Smallest alamy approved camera.

Hi

I am looking for a cheap smallest possible camera which Alamy will accept, with a basic optical zoom. Idea is to carry it in a pocket all the time. Sony RX100 is too expensive, and I am fine with cameras from pre 2010 if they produce good daylight images.

Looking at cameras such as Olympus pen light 5 with 14-42 pancake lens, but does not need to be interchangeable lens.

Any ideas?

12 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I don't know what you're budget is, but you should be able to find one of the RX100 models used for a decent price.  I got my RX100 M2 a couple of years ago for $400CDN barely used. Fantastic little camera.

Jill

+1 Some people seem to trade in their cameras at every opportunity; there are plenty of S/H cameras, half current retail price (or less) that still look and feel brand new. I have the Sony RX100 (Mark III), so I have a camera with me at all times. It's fine - with due care - for Alamy...

39 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

+1 Some people seem to trade in their cameras at every opportunity; there are plenty of S/H cameras, half current retail price (or less) that still look and feel brand new. I have the Sony RX100 (Mark III), so I have a camera with me at all times. It's fine - with due care - for Alamy...

The person I bought the camera from didn't seem to be aware of all of its capabilities.  Probably couldn't figure out how to use all the settings.  I use the Sony for about 90% of what I shoot now and the Canon for the other 10%.  I simply leave the 70-200 on the Canon and use the Sony for everything else.

Jill

3 minutes ago, Pietrach said:

Thank you. Anyone using RX100 make 1? 

I used the Mk1 for some time, bought it new. All submissions from it passed QC. I now have the Mk3 as I like the eye level VF. and the improved firmware.

The question is not really the size of the camera but the smallest size of sensor. You will find a lot of cameras with 1" sensors now.

Allan

22 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

The question is not really the size of the camera but the smallest size of sensor. You will find a lot of cameras with 1" sensors now.

Allan

I realise tge sensor size determines the image "image quality", at least in terms of Alamy. So far rx100 mk1 look best for me considering budget of sub£150. I dont think any new models come close to this, even second hand.

1 hour ago, Pietrach said:

I realise tge sensor size determines the image "image quality", at least in terms of Alamy. So far rx100 mk1 look best for me considering budget of sub£150. I dont think any new models come close to this, even second hand.

Sorry was not trying to teach/suck eggs. It is just that some small cameras have much smaller sensors, as I am sure you know already, and those would not be suitable for Alamy QC.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry was not trying to teach/suck eggs. It is just that some small cameras have much smaller sensors, as I am sure you know already, and those would not be suitable for Alamy QC.

Allan

No offence taken ;) This is the whole reason I originally asked about a small camera accepted by Alamy.

38 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

You're going to struggle.  Why not save and spend £500 on something decent?

I am a hobbyst, and cannot justify spending £500 on a second camera. It is not a matter of finances, just principles. Would rather spend this on a lovely weekend away with kids and create memories with my cheap camera ;) Seriously now, is there such a big difference between say rx100 mk1 and mk2?

I am still using the mk1 and have had recent images accepted by QC. It actually has a further reach at 100mm. You will not be able to look through a viewfinder but I have become accustomed to holding up the camera and looking at the back.

Paulette

27 minutes ago, Pietrach said:

I am a hobbyst, and cannot justify spending £500 on a second camera. It is not a matter of finances, just principles. Would rather spend this on a lovely weekend away with kids and create memories with my cheap camera ;) Seriously now, is there such a big difference between say rx100 mk1 and mk2?

Fair enough.

I bought a little Sony NEX-3 -- which has an APS-C sensor but no EVF -- with an 18-55 lens (both used) a number of years ago for only $300 CAN , and it has paid for itself many time over at this point. I think that given the choice between a used RX100 Mk 1 and a  Mk 2, I would probably go for the latter because it has a tilting screen, which I found very useful when using the NEX-3.

Here's an image captured in 2012 with the NEX-3 that licensed just this month.

red-chili-peppers-at-a-commercial-street

20 hours ago, NYCat said:

I am still using the mk1 and have had recent images accepted by QC. It actually has a further reach at 100mm. You will not be able to look through a viewfinder but I have become accustomed to holding up the camera and looking at the back.

Paulette

Still have mine and use it sometimes for the extra reach.

Allan

9 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I have a Nikon AW120 which I got primarily for snorkelling, however it's fine for everyday use also though no viewfinder.  Had images accepted on here also.  It's handy to have with a 2.8 24-120mm, think there is a more recent version now. 

You have had images accepted by Alamy QC from the AW120?

That is surprising as it only has a 1/2.3 sensor, much smaller than Alamy's 1" minimum sensor.

Allan

Allan I was surprised also as I had uploaded a few accidentally with another batch (think just 2 or 3) and didn't realise until they were in QC and fully expected the lot to fail.  As I said I got it primarily for snorkelling well trying to anyway ! :D I think I'll also look at something smaller at some point for everyday stuff though I do like a viewfinder.  

Carol

4 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Allan I was surprised also as I had uploaded a few accidentally with another batch (think just 2 or 3) and didn't realise until they were in QC and fully expected the lot to fail.  As I said I got it primarily for snorkelling well trying to anyway ! :D I think I'll also look at something smaller at some point for everyday stuff though I do like a viewfinder.  

Carol

Ah! that explains it. They were probably/most likely not even seen by QC as they do not check every image in a batch. I am sure if they had been spotted then the outcome would have been different.

SHhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.:lol:

Allan

Archived