Has anybody else noticed the total number of images in the Alamy library seems to have reduced in the past few days? I'm sure it was at over 106 million last week but on Saturday the total number dropped to around 99.6 million and this morning I think it is slightly lower still. A clean up? A cull? A database glitch?

Maybe that's why Alamy didn't make a big fuss about reaching 100 million? (at least I didn't notice one). They knew that their collection was about to be reduced for some reason...

IMHO they could do with having a massive cull, there's so much rubbish on here that's badly keyworded or of poor quality and that will never sell, which clogs up their servers and their search engine.

My impression of the stock photography business was completely different. I thought that we sold images that were useful to customers, not good or bad in some qualitative sense. 

I agree. “How To” photographs that solve a clients problems by illustrate something, are why clients buy and publish images. “Good” images and “How To” images can be quite a different thing.

If a client wants an image of something in particular, why would they choose one that is POOR? I am NOT talking about "poor in my opinion". I am talking about what is clear to anyone with any sort of artistic eye at all, is a poor image.

But you can't assume that clients have an artistic eye. Very many people don't. You only have to see how many 'likes' (and often rave comments) poor images get on Facebook to know that.

Our job is to sell what people think they want, not what we think they ought to want.

Alan

Archived