Checking on Sony RX100 USB flaps

Have any of you had trouble with your flap?

I have and I know others who've had the problem. And I'm wondering if Sony has fixed this weakness on the newer models. I have a 100/3. The flap is the only problem I've had with this tiny gem of a camera.

Edo

No problem with mine either.

I find when closing flap when in the almost clicked shut position it is necessary to (GENTLY) push the flap towards the hinged edge. This allows the little tabs on the open edge to slide behind the catch on the body.

Unless, of course, you have snapped the tabs off your flap, or they have worn away with use. You need a magnifying glass to see the tabs on the edge of the flap.

Allan

If everything else fails and the thing is out of warranty, check Ebay for rx100 battery door. Lowest price $25.51 free shipping.

Doesn't look too hard to repair if it's just the door itself including the hinge.

wim

I never open and close mine. I download my card through a card reader. Charge my battery through a charger that plugs into the wall. Never hook up anything through that port so no problems. I doubt I’ve ever opened the flap!  

For sure I won’t, now. :D

Betty

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

It won't close, Michael. Just hangs open.

I found a magnifier and had a closer look. One of the two tiny clips is broken off.

(I'm gonna try to sell this camera to Wim. Maybe I can convince him that a little Sony with a broken clip is valuable as a collector's item.)

And, Betty! That's cheating, never to use the USB! 

I can send you an inch of gaffer tape by mail ;-)

Pity you're not in NY anymore. There's this great art supplies store on Canal that's been there for ages. They have this black painter's tape. Nowhere to be found in Europe. I have a stash in my drawer. Actually every real art supplies shop in the US has it in at least two widths. And sometimes even the stuff with a thin cloth back as well, that we used to repair 4x5 cassettes with. However I have repaired some with painter's tape as well.

This broken clip, is that on the  cover or on the housing?

wim

7 hours ago, wiskerke said:

I can send you an inch of gaffer tape by mail ;-)

Pity you're not in NY anymore. There's this great art supplies store on Canal that's been there for ages. They have this black painter's tape. Nowhere to be found in Europe. I have a stash in my drawer. Actually every real art supplies shop in the US has it in at least two widths. And sometimes even the stuff with a thin cloth back as well, that we used to repair 4x5 cassettes with. However I have repaired some with painter's tape as well.

This broken clip, is that on the  cover or on the housing?

wim

Clip (tab) is on the flap. Catches under lip on housing.

Allan

It's a very simple repair. I just took it apart in 1 minute:

Unscrew the screw. Push down the plastic lid at the end, so the metal part detaches from the tiny little plastic pin. Now the whole plastic part slides out. The latch itself is the only part that moves and it's clicked onto the lid. That latch would be the only thing required. However the whole cover including the hinge and spring and battery retaining clip is cheaper in those Ebay links, then any other single part.

My guess is that a Sony repair facility will see enough of those to repair that they will have some in stock. Popping one out and a new one in is a matter of minutes. If you're really friendly with the repair guys, they might slip you one.

It's a 1cts piece, but there's no way of knowing what the official repair price would be.

The latch is the same in all models. In the newest one the cover whips open much quicker and further than all the rest which only pop up a millimeter or so. The VI opens up in one go all the way to 90 degrees. Could be newness, but I suspect an upgrade.

Sad to hear Pearl Paint went the way of the dodo. That was an institution. I can see why leaving NYC is acceptable. NOT. ;-)

wim

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I found a magnifier and had a closer look. One of the two tiny clips is broken off.

(I'm gonna try to sell this camera to Wim. Maybe I can convince him that a little Sony with a broken clip is valuable as a collector's item.)

And, Betty! That's cheating, never to use the USB! 

:D Not cheating! Very intelligent at recognizing a weak point! I major in recognizing some weak points then go in for the kill.

On 7/30/2018 at 18:37, Betty LaRue said:

I never open and close mine. I download my card through a card reader. Charge my battery through a charger that plugs into the wall. Never hook up anything through that port so no problems. I doubt I’ve ever opened the flap!  

For sure I won’t, now. :D

Betty

That's what I do with my rx100 I as well.  I don't think I've opened the flap either.

• 1 month later...

I don't seem to have anything held down or closed with gaffer tape at the moment but it has certainly saved the days in the past. The worst case probably was the 67 Pentax which required something to prevent the mirror-up function from operating when slipping the beast into a bag. If the mirror flipped up and stayed that way overnight, the battery would be drained and the camera reduced to a doorstop. Replacements were hard to find and expensive. Padding out loose lens caps often helped but mostly they are spring-loaded clip-ons these days. Except some of my little pentax lenses which have screw threads which are a stupid price to replace

It's very hard to keep track of all the tiny gizmos and cords one needs in our brave new digital world when living out of a suitcase. I might have a card reader . . . and a battery charger . . . but I haven't seen either lately. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's very hard to keep track of all the tiny gizmos and cords one needs in our brave new digital world when living out of a suitcase. I might have a card reader . . . and a battery charger . . . but I haven't seen either lately. 

I understand. It’s been 6 months since our move and I still haven’t found some things I know I have. Including a box of lingerie.

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

ohmygod -- there is nothing wrong at all with the flaps  on my new 100-Model 6. I had picked up the Model 3 by mistake. :rolleyes:

😂 I carried a 40% off coupon with me to a shop yesterday. When I got to checkout, it had disappeared. Somebody shopping in the art department got a freebie coupon. Luckily, the checkout lady had a spare for me.

I’m good with slight of hand.

You need to put a bit of colored tape on the 3.

2 weeks ago, I thought I put my 100-400 lens in my bag before traveling to Oklahoma to shoot a family of Great Horned owls.  When I got there, I discovered I’d put my 50-140 in my bag instead. So I got environmental shots of them, no tight shots. I refrained from having a Donald Duck fit in front of my nephew and sister at the discovery. I played Joe(anne) cool. Until my nephew asked what lens I was using, and I had to confess.

Like you, considering what’s going on in my life right now, it’s a wonder I don’t forget my head.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived