What formats do you shoot in Raw Or JPEG

3 minutes ago, skylineboy said:

a little tip, in windows you can search for file type, i shoot jpg and raw, so to delete the jpgs. i search for "*.jpg" and it will only show those files with .jpg extension. leaving only RAW behind. i also just today used *.mp4 search to delete some movie files from a mixed SD that had some short clips on.

Thanks a lot for the tip, but when I review the roll on the PC and find a picture that is, say out of focus or otherwise of questionably quality, I delete it. 

This means I have to delete both, the JPG nad the RAW at the same time.

Regardless of the sorting, specially when I have similars, I somtimes deleted the incorrect second picture, as I only ever review the raw. 

So I decided that this is too complicated for me, besides I do not use the in camera JPG anyways - I avoid now having them at all.

I switched a few years ago- for quite a while I was an advocate for jpeg because it was good enough, until it wasn't. I shot both for a while, just in case RAW turned out to be more difficult, but it was a drag sorting out the jpegs to delete afterwards so I stopped bothering.

Now I'd only shoot both if I was going to need quick stuff for FB.

RAW is sharper, but you don't usually notice at low ISOs. However, if you go near the top of the histogram RAW beats a jpeg hands down. My skies are always better now. Once you get your workflow tied down- LR for me- it's just a bit more processing time and storage.

3 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Twin card cameras are your friend. Raw to one, JPG to the other as a backup and/or quick upload..

No need then to have to sort out the two formats...just read from the card with the Raw's

km

yea agree, thats how i roll. jpg has it's place for quick upload or social media / send to friends (a lot ask where ive been this weekend etc so a quick low res snap to show them occasionally.

4 hours ago, hdh said:

Thanks a lot for the tip, but when I review the roll on the PC and find a picture that is, say out of focus or otherwise of questionably quality, I delete it. 

This means I have to delete both, the JPG nad the RAW at the same time.

Regardless of the sorting, specially when I have similars, I somtimes deleted the incorrect second picture, as I only ever review the raw. 

So I decided that this is too complicated for me, besides I do not use the in camera JPG anyways - I avoid now having them at all.

Try downloading BreezeBrowser Pro (see here). It's brilliant for reviewing images. It allows RAW and JPG to be linked and treated as one (or kept separate if you want). It allows side by side comparison of up to 4 images at up to 100% size with synchronised pan and zoom. It's really fast too. No need to import, no catalogue to maintain, it just works in perfect harmony with the PC's file system. It allows tagging, renaming, moving copying and deleting. It doesn't care if you rename files or move in other packages either. I wish Lightroom worked like this!!

Mark

RAW only now.  Like others, I used to shoot RAW + Jpeg and did use the Jpeg from my Fuji cameras a lot. (I still found I had to do a little PP on them). 

Now I just shoot RAW.  I have import presets I use for Capture One Pro 11 or LR CC, which ever I'm using at the time.  Saves a ton of time and also saves me a little disc space.

Rick

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Try downloading BreezeBrowser Pro (see here). It's brilliant for reviewing images. It allows RAW and JPG to be linked and treated as one (or kept separate if you want). It allows side by side comparison of up to 4 images at up to 100% size with synchronised pan and zoom. It's really fast too. No need to import, no catalogue to maintain, it just works in perfect harmony with the PC's file system. It allows tagging, renaming, moving copying and deleting. It doesn't care if you rename files in other packages either. I wish Lightroom worked like this!!

Mark

Too bad it is a Windows based program. I’ll not put a crossover Windows program on my Mac.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Too bad it is a Windows based program. I’ll not put a crossover Windows program on my Mac.

Yes it is a real shame. I had it running under Crossover on one MacBook, but couldn't get it running on another, so something's not reliable.

It runs fine on Parallels 12 in a Windows 7 Virtual machine on Mac Sierra, but it's hardly ideal. I've tried to get the author to do a port to Mac, but no joy.

IMHO it's one of the best image browsers out there. I'm still searching for a native Mac application that works that well.

Any ideas appreciated...

Mark

Used to be RAW only, but have recently used RAW + jpeg for ease of submission to Live News via PressIPTC on my phone. Dislike using this system, but is good for speed and convenience when submitting News. All other photography, business or pleasure, is RAW only. 

Archived