Computer Techs

Liam Bunce

Question

Are there any computer tech's amongst all of you fantastic photographers?

Monitor will not work message saying no signal from computer, I have disconnected cable's and reconnected made sure all are secure but still no luck.

The sad thing is that the guarantee only ran out 3 months ago.

16 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Liam Bunce said:

Computer is hp pavillion 500, all lights are on and it sounds to be running fine, the message states (there is no signal coming from comp, press any key or move mouse to wake it up, if there is no display press the monitor button to select the correct input source on the on screen display menu). 

Unable to get any display menu when monitor button is selected. It is the only moitor that i have therfore unable to check if that works.

The button is on the monitor. The on screen menu is there even when there's no computer attached.

Simply cleaning a monitor can cause it to switch to a different source. That's why this is the first thing to look for.

If there are no external forces, like cleaners, movers or pet rodents, cables very very seldom go bad on their own.

wim

20 hours ago, Liam Bunce said:

Thank you all for your comments and advice now sorted.

I had to get a tech man out as nothing was working that I tried, apparently it was something to do with the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 that went wrong when updating, so not too expensive.

This latest upgrade is the buggiest I've ever experienced. And the Spring Update should be out in April. Here we go again! 🙂

Thank you all for your comments and advice now sorted.

I had to get a tech man out as nothing was working that I tried, apparently it was something to do with the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 that went wrong when updating, so not too expensive.

On 10/03/2019 at 13:31, Starsphinx said:

Starting from the cheap end - have you tried a different cable?  In my experience it is far more often the case that a cable has gone down than either the computer or the monitor.  

+1 always check cable as first priority

15 minutes ago, Liam Bunce said:

I'll have another look.

Wim is right, inadvertent changeof source is the most common cause, and cheapest to fix. There  is usually a row 4-6  buttons either down the side or under the bottom edge. The function legend is sometimes just a small moulded icon and may be difficult to see. On mine it includes the on/off button but that is not always the case.

Google the monitor spec and search for the manual.

11 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

The button is on the monitor. The on screen menu is there even when there's no computer attached.

Simply cleaning a monitor can cause it to switch to a different source. That's why this is the first thing to look for.

If there are no external forces, like cleaners, movers or pet rodents, cables very very seldom go bad on their own.

wim

I'll have another look.

26 minutes ago, Liam Bunce said:

Computer is hp pavillion 500, all lights are on and it sounds to be running fine, the message states (there is no signal coming from comp, press any key or move mouse to wake it up, if there is no display press the monitor button to select the correct input source on the on screen display menu). 

Unable to get any display menu when monitor button is selected. It is the only moitor that i have therfore unable to check if that works.

Plug it into the laptop you're writing these posts on.

Is there a way of changing the input choice?

Could be a hidden button on the monitor somewhere, leading to a menu on screen.

Could be this is now set for the wrong input - HDMI; DVI-D or DisplayPort.

If this doesn't solve it: what has changed? Or what was the last thing you did with your computer? What could have happened in between?

Do you have access to a different monitor? Try that. If the outcome is the same, it's likely not the monitor. Could still be the input choice on the monitor or the cable.

Is your computer using a graphics card or it's integrated GPU?

And so on.

wim

If the monitor reports no signal from computer that means the monitor input is not receiving any data from the computer graphics card. Usually this is a problem with the computer, not the monitor.  

Try connecting the monitor to another computer, if you can, to see if the same message shows up, this will at least confirm whether the monitor is faulty or not.

Troubleshooting a faulty computer or graphics card is more difficult. It may help if you can supply some information on what kind of computer you have and what kind of video lead you are using to connect to the monitor.

Archived