Flippin' 'eck - anyone used a Lens Flipper?

3 hours ago, tarsierspectral said:

I on the contrary find this very interesting solution to the problem that does exist for me and will be interested to hear from other who might have used it.

Yes I agree this looks quite user friendly. It looks like the attachment is sealed inside so cannot see you tipping dust inside your lens.

Craig.

This is how I see it. 

The open cap always points upward, so whatever drops from your shoulder (or wherever) into the open  cap may ultimately land on the inside of your lens. 

If it does not stick to the lens will then drop into the camera and do whatever it is not supposed to do.

In my view not only a "Solution to a problem that does not exist" - as said before - more a "Solution to create a problem that did not exist"

Hence a gimmick, I would not consider to use.   

28 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

No extra straps and the caps are always pointed downward:

An old Benser Leica bottom plate slightly reworked.

Here's another DIY variant with one lens. Looks really easy to make for most brands.

And the modern Leica one.

wim

I love it. Reminds me of my Citroen dashboard with the satellites.

gsa.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2017 at 07:07, hdh said:

This is how I see it. 

The open cap always points upward, so whatever drops from your shoulder (or wherever) into the open  cap may ultimately land on the inside of your lens. 

If it does not stick to the lens will then drop into the camera and do whatever it is not supposed to do.

In my view not only a "Solution to a problem that does not exist" - as said before - more a "Solution to create a problem that did not exist"

Agreed.

On 11/19/2017 at 02:07, hdh said:

This is how I see it. 

19 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Agreed.

there is a rubber lens cap that you use to cover the opening so nothing falls in.

6 hours ago, tarsierspectral said:

there is a rubber lens cap that you use to cover the opening so nothing falls in.

Is the "lens cap" built into the flipper?

It was also the way the camera is shown (in the video) flopping around with the lens removed that I was also concerned about. The lens flipper seems to need both hands to operate. I usually manage to keep one hand on the camera and point it downwards whilst swapping lenses from my camera bag with the other hand to thereby avoiding anything falling onto the exposed sensor (I have mirrorless system).

Mark

53 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Is the "lens cap" built into the flipper?

It was also the way the camera is shown (in the video) flopping around with the lens removed that I was also concerned about. The lens flipper seems to need both hands to operate. I usually manage to keep one hand on the camera and point it downwards whilst swapping lenses from my camera bag with the other hand to thereby avoiding anything falling onto the exposed sensor (I have mirrorless system).

Mark

it's not "built in" it's a separate piece which you can attach so it's stays connected to it.  Yes, I needs both hands but it's much faster than having a bag and using one hand (for me).  It's less bulky than a bag as well.  So far I only used it indoors during events and it's been great for me, for this specific purpose.  

22 minutes ago, tarsierspectral said:

it's not "built in" it's a separate piece which you can attach so it's stays connected to it.  Yes, I needs both hands but it's much faster than having a bag and using one hand (for me).  It's less bulky than a bag as well.  So far I only used it indoors during events and it's been great for me, for this specific purpose.  

Is the flipper hollow or does it have a screen across inside so that, when fixed to just one lens, the rear element of that lens is shielded from dust etc?

Mark

12 hours ago, tarsierspectral said:

yes

?????????

There is a plate (part of Casting) across between lenses on the Peakdesign one I mentioned above.

Allan

9 hours ago, tarsierspectral said:

sorry, meant to say there is a screen/wall between two sides inside.

Ah I see, there are some good photos on Amazon. Seems like a partial solution, but dust and rubbish could collect in there and then get up-ended into the other lens when you swap back? Unless of course you fit a body cap too, which slows down the swapping process somewhat.

It strikes me that any gain in speed of swapping lenses could be more than cancelled out by extra time spent cleaning camera sensor and dust spotting pictures?

9 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Ah I see, there are some good photos on Amazon. Seems like a partial solution, but dust and rubbish could collect in there and then get up-ended into the other lens when you swap back? Unless of course you fit a body cap too, which slows down the swapping process somewhat.

It strikes me that any gain in speed of swapping lenses could be more than cancelled out by extra time spent cleaning camera sensor and dust spotting pictures?

With the self cleaning sensor I get very little dust these days.

Archived