesting" doesn't even begin to describe him

Yes, Ken is something else again... But I trust his reviews as he has no way to profit from them. No affiliate links or merchandise.

Edited by dlmphotog

I went from a Canon 5DII to a Sony NEX 6 and have since moved on to a Sony a6500. Never had a QC failure with either camera. I'm not wild about Sony kit lenses, I've not yet found one that can match the Canon 24-105 for wall to wall sharpness on full frame, but you can fit virtually any old lens to the Sony, using an appropriate adapter. I still have the Canon 5D, and use it occasionally in the house, but the little Sony is my standard stock camera. The sensor is excellent, and, becoming longer in the tooth, I much prefer to carry the much lighter camera. Then there is the viewfinder, the current crop of electronic viewfinders are superior, in my view, to the optical viewfinders to be found on  DSLRs. It's possible to zoom in at 5 or 10 times magnification to check the focus, while contrast detect focusing is a boon. The king is dead, long live the king!

15 hours ago, JSaunders said:

Or you can look at this lens. It's supposed to be a wee bit better quality, but bigger, heavier and costs more. https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/lenses/fujinon-xf55-200mm-f3-5-4-8-r-lm-ois

i actually surprisingly really like this lense more than i excepted.  first got it for few times i needed the long side of spectrum,  but have started using it at short side (disclaimer I'm a nomad, so limited in number of lenses i will own and carry).

however after reading the other posts, I'm going to a shop in next big town i reach to have a look at the 16-80 f4

Whilst on the subject of mirrorless, Fuji have unofficially announced their new X-Pro3. The most obvious and radical new feature is a screen which you have to flip down to view but otherwise displays a small LCD mimicking the end of a film box with basic information only. An interesting development and something of a purists camera, rather like a half-way house to the Leica M10-D or the M Edition 60 before it, but in a mainstream camera. It's maybe not the perfect Alamy camera but I rather like the sound of it. I was wondering what camera manufacturers might do once the race to get more pixels petered out.

https://www.35mmc.com/30/09/2019/fuji-x-pro-3-design-philosophy-i-can-get-on-board-with/