POD sales on Alamy

I've disengaged from that American site (being a  cheapskate  I hardly engaged, never paid any fees), but can't help but wonder if Alamy isn't missing a trick by not more aggressively  marketing this service and maybe considering ways to promote it and make it more attractive for both contributors and buyers.

Thinking aloud, is there any merit in having contributors earmarking images they feel are particularly suitable for this market? I have many dreary shots that are sound editorial material but no-one in their right mind would want to have them printed and mounted on a wall. Directing buyers to a subset of more appropriate photos might be advantageous .

Moving away from the traditional anything goes model, could there be some editorial involvement in the selection? 

Could there be links to products associated with POD, and maybe a different feel to the website entirely with a different entry point?

My sales on the American POD site have dropped significantly, but it still pays for itself many times over. I'm often surprised at what people order prints of, not what I might expect. Sales have completely dried up on another "flaky" European POD website.

I'd only be happy to see Alamy expand its POD services/options if we were able to set our own prices. At the current piddly prices, what would be the point?

47 minutes ago, amycicconi said:

Alamy allows POD via Art.com once the purchase is completed.  It's already there.  But that capability is buried.

I'd love to see a spinoff site focusing on this.  This would allow all my eggs to be in one basket!

Wouldn't you prefer to be able set your own (fair) prices for prints?

46 minutes ago, amycicconi said:

Also I think earmarking images and/or possibly some editorial oversight for POD is a good idea.  Wading through 155 million images is counter productive, when many are not logical for POD type usage.

I've had illogicals sell as prints on that American POD site.

20 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

My average commission on that site over the last two years is $54 per sale. I think I'll just keep my POD sales there, thanks.

Moi aussi. I had a POD commission (also from that site) of over twice that much hit my bank account this month.

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

My sales on the American POD site have dropped significantly, but it still pays for itself many times over. I'm often surprised at what people order prints of, not what I might expect. Sales have completely dried up on another "flaky" European POD website.

I'd only be happy to see Alamy expand its POD services/options if we were able to set our own prices. At the current piddly prices, what would be the point?

Yes, to have any positive impact, and as a reward for getting involved and doing the work, the contributor would need to be able to specify sensible prices and maybe we would need to kick PU into touch.

13 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Interestingly my American POD had 3 image visits today from 
Abingdon - United Kingdom on 12/21/2018 at 08:58 AM

Coincidence ??????

I've had dozens from Abingdon (and fron Beijing) today, as most days.

From Abbie Shores:

Beverly Hills and a couple of others are main mobile routers.

Romeo
China
Guangzhou
Sunnyvale
and several others not mentioned here are search bots.

If you know about bots you can ignore this bit.

Why do we need bots…. and why should you allow them some access to your site

A search engine is a site that allows people to put in a search term and find a site for what they are looking for.

A bot, or web crawler, is the little programme (think of a little robot made up of 0s and 1s) who runs around around the web with a thousand mates, checking out all the sites by following links. One link leads to another 5 links and those 5 links lead to another 10 links etc etc. The bots all scurry around and report back to the big programme, the search engine, what they find on the pages the links lead to.

The search engine waits, all knowing and, when someone then comes along and asks for FISH, the search engine smiles to itself and, patting a bot on the head that brought back the FISH descriptions, tells the person all the sites that are talking about fish.

Abingdon and others are mentioned later in this  thread, and on other previoius threads in the same context. I also get lots of visits from Cupertino,

Me too. I wondered if it was prompted by some work I did to remove "Only Available on Alamy" from the images I also have there. Right now I'm just holding still and waiting to see what the 50% for exclusive actually means in practice. If indeed it happens that way.

Paulette

On 12/20/2018 at 14:38, Bill Kuta said:

My average commission on that site over the last two years is $54 per sale. I think I'll just keep my POD sales there, thanks.

The kind of images I post on the POD site are unique to it. I do artistic things to them, add textures, use filters, etc.  I posted about 30 of them on Alamy, but when PU came in selling for peanuts, I deleted them. I did it early on before the public got onto the PU train and none had sold here anyway.  I usually make more there in a year than here.

Betty

Yeah, my POD income has varied from 18% to 120% of my Alamy income (not in that order). I explained all this in an email to contributors@. I'm glad the subject has come up, because I've been neglecting the POD site. No more.

The Abingdon bot is an old one--I see it in my visitors back to 2010.

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

Me too. I wondered if it was prompted by some work I did to remove "Only Available on Alamy" from the images I also have there. Right now I'm just holding still and waiting to see what the 50% for exclusive actually means in practice. If indeed it happens that way.

Paulette

I don't interpret having images available on FAA for print sales only to be a violation of exclusivity for stock sales on Alamy as long as you don't make them available for stock licensing at FAA. Perhaps Alamy can clarify on whether this it acceptable to them. I never had an image license through FAA anyway, so deactivating their stock feature wasn't a big deal.

8 hours ago, TABan said:

I don't interpret having images available on FAA for print sales only to be a violation of exclusivity for stock sales on Alamy as long as you don't make them available for stock licensing at FAA. Perhaps Alamy can clarify on whether this it acceptable to them. I never had an image license through FAA anyway, so deactivating their stock feature wasn't a big deal.

I think there was a statement recently that led me to believe I should not claim to be exclusive with Alamy for anything that was on FAA. I certainly could be wrong and I think it ought to be as you say. When this settles down we should be able to clarify our position. I've basically been clicking the 'Only on Alamy" box as I go along but never did it for all my images. I need to do massive re-keywording of old images and have kept putting it off. Now I want to wait until we know what's going on.

Paulette

10 hours ago, TABan said:

James said on the most recent video that the terms would be thrashed out and published in the first quarter.

I can't see any point in us speculating about it before then.

Archived