Opted out of Personal use to stop printing but printing still offered?

So I opted out of personal use so that Alamy would not offer prints of my work and yet I click on one of my images for sale and i see ...

p2308091893-3.jpg

What are your thoughts? Is it not available as an option when you get through to the order?

Same here - I have restricted personal use for most of my images. I think this new Need a print thing is generic. I'm guessing (hoping, expecting) that when the buyer actually makes a purchase that the buy a print option will not be available for images where personal use is restricted. If not, then something is seriously wrong.

I always thought with the print, it was a separate order from a digital file.  But you buy the digital file first, then order the print.  So if you want the print, and can't use personal use, then you would simply choose Presentation.  Judging by the zoom page, you can order a print under any of the digital purchases, not just personal use.

Jill

I always thought with the print, it was a separate order from a digital file.  But you buy the digital file first, then order the print.  So if you want the print, and can't use personal use, then you would simply choose Presentation.  Judging by the zoom page, you can order a print under any of the digital purchases, not just personal use.

Jill

Well that is the case anyway, print or no print. There is nothing to stop somebody buying a presenation licence and downloading a full size image it appears. I don't think that Alamy should be providing full size images for presentation usage at that price but it is not possible to restrict presentation without restricting a lot of other usages. Perhaps the personal use restriction is little more than a pointless protest - a bit like voting for the Green Party where I live.

I removed every single image from Alamy that I have on a POD site elsewhere. At least, there will be no competition once the deletions are enacted. I realize I can't do anything about the rest of my port. Kind of a sad state of affairs that we can't restrict how our images are used without cutting our throats in other areas.

I also realize it is deliberate. My handcuffs are a bit too tight.

Betty

I plan on working on more POD images later this year (when I treat myself to a Cintinq tablet) and will be doing the same as Betty.  Any images I put on a POD will be removed from Alamy.  Since the prices on Alamy aren't super anymore, I don't think I will be hurting myself that much.  It's people like Phillippe with their fabulous wildlife images that will be hit the most.  Might come down to choosing one or the other.

Jill

I noticed the print offer about a week ago. I wonder if this means anyone who uses any of the other licenses can order a print in addition.

It certainly would seem to circumvent any Personal Use restrictions.

I'd love to hear what Alamy has to say about this.

fD

Back in Feb I had an Alamy print sale for an image and thought there should be a corresponding personal use license.  This is the response I received from CR:

"You will not necessarily have a corresponding personal use license as the option for print is available when a customer purchases any license.

In this case it is likely that the license purchased on 06/12/2016 for indoor display corresponds to the print license."

So it seems that any license entitles the licensee to buy a print.  It does beg the question of how opting-out of "personal use" will eliminate the print option...  I did not ask at that time because, so far, I have chosen not to opt-out.

Clarence

I plan on working on more POD images later this year (when I treat myself to a Cintinq tablet) and will be doing the same as Betty.  Any images I put on a POD will be removed from Alamy.  Since the prices on Alamy aren't super anymore, I don't think I will be hurting myself that much.  It's people like Phillippe with their fabulous wildlife images that will be hit the most.  Might come down to choosing one or the other.

Jill

I hadn't noticed the art.com print option. When did it show up in Canada?

Jill

So I guess this means that any type of client can order a print -- e.g. after licensing a file for editorial use, the same buyer can order a print for personal use.

Jill

So I guess this means that any type of client can order a print -- e.g. after licensing a file for editorial use, the same buyer can order a print for personal use.

As it has always been?

wim

I thought if a client chose Personal Use, they got the digital image file.  But if they ordered a print through the other website, they just got the print, and not the file.

Jill

As it has always been?

wim

I don't know. I don't think that the art.com "need a print" option has been available for long here in Canada.

What I meant is that the POD option now appears to be separate from PU, which I suppose is what this thread is about.

For those who are concerned about this, I queried it with Alamy and they confirmed that, if a Personal Use restriction is in place, then a customer will not be able to order a print by purchasing another license. They're looking at changing the wording.

Ian D

Archived