Off topic ( apols) music files

There appears to be many computer boffins using the forum so maybe somebody can assist with this off topic query. I've searched the Internet for a solution without success.

We have had our trusty MP3 player stolen and I am trying to find an alternative. One option is to connect our Nexus 10 tablet to the PC and use that to play music. However connecting via USB is not working, and it appears that this is an issue with Win 10. I have tried Google Drive, but that is dreadfully slow. Is there a software fix for the USB connection?

I would buy another MP3 player, but am concerned that I would have the same problem with that as with the tablet. Previously I could readily connect my old MP3 player to the PC using the USB connection, but will this still be the case?

4 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Why not put the files directly on the computer?

Jill

Thanks JIll, but maybe we are talking at cross purposes.

I have downloaded the music from CDs onto the hard drive of my PC, the problem is getting them over to the tablet or, possibly, a new MP3 player.

I could plug my old player into a USB port when the PC would then see it as another directory. I don't appear to be able to do this with the Nexus tablet. It does connect, but very slowly, and the data transfers don't seem to be happening. If this is a problem with Win 10, and I suspect that it might be, then I'm reluctant to shell out for a new MP3 player that may have the same problem.

I've tried playing with WIFI and Google drive, but that is horribly slow too, although it did appear to upload the files OK. This shouldn't be necessary, a hard wired solution should be possible.

Bryan, might be worth taking a look at an app called "WiFi File Transfer". I use it to transfer files (astonishingly) between my PC & android phone & tablet (a Nexus 7). Though USB works fine in both cases it's just easier to dispense with the cable. 

Regards - Martyn

Bryan,

Hopefully you have an OTG cable for your Nexus. They're only a few pounds from Amazon if not.

I would then simply transfer the images to a memory stick via the USB port of the PC, then plug the memory stick into the OTG cable connected to the Nexus and copy the files from it.

Low tech but it should work.

Russell

11 minutes ago, Russell said:

Bryan,

Hopefully you have an OTG cable for your Nexus. They're only a few pounds from Amazon if not.

I would then simply transfer the images to a memory stick via the USB port of the PC, then plug the memory stick into the OTG cable connected to the Nexus and copy the files from it.

Low tech but it should work.

Russell

Low tech I like, thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, Archaeo said:

Bryan, might be worth taking a look at an app called "WiFi File Transfer". I use it to transfer files (astonishingly) between my PC & android phone & tablet (a Nexus 7). Though USB works fine in both cases it's just easier to dispense with the cable. 

Regards - Martyn

I use that app all the time for transferring from my phone to my computer. I also use an app called Dukto for moving files from computer to tablet or phone.  I'm sure there are lots of apps for doing a transfer.

Jill

To bring closure to this topic, I bought a cheap OTG (On The Go apparently) cable for the tablet, but then found I had to buy software (£3.50) to make it work, which it did!

However the OTG cable fouled the auxiliary connection on the tablet, (should have seen that coming - doh) so I would have to buy a different OTG cable to use the tablet in the car. :(

But we have just changed our car (7 year old 108,000 miles, for a 1 year old) and the new one comes with a USB port. You can plug any old USB memory stick into this socket and the software on the car's radio system allows you to access the files and play the music. No doubt modern people would know and expect this level of sophistication, but it came as very pleasant surprise to me and the missus. The salesman was amused to note our astonishment, and started talking about bluetooth ( need to research that I guess, something to do with phones, not really interested).

No need for the tablet or a new MP3 player! :)

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

To bring closure to this topic, I bought a cheap OTG (On The Go apparently) cable for the tablet, but then found I had to buy software (£3.50) to make it work, which it did!

However the OTG cable fouled the auxiliary connection on the tablet, (should have seen that coming - doh) so I would have to buy a different OTG cable to use the tablet in the car. :(

But we have just changed our car (7 year old 108,000 miles, for a 1 year old) and the new one comes with a USB port. You can plug any old USB memory stick into this socket and the software on the car's radio system allows you to access the files and play the music. No doubt modern people would know and expect this level of sophistication, but it came as very pleasant surprise to me and the missus. The salesman was amused to note our astonishment, and started talking about bluetooth ( need to research that I guess, something to do with phones, not really interested).

No need for the tablet or a new MP3 player! :)

Bluetooth is a wireless technology and really simple to use. It's been around quite a while in fact. If you can work a camera and a computer, then bluetooth will not bust your brains. Many mice and keyboards come now in bluetooth flavours and make life a little easier.

In the car, I connect my iPhone using bluetooth and use it for playing music on the go. I have my entire music collection on the phone. It's more convenient than using a USB connection as it also functions as a phone through the car system -- very handy at times as it can be trained to respond to voice commands so can be used handsfree if required. I haven't bothered to master that yet and usually tell the voice to p... off or words to that effect. Maybe I am not so modern after all.

Yes, Bluetooth in my car paired to my phone is nice. If I’m listening to the radio and a call comes in, the radio cuts off and I hear the phone ring. I tap the green phone on the display and have a hands-free conversation. Nice. Whoever is in the car also hears the conversation.

There are many cheap receivers system  you can use to connect your phones or tablets in Bluetooth to any device able to play audio : TV (like chromecast) or Hifi system or any other system with audio inputs. I use one of them for my old hifi system  and 2 (google) chromecast for 2 different TV. Really easy to use to play mpg files or stream  from your phone, tablet, PC, etc...

But, iPhones and their ilk cost ££££££ to buy or involve large monthly payments, while USB sticks are almost free. I used one I found in a drawer.

Myphone (pay as you go} cost less than £10, and is rarely switched on, generally used in emergencies only.  Our younger son once offered me his discarded cleverphone, but I decided against.  Different generations perhaps, or maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite.

We do have a satnav, but my wife insists on also using a map, as she doesn't trust it. I have to say that the map method has proved to be superior on a number of occasions, e.g. when the satnav directed us onto a building site, or tried to steer us along a farm track. I recently drove a car with a cleverer device that was able to warn of traffic chaos ahead, (which it did depressingly often) but somehow it failed to realise that the autobahn ahead was completely closed, and then wouldn't let go of the idea that it should follow that route! The map saved the day.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

But, iPhones and their ilk cost ££££££ to buy or involve large monthly payments, while USB sticks are almost free. I used one I found in a drawer.

Myphone (pay as you go} cost less than £10, and is rarely switched on, generally used in emergencies only.  Our younger son once offered me his discarded cleverphone, but I decided against.  Different generations perhaps, or maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite.

We do have a satnav, but my wife insists on also using a map, as she doesn't trust it. I have to say that the map method has proved to be superior on a number of occasions, e.g. when the satnav directed us onto a building site, or tried to steer us along a farm track. I recently drove a car with a cleverer device that was able to warn of traffic chaos ahead, (which it did depressingly often) but somehow it failed to realise that the autobahn ahead was completely closed, and then wouldn't let go of the idea that it should follow that route! The map saved the day.

It is not a problem of iPhone . If your "Myphone" or your tablet can provide a bluetooth connection, you are able to play music everywhere. You just have to buy a Bluetooth Audio receiver (you can find systems on the web from $3). You have to plug this system on your car radio (if not bluetooth built-in), your home radio or your 30 years old hifi power-amplifier and it works. USB cables need hardwares and softwares able to works together and it is not so easy. 

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

I guess you are a bit of a Luddite and that is fine - each to his own and I doubt I will convince you. I was similar until five and a half years ago when I got my first iPhone but it has now become an appendage - a welcome one in almost every way I should say.

If you are doing any business where you need to be in contact with the outside world, then a mobile phone is essential nowadays. I am a long term Mac user and I have the iPhone SE which is available for £350 pay and go. It is far more than a phone: it's a music player, a gps,  fast internet device and it has a half decent still and video camera as well. There are loads of other uses as well. Given what it does and how long they last, it is not really expensive - my previous iPhone lasted five years before I upgraded and I dropped it countless times. Anyway you don't need an iPhone - you can get a decent pay and go smartphone for less than £100.

I agree about the satnav though. I use it as an aid but I like a paper map to get the big picture and I always try to figure out where I am going before I leave with the help of google maps. I even navigated my way around central Newcastle last week with no satnav. :)

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I guess you are a bit of a Luddite and that is fine - each to his own and I doubt I will convince you. I was similar until five and a half years ago when I got my first iPhone but it has now become an appendage - a welcome one in almost every way I should say.

If you are doing any business where you need to be in contact with the outside world, then a mobile phone is essential nowadays. I am a long term Mac user and I have the iPhone SE which is available for £350 pay and go. It is far more than a phone: it's a music player, a gps,  fast internet device and it has a half decent still and video camera as well. There are loads of other uses as well. Given what it does and how long they last, it is not really expensive - my previous iPhone lasted five years before I upgraded and I dropped it countless times. Anyway you don't need an iPhone - you can get a decent pay and go smartphone for less than £100.

Yup, if I was still embroiled in the dirty deeds of business then I would probably feel obliged to buy one, but as a retired idle scoundrel, I have better things to spend my cash on, for example horse muck for the allotment, or a bottle or two of red. I'm thinking of buying a scythe to cut down on grass maintenance costs. :)

I occasionally get irritating calls from the people I buy time off for my humblepersonsphone, once while climbing a mountain, and once while boarding a train in foreign parts. They were trying to encourage me to spend more money on their wares, but, as you may imagine, they got short shrift.

Bryan, you are right about satnav leading you down the primrose path. I use maps to find where a particular restaurant or something is. Then I have knowledge of what streets will get me there as close as I can to the way the crow flies.

If I were in a strange city, I’d need to lean on satnav, knowing it was probably taking me a roundabout way. But it definitely can come in handy. That said, we all seemed to travel just fine before. The handiest thing was before mobile phones, the hubby never would stop and ask directions. We’d wander around forever with me pleading to stop somewhere and ask. Now I can just whip out the phone, lol.

And if you don’t want to be connected with a smart phone, I understand. Sometimes I curse mine. I can seldom go to the market without it ringing. Not ever for an emergency, just chit chat.

Some people tend to get offended if they can’t reach you every second of the day. If I’m in the middle of cooking, or watching a favorite program, or shopping, I just don’t answer and call back later. If it is an important call, they’ll leave a voicemail and I’ll return the call sooner.

I lived fine without a mobile phone most of my life. If I had none today, I’d still live just fine. But I don’t want to. My choice, your choice. Stick to your guns.

Betty

23 hours ago, vpics said:

FFIW, I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet and they accept micro SD cards. So copying music or lo and behold images from one device (Mac or PC) to the tablet is no big deal. 

My tablet is also Samsung, but I don't see a card slot. However I can  connect to a USB stick with my newly acquired OTG cable. While I can play music from the stick, copying it to the tablet is currently beyond me. This should be easy but.......

Never fear my 8GB USB stick also plugs directly into the car's stereo system, so we've been listening to our old favourites today!

Being of a suspicious nature, I wonder if the likes of Google make it difficult to transfer stuff by wire in order to sell remote memory etc? I have a similar problem reading  my computer's drive onto the TV screen, it should be possible using a Google dongle and WiFi but it won't play ball. Is this due to Microsoft/Google warfare?

In the past I've connected simple computers to machine tools, controlled all manner of gadgets using assembly language and a single board computer, even wired up the cables etc, but I can't copy music onto my tablet. The world has gone mad, I yearn for simpler times.....

29 minutes ago, Bryan said:

My tablet is also Samsung, but I don't see a card slot. However I can  connect to a USB stick with my newly acquired OTG cable. While I can play music from the stick, copying it to the tablet is currently beyond me. This should be easy but.......

Never fear my 8GB USB stick also plugs directly into the car's stereo system, so we've been listening to our old favourites today!

Being of a suspicious nature, I wonder if the likes of Google make it difficult to transfer stuff by wire in order to sell remote memory etc? I have a similar problem reading  my computer's drive onto the TV screen, it should be possible using a Google dongle and WiFi but it won't play ball. Is this due to Microsoft/Google warfare?

In the past I've connected simple computers to machine tools, controlled all manner of gadgets using assembly language and a single board computer, even wired up the cables etc, but I can't copy music onto my tablet. The world has gone mad, I yearn for simpler times.....

That makes two of us.   I remember back when I sold my horse and buggy and got that first crank engine car...trouble ever after. :D

But you’re right that the things we used to be able to do with our devices now have had trip wires installed to put us on our faces.

Archived