Aspect Ratio, What do you use?

I shoot in 3:2 aspect ratio for all of my images and if I crop it's also to 3:2 .

Just wondering what other members do.  16:9 would work well for some shots but are they likely to be saleable?

I crop as suits the image.

I have seen searches for square and panoramic, which might suggest (to my surprise) that some buyers don't know how to crop, or maybe they try that first then make a wider search if they don't find what they want 'ready-formatted'.

16 minutes ago, Rico said:

Instead of cropping, I use the content aware tool in Photoshop to stretch the image.

Here's how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOCmkchVafs&t=40s

It's a miracle.

Rick

very neat....might actually have to shoot something with this in mind.

I never worry about ratio. I crop where I like. Almost all my pix are cropped one way or the other. I'm meticulous about what's near the edge.

Gen

As a rule if I’m composing an image in camera it stays as 3:2.

If i am stitching images to create a panorama then it gets cropped as follows: 17x6; 4x1 or 2x1.

what dictates the pano crop is the resulting pixels. I try and aim for my panos to be at least 5000 pixels high so that any buyer has a massive image to crop into or use as is. 

I am getting the impression that many of you don't work to a specific ratio ?   My concern was ensuring I provided an image that matched publications etc.

I believe that magazine front cover etc are around 3:2.

11 hours ago, John Walker said:

I am getting the impression that many of you don't work to a specific ratio ?   My concern was ensuring I provided an image that matched publications etc.

A sizes are root 2:1, 1.414. So in between 3:2 and 4:3.

13 hours ago, John Walker said:

My concern was ensuring I provided an image that matched publications etc.

I sporadically report in the Images Found thread, and I found that very often, images have been cropped by the buyer.

Sometimes so much so that GSI won't find them. I can only locate them by searching for them by keywords.

Of course, for a cover shot, you're right, I guess it's better to stick to the correct ratio.

Gen

13 hours ago, John Walker said:

I reckon that most companies publishing a magazine will have the technology to crop or resize and image to 3:2.

Newspapers probably want the quicker speed... but then it's more a case of finding an image that fits the space.. and they would probably still do a quick crop I'd think.

Archived