A bit of Friday navel-gazing before heading out to actually act on recent searches and get some more pictures up.

Looking at my figures for Zooms/Sales in AlamyMeasures, I have had ~40 zooms in the last 5 months (of which, 6 were zoomed and/or viewed by reference # - some more than once), yet I have only had 2 sales.  The zooms are spread fairly evenly across each of the last 5 moths, BTW.

I know that many say that most of their sales come from images which haven't been zoomed, but I would have thought that he ratio would have been a little better?  So...

• How does your zooms:sales ratio compare?
  • Am I due a sudden rush of sales a month (or three) down the line or should I get the deposit back for the Maserati now?
  • Should I spend more time behind the lens and less time looking at stats which probably mean close to b***er all?! :)

Any comments (however flippant - or serious) welcome - it is a Friday, after all.  Have a good weekend!

Very few of my zooms have turned into sales and most sales haven't been zoomed (well, they probably have but don't show up in the stats).

I had a dozen zooms about a month ago, each on a different image from the same set. I haven't sold any yet and my feeling is someone was searching for something else and my set were shown due to keywords having two different meanings. I think they just got interested and had a look at mine before going on with what they were really looking for.

I've also had my first zoom on reference number so I'm hopeful that will result in a sale down the line.

I had 15 zooms in Aug, one pic zoomed three times. One pic used by the express but nothing showing for anything else. It might be other alamy folk looking at profiles to see portfolios?

Those in-house looks don't register as zooms, Paul.

Isn't the recording of views (and by extension CTR) a bit pointless?  The "views" I've see so far are along the lines of a bearded man in a long coat appearing in a search for "long beard", sure it will pop up with other thumbs but would never be "zoomed".  It just seems like a case of showing some form of activity on a portfolio where nothing meaningful is actually happening.

Isn't the recording of views (and by extension CTR) a bit pointless?  The "views" I've see so far are along the lines of a bearded man in a long coat appearing in a search for "long beard", sure it will pop up with other thumbs but would never be "zoomed".  It just seems like a case of showing some form of activity on a portfolio where nothing meaningful is actually happening.

I think that's precisely the point: a heap of views with no zooms (or more to the point, no sales) should suggest that people perhaps want to see a different beard than the one you have!  Therefore you would get some other beards up there with varying lengths, colours, maybe frame them a little differently, put a smile or a frown on the face behind the beard, etc. etc.

Very few of my zooms have turned into sales and most sales haven't been zoomed (well, they probably have but don't show up in the stats).

I had a dozen zooms about a month ago, each on a different image from the same set. I haven't sold any yet and my feeling is someone was searching for something else and my set were shown due to keywords having two different meanings. I think they just got interested and had a look at mine before going on with what they were really looking for.

I've also had my first zoom on reference number so I'm hopeful that will result in a sale down the line.

I've had that feeling, too!  Specially when I see my zooms on a keyword, then multiple other combinations of the keywords with multiple other zooms.

Keep on plugging!

Ratio about 6:1 but like Alex many sales are never zoomed. The time lag from search/zoom to sale is often months. A fair few take the best part of a year. Longer than that of course and you can't find out.

<gulp>Don't know if I'll last that long!</gulp>

6:1 should give me a few more sales, then.  Fingers x'd.

About 5% of my zooms, turn into sales. Most of my sales do not appear to come from zooms at all!

If that's the same for me, then I've had my fair share of sales!  Shucks.  The two sales I have had both had zooms.  Funny thing is, the zoom for the first licence came after I reported it appearing in a mag.  Almost as if they were trying to justify the (later) licensing period!

I also have a 6:1 zoom to sale ratio, but they seem mostly unrelated.

A search for a specific image ref is usually a good indicator of a sale coming up.

I think a zoom is just an indicator that an image stands out enough to be noticed.

Archived