Seeking Opinions on New / Different Camera

I am trying my best to add to my portfolio on this great site.  Now that I am fully retired from my previous life and as a studio portrait photographer, I am finding the change over to editorial stock interesting, challenging and sometimes frustrating.

In my past life I was shooting Nikon pro cameras, D3, D3s & D4, along with all the big expensive glass.  I'm now down to a Nikon D500 (APS-C crop camera), 17-55mm f2.8 DX lens and a Fuji X-E2 mirrorless camera with the kit 18-55mm f2.8-4 stabilized lens.

Both cameras give me quality images.  The D500 is astonishingly FAST!  The image quality is superb.  It's also quite large and definitely sticks out in a crowd.  The X-E2 is slow to respond, has frustratingly slow shutter lag and no tilting screen.  It does not draw as much attention as the Nikon however.  

I'm learning every day, by way of lurking on this forum mostly, as to what is selling on Alamy.  Good editorial content that is relevant quite often requires people in the image to convey  that relevancy.  I am running into a problem using my Nikon and, even to some extent my Fuji, especially when photographing people.  I have been approached several times recently and challenged as to why I was there with my camera, even once in front of a local big named grocery store.

I'm thinking of going smaller, and consequently less conspicuous, by purchasing a smaller mirrorless camera like the Sony RX100 MkV or perhaps an Olympus Pen etc...

I'm looking for some opinions on this and would like to know if you guys & gals run into the same situations.  I hate confrontation.  In my past life I dealt with that on a daly basis.  I would just as soon not go down that route.  I would like to know what some of you are using.  Maybe a longer lens to be further away from the intended subject, smaller mirrorless camera?  I don't know....opinions, thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Hi Rick.  There were several comments in recent weeks that convinced me to buy the Sony RX100 3. for exactly the reasons outlined by your self. Can't remember how to find a topic in the forum though.

Just found the Search area right at top in the black bar - top right corner.

just had a quick search in the forum for related  - maybe one of the below is what you are referring to? 

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/6868-new-sony-rx100-or-used-sony-rx-100-m2/

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/8133-raw-files-sony-rx100-m3

(Sony's not my type cameras, so cannot comment personally)  

I have both a Canon 5D2 and a Sony NEX6. I only bought the Sony to carry around in my pocket when I didn't want to lug a bag around, not to be inconspicuous. I use my Canon openly in most public situations. I try never to be furtive, but always to look as though it's my job to be there taking photos. I honestly think that attitude rubs off on other people. I've been asked why I'm taking a shot, to which I would normaly reply "because it's a lovely photo" or something similar. I've never been approached with hostility but if I was I would try to defuse the situation by being polite, civil and non-confrontational. I would never apologise for taking a photo unless I could clearly see that I was in the wrong, e.g. photographing where it was not allowed.

Alan

I have the Sony RX100 mk1 and mk3.

Unfortunately confrontation, or should I say awkward questioning, goes with the territory these days. but if you use Alan's advice above it is not as bad as it could be.

Allan

I use the Fuji X-T2 and I think it's a big upgrade over the X-E2.  I have no complaints.

The only times I've been confronted while shooting it is from the highway patrol while shooting an oil well pump jack (he listened, took in my occupation with interest, and directed me to a new shooting opportunity) and the other day while shooting the storefront of a cash checking business. The security guard was polite, curious, and ended up asking me how easy it would be to become an Alamy contributor. 

I'm always smiling, relaxed, look them in the eye and explain stock photography. This would get old if I had to do it a lot, but I don't.

While shooting a tumble down old wood barn from my car, the old farmer driving a pickup stopped beside me.  When I told him I loved old barns, he invited me to shoot from his property. Made me happy that he questioned.

Possibly men get treated more harshly.

I do have the RX 1 and 3 and it's a fact I get noticed less. I use them inside stores, restaurants and malls easily. It is a great take everywhere camera for when opportunities arise when I am out and about not on a shoot. I don't go out on a shoot with the RX, the T2 is for that. But I used it for several hundred images while on St. Croix because it fit in a very tiny handbag and was always with me. The images are great! There are a few Alamy photographers who only use the RX100s and do well.

Betty

Thanks all for the input.  Points well taken.  @Betty LaRue I sold my X-T1 because it was just too small a DSLR like camera for me.  I am interested in the expected X-T2s (in-body stabilization added) that may be announced next year.  I have found that using the flip out LCD, like you are reviewing images, draws virtually no attention to you.  If the new body does come out with IBS I would be very interested as I am not that stable a shooter any longer.  :-(  

I do think people are becoming very sensitive to anyone with a camera these days, mostly due to being afraid of becoming someone's viral video subject on the Internet.  I shall press on however.

I use mFT, Olympus and can recommend the M10 II (not III), with a slow zoom a small camera. Good Ibis & sensor cleaning, some nice features like live composite (adding only lighter part to the image during long time exposure). All my Chile pictures here are shot with an M10 and 2 cheap Panasonic lenses (12-42, 45-175), complete  set ~800 Eur. As slightly effected by GAS I normally use the more robust and bit better Pro lenses, but the cheaper one do the job (Pro lenses got stolen after arrival in Chile, only my wifes small equipment was left) .

Bought a 1,8 /45 mm (= 90 mm equivalent), looks like a toy - but I can confirm the good reviews on the web.

58 minutes ago, Andreas said:

I use mFT, Olympus and can recommend the M10 II (not III), with a slow zoom a small camera. Good Ibis & sensor cleaning, some nice features like live composite (adding only lighter part to the image during long time exposure). All my Chile pictures here are shot with an M10 and 2 cheap Panasonic lenses (12-42, 45-175), complete  set ~800 Eur. As slightly effected by GAS I normally use the more robust and bit better Pro lenses, but the cheaper one do the job (Pro lenses got stolen after arrival in Chile, only my wifes small equipment was left) .

Bought a 1,8 /45 mm (= 90 mm equivalent), looks like a toy - but I can confirm the good reviews on the web.

Thanks @Andreas.  I took a look at your shots from Chile and can certainly find no fault with that Olympus.  One thing I really like about MFT is the added depth of field due to the small chip (sensor).  That can be a benefit for editorial stock I think.  I have seen that you can get some pretty good shallow DOF images too if you have a very fast lens and they seem to make plenty of those.  :-)  

I think the issue of challenges is on the increase.  As suggested I try to look confident and professional,  I am lucky that I have a UK National Press card which helps. Sometimes I have to remind private security and council officials that it is not, generally illegal to take photos on public property _ and that includes children.  (Although I am aware of the sensitivity).  I have a Nikon D5 with a 70”200mm lens so a touch noticeable....

Print some cheap business cards ("Joe Photog - Stock Images", etc.) to hand them when they question/challenge why you are taking pictures.  Creates a sense of credibility and legitimacy. 

Archived