After a few months here and a tiny portfolio, Ive just made my first sale on Alamy. I guess I got lucky! The amount is twenty bucks - that's what it says in my dashboard. Though I'm not sure if this amount is my share or if that's the total and I get $10 out of it after Alamy takes their cut. Can anyone confirm? I know that in most cases, it's a 50% commission with sales on Alamy. 

Congratulations on your first sale, especially with only 100+ images.

If you go to Account Balance on your dashboard, you'll see the details of commissions for the sale.

Gen

Thankyou Gvallee. Ive just checked my Account Balance and apparently, I end up with $9.85. I assume that's probably US dollars? Still good if that's the case since it will be converted to Australian dollars, netting me a bit more. I'm currently enrolled in a university course and I think I regret not signing up as a student and receiving the full sales amount....I didn't really notice that option when I joined. I guess it's too late now. 

Yes it is US Dollars. Alamy won't pay you until you have a cleared balance of $50, so you'll need a few more sales.

I would write to Contributors Service about the students scheme, they might still take you on.

Gen

Congratulations Patrick on your first sale. 

I think you need some sort of code from your university/ college. It needs to be signed up for the scheme. 

You also have to be a photography student.

It's all explained  here and I think there is also a list of universities and colleges that are eligible for the scheme. 

Thankyou Kat for the info. Oh darn, I'm not a photography student. Though I was many years ago. Currently studying TESOL - teaching English to speakers of other languages. Oh well....still happy I got a sale regardless.

Edit: Ive read the info in the link provided but couldn't find any text that specified that you have to be a photography student to receive the 100% sales. Is this mentioned elsewhere on the site?

19 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Thankyou Kat for the info. Oh darn, I'm not a photography student. Though I was many years ago. Currently studying TESOL - teaching English to speakers of other languages. Oh well....still happy I got a sale regardless.

Edit: Ive read the info in the link provided but couldn't find any text that specified that you have to be a photography student to receive the 100% sales. Is this mentioned elsewhere on the site?

I also don't see it specified that you have to be a photography student. On this page it may be strongly implied, but it's not spelled out.

However, the course has to be  registered with Alamy, and it'#s hard to imagine why a TESOL course would be.

19 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Hi Patrick,

it confiirms it here

Alamy is a a photography business, I guess there would be no incentive to them if they'd offer the scheme to all students no matter what they study. 

Well done - a sale from only 113 images is impressive, but having looked at your photos, they are a really nice, diverse collection.

If I were you I would give up now, delete all your images and find a proper job.

We could do without the competition thank you.

20 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

I taught English in Europe for a bit - it's a great way of getting around new places to photograph in depth. I just wish I'd enjoyed the teaching enough........

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

I taught English in Europe for a bit - it's a great way of getting around new places to photograph in depth. I just wish I'd enjoyed the teaching enough........

Sounds like a great experience - teaching and travelling, and also adding photography into the mix. I did part of a practicum in my course and although I enjoyed some aspects (like interacting with the students) I found it incredibly stressful, overwhelming and I made heaps of mistakes. Plus I have an introverted personality so it's hard for me to be a 'people person.' Nerves were an issue too.

43 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

I am a student.

I was responding to your comment "I'll try my luck", which could suggest that you're not bona fide, as genuine students would be accepted. From subsequent posts, I can see you're not a photography student, so as others have suggested, your luck may not be in.

38 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I was responding to your comment "I'll try my luck"

My comment relates to timing. I was under the impression that students were only accepted when they signed up as such initially - when first joining Alamy. I didn't think it was possible for a student to register after they had joined. If they accepted me into the student program after that point in time, it would be down to luck. Though regardless, it looks like I can't join anyway because I'm not a photography student. 

Archived