What does "Instagram Style" actually mean?

So I was having a quick look at one of Alamy's latest picture needs blog: https://www.alamy.com/blog/stock-photo-requests-plants-gardens

Apparently they need amongst other things:

• Instagram Style – Amateur gardeners doing tasks in the garden (planting, pruning, potting, seeding, etc) – can be with just hands visible – sequence from the same shoots would be great too
  • Instagram Style – Stylish, contemporary and UK styled gardening imagery
  • Instagram Style – Trendy small designer gardens / patio areas
  • Instagram Style – Upcycling designer ideas (how to use everyday objects as design features in a garden )

What does "Instagram Style" actually mean to people?

Is is a case of adding a load of split toning? Or is it about adding strong contrast (or indeed light contrast)? Is it a case of moving the white/black point in the tone curve so that an image never actually has true white/black? Or is it somethign else totally? 

I can't claim to use Instagram myself but Instagram images seem to pop up on Facebook nowadays and generally speaking, the Instagram images that I see don't look anything out of the ordinary.

2 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

means 'real' 'of the moment' 'unposed'. It's more about the asthetic/mood  rather than the technicality

From what I've seen my daughters do to make an image for Instagram it's the opposite of unposed. They are also very critical in reviewing images before they post and will shoot and re-shoot a lot until they are happy with the image. An image of them in the "moment"

I agree it's about the asthetic/mood and some of that is done with filters.

David

I would go with staged, selfie, or superficial....unless it's a commercial account, the major tended to be "I do this, I like this, see me doing this"....there are some commercial ones that are spectacular though.

45 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I'm getting a deja vu over this thread.......

Does it mean something to do with 'hipsters' - which I gather, or at least the male version, typically means having Edwardian style  facial hair of the W G Grace sort? 

I also like "lumbersexual".

Like in "young attractive lumbersexual man sipping on a latte while leaning on his fixie bike during an LGBT protest march".

27 minutes ago, pierre rochon said:

I also like "lumbersexual".

Like in "young attractive lumbersexual man sipping on a latte while leaning on his fixie bike during an LGBT protest march".

don't forget all the instagram models...look Mom, no clothes.

Funny, most of the photographers I follow on Instagram do relatively "straight" photography, shot with DSLRs and other more traditional cameras.

I would think "Instagram Style " could mean photos with over processed color, either bold high contrast color, low contrast unsaturated color, or even tinted.

There are a number of Instagram Pre-Sets available for Lightroom, on the Adobe site or elsewhere on the web. Try a Google search.

I aim at the midpoint between studio perfect and runaway street.

But then I still think a 'hipster' is a 'cat' who 'blows' bebop. Back then, they had a name for someone who did not understand bebop. They were called a 'rooney.' No, I'm not kidding, although I wish I were. 

It’s funny that you would bring this topic up. Just yesterday I was at Stonehenge and took a clever shot. For a keyword I wrote ‘Instagram’ but I don’t use Instagram. I’ll change it to ‘Instagram Stlye’. Hint: if your photo looks like it was shot in the 1950s then it’s not ‘Instagram Style’. 

Some interesting points. Seems adding 'filters' is part of the Instagram thing. I often shy against filters when submitting via the Alamy route (S******o is a different kettle of fish) for fear of over processing. I had also been of the thinking that the end customer can add these filters if they like but can't remove them so effectively.

In term of photographing 'of the moment'.. I guess I do quite a bit of that so maybe in some ways a proportion of my images are already 'Instagram style' without really thinking about it.

Archived