Are reviews inconsistant?

I was just accepted into the Alamy family by having three of my photos approved.  I selected one of those, added keywords and submitted it for sale.  It was reviewed by the QC team and was rejected with the reason of it lacking sharpness.  Before submitting the photo for acceptance into Alamy, I viewed it at 100% and found it sharp.  I don't understand where it was good enough quality to be accepted yet it was turned down for selling.  I belong to 3 other sites and question if procedures are going to this inconsistent, is it going to be a futile effort submitting many photos which have been accepted elsewhere to be turned down here.

• ebersonimages changed the title to Are reviews inconsistant?

Not sure I understand what’s happened to you. As far as I remember the initial process, when your first three photos pass, that is effectively the same thing as having passed QC. Adding keywords and caption doesn’t then put the photo into another approval process. So whichever three initial photos were approved and started your career on Alamy, they will go on sale as soon as you have added the appropriate information (and the system updates itself), and you didn’t need to upload them again. 

A wee bit off topic, but the one Alamy image that you appear to have available - of a wave breaking - is not the kind of thing that I would consider submitting for the initial assessment. I would suggest that it's better to submit straightforward simple scenes with plenty of hard edges while using a tripod to ensure and demonstrate maximum sharpness. 

2 hours ago, MircoV said:

I think that he/she is just mixing agencies :)

I am staying on the Alamy site but am still having difficulties.  I guess I am not used to the submitting process here. I am working on photos that have passed but say "not for sale."  After I fill in all the info the "save" button is not available.  I've submitting to other agencies for years but this one makes me feel like an idiot!  Can't seem to figure out the process.

1 minute ago, ebersonimages said:

I am staying on the Alamy site but am still having difficulties.  I guess I am not used to the submitting process here. I am working on photos that have passed but say "not for sale."  After I fill in all the info the "save" button is not available.  I've submitting to other agencies for years but this one makes me feel like an idiot!  Can't seem to figure out the process.

Images don't go on sale until the next update after you have filled in all the info.

To go on sale, you must have a caption and at last five keywords (tags). Not sure why your 'save' button isn't highlighted when you add new info.  That has never happened to me.

Jill

The image manager is not friendly to a lot of us. I often start writing my caption in the tag box because the caption box doesn't appear until you click "add caption". One of the many things I would like to see changed but I have lost hope that they will make it more user-friendly. You will get used to it eventually. The "manual" is useful. http://www.alamy.com/myupload/help/AIM-InstructionManual.pdf If you don't see the Save button scroll down a bit. It only appears after you have added something new. Once you have saved that new item it isn't accessible.

Paulette

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

The image manager is not friendly to a lot of us. I often start writing my caption in the tag box because the caption box doesn't appear until you click "add caption". One of the many things I would like to see changed but I have lost hope that they will make it more user-friendly. You will get used to it eventually. The "manual" is useful. http://www.alamy.com/myupload/help/AIM-InstructionManual.pdf If you don't see the Save button scroll down a bit. It only appears after you have added something new. Once you have saved that new item it isn't accessible.

Paulette

I'm glad I'm not the only one.... Makes me crazy.

Yep. I've just been doing some keywording in Lightroom for my next submission. That is not all that easy either. Looking at grey lettering against black is not good for the eyes. It does provide some shortcuts though and I'm beginning to set some of those up. My keyword list is such a mess that I'll never make it perfect. Just doing a bit here and there.

Paulette

7 hours ago, ebersonimages said:

NYCat. thanks for the input.  I am glad I am not the only one "challenged."  I think the manual will help.  If the process is not intuitive and is too cumbersome I will just stick with my other sites.  

Charles

You can keyword in Lightroom if you want, then use the plugin Alamy Bridge to set the metadata. This can even be done before the images have passed QC.

I haven't actually seen the interface for the Alamy Bridge Lightroom plug-in. Is it possible to add keywords there? Will it be black text on a white background? Easy to read? I'm not that crazy about keywording in Lightroom though it is better in some ways than the Alamy Image Manager.

Paulette

The interface is just that. You still keyword in Lightroom, but the plugin enables Lightroom to ‘talk to’ Alamy, retrieve data from the website, and send data to it. It means you can download all your keywords and check them for misspellings etc, you can work out which images don’t have super tags and a whole host of other things. I’m still working out all that it can do.

I have to say that AIM took a bit of getting used to. I got used to it after a couple of uploads. Even then, I’d forget bits and pieces occasionally.

I have a routine now, and zip through it easily. Like anything new, it appears foreign for awhile.

It’s harder, I would imagine, coming from another interface than for someone who only ever have chosen Alamy.  You need to “unlearn” your former place or quit comparing. Oranges and apples.  

I find something a bit difficult is much easier on me if I look upon it as a challenge. It keeps my brain sharp. Once I “get” it, usually I decide it was quite simple to do, just needing a bit of “steps” memory to establish itself.

I have never thrown in the towel because I was disgruntled.

I’ll encourage you to stick with it.

Betty

I remain totally unconvinced by the non standard method of deselecting images in AIM. It causes me no end of bother and, searching the newspapers for image use, it appears that I am not alone, as irrelevant keywords crop up all of the time. It's far too easy to unintentionally select more than one image for editing, the default should be deselection.

The new AIM is an improvement on what went before, but it has a awful  long way to go before it reaches the standard set by Lightroom for entering and editing keywords.

Yep. I just did it. So proud of myself for having done most keywording in Lightroom then picking three images of the same animal and adding more. THEN thinking I was only working on one of the three I now discover I added inappropriate words to the two others. EEEK. More work taking those out.

Paulette

4 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Yep. I just did it. So proud of myself for having done most keywording in Lightroom then picking three images of the same animal and adding more. THEN thinking I was only working on one of the three I now discover I added inappropriate words to the two others. EEEK. More work taking those out.

Paulette

:lol: bless you!

Thank you, Betty. It does drive me crazy but I am making myself move forward and get my India photos online. I took them in April, for heaven sake, and I am very proud of many of them. Onward!

Paulette

One tip I can give. When your working on a batch where most share the same tags, but you need to add one or two different ones, to different images, tag them all but don’t select super tags. Do all of your work on one and save. Then select it again along with the others in the batch. All of the tags from the first will appear grayed out in the others. Select all the grayed out ones that apply. If there is a tag or two from the first you don’t want in the others, just don’t select it and make it live.  It will still remain in the first. Save. Then select them all, and apply the most important super tags they share. Save. Go one by one now, and add any unique tags that only apply to that image. If you’ve not got your 10 super tags, finish them off. I found if I selected my supertags too early as a batch, it was more difficult. That should be your last step.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 20:20, Betty LaRue said:

I have to say that AIM took a bit of getting used to. I got used to it after a couple of uploads. Even then, I’d forget bits and pieces occasionally.

I have a routine now, and zip through it easily. Like anything new, it appears foreign for awhile.

It’s harder, I would imagine, coming from another interface than for someone who only ever have chosen Alamy.  You need to “unlearn” your former place or quit comparing. Oranges and apples.  

I find something a bit difficult is much easier on me if I look upon it as a challenge. It keeps my brain sharp. Once I “get” it, usually I decide it was quite simple to do, just needing a bit of “steps” memory to establish itself.

I have never thrown in the towel because I was disgruntled.

I’ll encourage you to stick with it.

Betty

I want to thank everyone for your input.  I am making progress and as long as I have a decent acceptance rate I plan to stick to it.  Although learning the workflow was unique to this site, I am getting the hang of it and moving along.  I must say, I am impressed with the number of images some of you have in your inventory.

Cheers to all,

Charles

26 minutes ago, ebersonimages said:

I want to thank everyone for your input.  I am making progress and as long as I have a decent acceptance rate I plan to stick to it.  Although learning the workflow was unique to this site, I am getting the hang of it and moving along.  I must say, I am impressed with the number of images some of you have in your inventory.

Cheers to all,

Charles

Don’t be afraid to use phrases. ie: large vase, clay pottery, throwing a clay vase, artistic style, artistic creation,  and these: potter, Caucasian, woman, female, person, one person only, 50 years old

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Don’t be afraid to use phrases. ie: large vase, clay pottery, throwing a clay vase, artistic style, artistic creation,  and these: potter, Caucasian, woman, female, person, one person only, 50 years old

Also don’t forget to put location information into both captions and keywords. For example, where is the flamingo?

Archived