Jump to content
  • 0
Allan Bell

Alamy image reference

Question

Any body else noticed that we have gone from W***** to 2***** from the 17th to 19th September?

 

Allan

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Wow! My new images, uploaded last night, are labeled 2A07....

Glad you pointed that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

My last image taken on the 15th September was still given an ID beginning with 'W'. We knew Alamy were going to have to change their ID numbering system in some way soon.. I had expected them to get to the end of the alphabet first though! 🙂

Edited by Matt Ashmore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I uploaded on the 17th and it was still on the Wxxxxxx format but my submission on the 19th was 2xxxxxxxxx so judging by whats being said above the change was on the 18th/19th refresh. Not that I'd noticed I have to admit. As Matt Ashmore pointed out it seems odd they never made it to the end of the alphabet though 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Maybe between the 17th and 19th Alamy accepted a few million images from a new source.

 

Last time I looked Alamy had 160,000,000 or thereabout. Now 174,287,873.

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

 

Just did a double take and realised the new Alamy reference numbers for our images are SEVEN digits not six. In my first post the 2***** should have been 2******. Yes one extra star.😦

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 22/09/2019 at 16:57, Allan Bell said:

 

Just did a double take and realised the new Alamy reference numbers for our images are SEVEN digits not six. In my first post the 2***** should have been 2******. Yes one extra star.😦

 

Allan

 

 

Is this why measures is struggling.... Is this Alamy's equivalent of a Y2K change? 

 

Mark

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I only noticed when 2A0NFM7 came in as a sale today. I've seen plenty of 69 plates (UK) but haven't yet seen one spaced suggestively. I did wonder whether the DVLA wouldn't risk it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Has anyone else had any weird "disappearing" images where something that has been zoomed now goes to effectively a 404 page? I have a zoom from the last month which doesn't bbring up an image when i click on it - the reference is 2AOJHW , which also gives no result in search!  I haven't deleted any images recently.

IF only they'd make it easy to include images in posts, i could show you a screen shot *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 minutes ago, KateR said:

Has anyone else......

No I haven't, but my measures hasn't updated yet today so maybe there's an issue. Perhaps try again once it's updated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, KateR said:

Has anyone else had any weird "disappearing" images where something that has been zoomed now goes to effectively a 404 page? I have a zoom from the last month which doesn't bbring up an image when i click on it - the reference is 2AOJHW , which also gives no result in search!  I haven't deleted any images recently.

IF only they'd make it easy to include images in posts, i could show you a screen shot *sigh*

 

That is a six figure reference you are quoting.

 

New 2A0 reference is seven figures. There should be something after the "W".

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, KateR said:

Has anyone else had any weird "disappearing" images where something that has been zoomed now goes to effectively a 404 page? I have a zoom from the last month which doesn't bbring up an image when i click on it - the reference is 2AOJHW , which also gives no result in search!  I haven't deleted any images recently.

IF only they'd make it easy to include images in posts, i could show you a screen shot *sigh*

 

yes, looks like a bug. images are seven digits now, yet the "zoomed" thumbnail and follow-thru url in the pseudonym summary page still expects a six digit id, or that it truncates any id number greater than six digits in length.

 

ztlxffv.gif

Edited by sooth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
38 minutes ago, sooth said:

 

yes, looks like a bug. images are seven digits now, yet the "zoomed" thumbnail and follow-thru url in the pseudonym summary page still expects a six digit id, or that it truncates any id number greater than six digits in length.

 

ztlxffv.gif

 

Suggest reporting this directly to Alamy contributor services (contributors@alamy.com)

Let's hope there aren't too many more gremlins associated with the change to 7 character codes. I imagine when the original software was written the software engineer(s) couldn't conceive that Alamy would be hosting so many images.

 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 27/09/2019 at 12:14, KateR said:

Has anyone else had any weird "disappearing" images where something that has been zoomed now goes to effectively a 404 page? I have a zoom from the last month which doesn't bbring up an image when i click on it - the reference is 2AOJHW , which also gives no result in search!  I haven't deleted any images recently.

IF only they'd make it easy to include images in posts, i could show you a screen shot *sigh*

Measures has just updated, and I have four 2A images all of which are missing the last digit and thumbnail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
41 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Measures has just updated, and I have four 2A images all of which are missing the last digit and thumbnail.

Same here ! I just wonder if there's an issue with ALL of the 7 characters image refs or just with SOME...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Same here ! I just wonder if there's an issue with ALL of the 7 characters image refs or just with SOME...

I'd imagine it's all seven digit numbers, with some of the software unable to handle the longer numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I'd imagine it's all seven digit numbers, with some of the software unable to handle the longer numbers.

Could be! At least the photos show up in searches ...:-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Could be! At least the photos show up in searches ...:-)

Thankfully I've sold one already (though just a PU) otherwise I'd fear that the purchasing system might also not handle seven figures. It does make you wonder though how much of Alamy's software can't cope with the new numbering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

 

I have contacted Alamy and they are aware of the problems being expressed above.

 

Allan

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

I have contacted Alamy and they are aware of the problems being expressed above.

 

Allan

 

I received a reply after flagging it up that the issue had been fixed, but mine are still broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.