News about Flickr.

I've always been a bit wary of free services and have not used Flickr much. My smugmug home page etc. is on a paid package deal, so I'd expect nothing will be deleted there any time soon. (not using it for storage, though I assume some of my clients might use their client folders on my site as quasi storage until I tell them the that I'm eventually taking their folder offline :D I am generally rather put off by online storage options so am keeping 3 copies of everything and their granddaughter in a myriad of external drives in various countries. Talk about not trusting online services...) 

On a more serious note - was there anything in Flickr's t&c's that told people they could use Flickr as free storage, or was it just an 'assumed' allowance that users simply took for granted? Am just curious.

Well, I have just checked my Flickr - having missed uploading since July.  I usually chose a handful of pictures at a time to upload - have been doing so only since 2014, and I have 1193 photos there.  Ones I want to share, nowhere near my whole output. 

1000 pictures is less than 3 years if someone uploads one picture once a day.

I guess I will just have to download the lot and close my account - and put some serious effort into working out how to use instagram, which I have just not clicked with.

I haven't logged into my Flickr for 6 months. First picture uploaded in 2005. I expected it to become more commercial since it was bought from Yahoo. Last night I had 1500 photos on Flickr. Have started a mass deleting session, 150 + gone already, mainly older ones. All my photos were small jpg's longest side 1200 - 1600 pixels, never uploaded full size as some did for free storage or backup. Full size images always backed up on multiple hard drives.

It's a tedious job deleting as time permits, aim to reduce to around 750 before the deadline. I pity those who uploaded huge numbers of full size images expecting continuous free storage. 

16 hours ago, ACC said:

If you’re using Flickr for storage - look out. 1000 images is a low threshold for pro/ semi pro photographers.

But professionals usually expect to pay for services, so it's irrelevant.

Alan

Thanks for the information.

I don't use Flickr for storage, but I do have a small collection of shots on there. In 11 years I've only uploaded 239 photos. I tend to up-load quirky stuff that I like, some of which is for sale here, it's all marked copyright and very low resolution.. A 1000 shot limit isn't going to trouble me in the least.

I've taken photos for the best part of 60 years, but when I got more seriously into it after retirement I started looking at Flickr and, amid the tons of dross, there are some really good photographers using it. I learned a lot by  studying their pictures. 

On 02/11/2018 at 18:12, imageplotter said:

On a more serious note - was there anything in Flickr's t&c's that told people they could use Flickr as free storage, or was it just an 'assumed' allowance that users simply took for granted? Am just curious.

Until this recently announced change, a free Flickr account came with an incredible amount (1tb!) of space and it seems from comments on their forum that a lot of pople were taking full advantage of it. Thats an awful lot of hi-res video or large tiff files! Can't say I blame them for wanting to prune that right back. To get unlimited space its now going to be US$50 per year for a "Pro" account which seems pretty cheap to me.

6 hours ago, Richard Laidler said:

Until this recently announced change, a free Flickr account came with an incredible amount (1tb!) of space and it seems from comments on their forum that a lot of pople were taking full advantage of it. Thats an awful lot of hi-res video or large tiff files! Can't say I blame them for wanting to prune that right back. To get unlimited space its now going to be US$50 per year for a "Pro" account which seems pretty cheap to me.

I dont see a problem with the whole disallow 1TB but the 1000 images is kind of arbitrary for those of us trying to use it Flickr how it wants us too - as a sharing community - who have deliberately uploaded small files, are taking up a fraction of space, but have more than the number.  If they reduced size not a problem -  but I could go and be silly delete all my images and upload full sized files of half my pictures to use double the space I am now but get back within the new rule - which is stupid.  It is punishing people who do it right using small files to share and rewarding those using it to store 999 large files.

6 hours ago, Richard Laidler said:

I paid for the Pro Account, $25 per year for a number of years. In January the price will double to $50. That may be 'pretty cheap' but it's a big jump, and clearly needs some consideration about whether it is worth continuing.

Archived