Maybe I'm overly suspicious and cynical but I would guess that client realised they can get a full size image to do whatever they want with for peanuts and for ever if they click 'personal sale' when they licence it. Having paid for two at editorial rates they probably decided 'buy two, get one (very) cheap' was a good option. 

Pete Davis

www.pete-davis-photography.com

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.co.uk

I recently found two (very obvious) abuses of images licensed as PU and used for business websites.  Awaiting Alamy's investigations.

EDIT: at the same time, I found a third image licensed for presentation and used for a business website.  So opting out of PU isn't very useful if they can find another license for the same price and abuse that!  In any case, opting out of PU denies you the opportunity to gain sales via any distribution channels.

5 hours ago, losdemas said:

Yup. Alamy have said that.

I thought that was the case but I've just checked with Alamy as I couldn't find any reference to it on the website. Their reply says:

"This information is not part of our contributor help pages but it is explained under clause 11 of the contributor contract which you can find here:

‘11.2.  Images which have any restrictions in place may be excluded from the distribution scheme at Alamy’s discretion.’"

So as we have opted out of PU we are no longer in the distribution scheme.

Confusing because on our dashboard page it says 'Distribution IN'

39 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

I thought that was the case but I've just checked with Alamy as I couldn't find any reference to it on the website. Their reply says:

"This information is not part of our contributor help pages but it is explained under clause 11 of the contributor contract which you can find here:

‘11.2.  Images which have any restrictions in place may be excluded from the distribution scheme at Alamy’s discretion.’"

So as we have opted out of PU we are no longer in the distribution scheme.

Confusing because on our dashboard page it says 'Distribution IN'

That's pretty simple: with a restriction you're excluding that single image from distribution.

With opting IN or OUT of distribution you're excluding all your images from distribution.

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

That's pretty simple: with a restriction you're excluding that single image from distribution.

With opting IN or OUT of distribution you're excluding all your images from distribution.

wim

Exactly.

We are technically still  opted IN to distribution but because we've put the PU restriction on all of our images they are "removed from the distribution pool".

“‘11.2.  Images which have any restrictions in place may be excluded from the distribution scheme at Alamy’s discretion.’"

To me this says if you place restrictions on images they MAY be excluded from the distribution scheme AT ALAMY’S DISCRETION. Alamy MAY also decide to place restricted images IN the distribution scheme.

I assume Alamy distributors may have different abilities to restrict images. That may preclude placing restricted images with some distributors, but not all distributors. Some distributors may not have the ability to restrict images, so restricted images have to be excluded at those distributors. So you may be partially in the distribution scheme, with restricted images at some distributors, if the particular distributor can handle the restriction.

10 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

“‘11.2.  Images which have any restrictions in place may be excluded from the distribution scheme at Alamy’s discretion.’"

To me this says if you place restrictions on images they MAY be excluded from the distribution scheme AT ALAMY’S DISCRETION. Alamy MAY also decide to place restricted images IN the distribution scheme.

I assume Alamy distributors may have different abilities to restrict images. That may preclude placing restricted images with some distributors, but not all distributors. Some distributors may not have the ability to restrict images, so restricted images have to be excluded at those distributors. So you may be partially in the distribution scheme, with restricted images at some distributors, if the particular distributor can handle the restriction.

Unfortunately that is not the case. From what Alamy have told me, any images with restrictions are out of ALL  distribution.

Archived