Press cards for regular Alamy news feed contributors

As a freelance photographer and a regular contributor to the Alamy news feed I was wondering whether Alamy had any plans to produce press cards or press passes either now or in the near future.

Thanks

You know something Sue I was wondering if this was possible. Only reason I say is because I came up against some opposition and I had no evidence to back up why I was taking pics. It would be great if there was something we could show to say it's for press or editorial use. 

With respect, no reputable organization would accept a 'Press Card' issued by a commercial agency who do not vet their contributors - and Alamy sure as hell don't !

Join the NUJ  who I think still issue press cards which are widely recognized, or some such organization. Let Alamy sell your pictures - they are NOT a News Agency in spite of the "News Feed" and cannot issue a Press Card which would be recognized by any official group.

Loadsa wannabees would love to flash a 'Press Card' but could you imagine the security implication........

With respect, no reputable organization would accept a 'Press Card' issued by a commercial agency who do not vet their contributors - and Alamy sure as hell don't !

Join the NUJ  who I think still issue press cards which are widely recognized, or some such organization. Let Alamy sell your pictures - they are NOT a News Agency in spite of the "News Feed" and cannot issue a Press Card which would be recognized by any official group.

Loadsa wannabees would love to flash a 'Press Card' but could you imagine the security implication........

Thanks for the info David. 

For the simple fact that I didn't know anything about the NUJ probably means I don't merit being a member. It's a serious discredit to those proper photojournalists that work very hard to make a living. 

Me snapping a few folk sunbathing in a park when Alamy look for UK Weather pics, doesn't really warrant flashing a 'Press' card about because some meat head doesn't want pictures of himself to be taken. 

Paul, I'd suggest just a business card identifying you as a freelance photographer and including the information that your images are handled by Alamy (and any others) would probably help - it might even help if you were to apply for accreditation for any special events in your area.  The right-hand side of my browser regularly carries adverts for a free 250 card deal ......not used it so cannot vouch for it but it might be worth a try........NUJ would probably insist that you prove that your main income is from Editorial Photography - but I'm not sure about that as I always had the government issued cards when I was working full-time.

Paul, I'd suggest just a business card identifying you as a freelance photographer and including the information that your images are handled by Alamy (and any others) would probably help - it might even help if you were to apply for accreditation for any special events in your area.  The right-hand side of my browser regularly carries adverts for a free 250 card deal ......not used it so cannot vouch for it but it might be worth a try........NUJ would probably insist that you prove that your main income is from Editorial Photography - but I'm not sure about that as I always had the government issued cards when I was working full-time.

Thanks again David, I'm sure the OP will appreciate that too. 

You know something Sue I was wondering if this was possible. Only reason I say is because I came up against some opposition and I had no evidence to back up why I was taking pics. It would be great if there was something we could show to say it's for press or editorial use. 

Paul, what kind of opposition did you come up against?

I cannot say i have come across too much opposition with the exception of a police officer checking my I.D at a crime scene whilst i was taking pictures of the crime scene tape.

A tramp asking why the hell i was taking a picture of Scarborough- my reply was "I like it and i can". the picture of the tramp may have been more sale able but she seemed a bit unsteady to strike a pose.

The one that really took the biscuit was when i entered an art gallery which had a giant board outside stating "photography was not allowed in the gallery".

As i entered a jobsworth looked at my camera and stated the rules regarding photography, i confirmed that i had read the sign and put my camera into my bag.

The gallery was full of tourists some of which were openly taking photographs of the artwork, slightly perturbed by this i went back to jobsworth who explained to me that they did not speak English!!, not wanting

to get into a full scale debate i simply said "maybe you should learn some languages so you can treat us all the same way" jobsworth shrugged and i went on my way.

I suppose the question is, in most situations why do we need some evidence to back up why we are taking a picture?

The business card suggested by David C might have some credibility.

Regards

Craig

Been covering news for uk papers for decades....

Been asked for my NUJ press card about 3 times in all those years

km

I was told (Kentish Express 1958) I had to be a member of the NUJ to work for the newspaper - the first time I had to show the card to a police officer his response was " Fine sonny, you have proved to me that you have been coerced into joining a trades union - now show me your Police Press Card !"  (which were then issued by the Met on the basis of a letter from your employing editor)

Did have to show the government/police cards numerous times during the IRA troubles - and later in the pens at celeb events - but for the most part the big bag of cameras did the trick.....Oh yes and a large sheet of paper which you consult while crossing the lines - doesn't matter what's on it - you look legit.....

David, I have a "press" card from another agency...for which I was not vetted when I joined.  Working with this agency, I've gotten access to places where I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

The difference between that agency and Alamy is that the other agency has a manned news desk so that if there is a question of its validity, the questioning party can call the news desk and they can look it up.  This other agency has also called me on various occasions asking me if I want to cover an event - and they have gotten me in.  This includes a presidential debate, and the visit of Prince Harry here to Colorado (of which I declined to cover).

I think this is a choice that Alamy has made and if I remember, the last time the question was asked, the response was that there were no plans to do this.

Alamy do not issue press cards, but they can help with obtaining accreditation for events. I enquired about this a while ago when I started uploading to the news feed but they quite rightly said they couldn't do much for someone with no track record

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/213-live-news-feed-question-for-alamy/?hl=accreditation#entry2147

"We have a full dairy of events for news shooters and can provide accreditation to many of them. Our live news team work round the clock and ping images directly to news desks. 

If you want to discuss upcoming events further, it would be best for you to contact our news team via news@alamy.com"

I have managed to get past a couple of keeping-the-public-back tapes when carrying a long lens, but I have been asked twice this year if I had a press pass and had a slightly awkward experience at Wimbledon - though I was pushing my luck a bit.

Alamy do not issue press cards, but they can help with obtaining accreditation for events. I enquired about this a while ago when I started uploading to the news feed but they quite rightly said they couldn't do much for someone with no track record

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/213-live-news-feed-question-for-alamy/?hl=accreditation#entry2147

"We have a full dairy of events for news shooters and can provide accreditation to many of them. Our live news team work round the clock and ping images directly to news desks. 

If you want to discuss upcoming events further, it would be best for you to contact our news team via news@alamy.com"

I have managed to get past a couple of keeping-the-public-back tapes when carrying a long lens, but I have been asked twice this year if I had a press pass and had a slightly awkward experience at Wimbledon - though I was pushing my luck a bit.

I normally arrange my own accreditation but at a recent big event the organisers made it known that there would be a system in place where the large agencies would get first shout and the freelancers would be well down the list. I asked Alamy if they would like to apply on my behalf as I would be sending them to the news feed but they said they were too busy and just do it myself. They would, of course, be happy to see images being sent in if I managed to get accreditation.

It wasn't really the answer I was expecting but at least I know not to bother asking in the future.

I had a press card but was never asked for it even at crime scenes so didn't bother renewing last time. The police seem happy enough with my driver's licence for ID if they ask.

Paul, what kind of opposition did you come up against?

I cannot say i have come across too much opposition with the exception of a police officer checking my I.D at a crime scene whilst i was taking pictures of the crime scene tape.

A tramp asking why the hell i was taking a picture of Scarborough- my reply was "I like it and i can". the picture of the tramp may have been more sale able but she seemed a bit unsteady to strike a pose.

The one that really took the biscuit was when i entered an art gallery which had a giant board outside stating "photography was not allowed in the gallery".

As i entered a jobsworth looked at my camera and stated the rules regarding photography, i confirmed that i had read the sign and put my camera into my bag.

The gallery was full of tourists some of which were openly taking photographs of the artwork, slightly perturbed by this i went back to jobsworth who explained to me that they did not speak English!!, not wanting

to get into a full scale debate i simply said "maybe you should learn some languages so you can treat us all the same way" jobsworth shrugged and i went on my way.

I suppose the question is, in most situations why do we need some evidence to back up why we are taking a picture?

The business card suggested by David C might have some credibility.

Regards

Craig

Being from Glasgow, people are not shy to tell you to pee off. 

At least once a week I have people saying, I can't take pictures here, (public park) or You can't take pictures of people without consent (yes I can, you're in a public park) 

the second you mention something that goes against the grain they come back at you with "Do you want that camera wrapped around your nut?" 

Never used to get bother, but since I got my 7D and Tamron 70-300VC it's been more noticeable. People must assume that I'm able to look right up their noses. 

On two occasions I've actually said, It's for the news mate, and they change their attitude instantly. Could just be the summer heat getting to folk. 

I would love to get involved in more exclusive events, and learn about it all as I find editorial photography really fascinating. 

Strangely enough, people just don't even give you a second look if you are snap happy with a camera phone. I think the perception is that if you have a big camera/lens you're up to no good. 

I have only photographed a few events, but never been asked for a press card yet.

People just seem to assume I am with the press (when Im not), police allow me out of police kettles etc without issue.

Even had one guy stop to ask me what newspaper I was from when I was doing street photography.

I think just the fact I have a dslr and a biggish lens makes people make assumptions.

If they didn't cost money (as I have not made a penny from photography yet) then I would be interested in a press card, just for peace of mind In case I ever do get asked.

I have got to agree with the business card idea if you want a card as suggested by DavidC, 

I made up a card with my name,  company name and what I am doing plus a photo of myself on it,  and then on the other side I have scanned and shrunk down a copy of my public liability certificate....then stick it in one of those self laminating pouches (that office workers use to get in and out of buildings)  hang it on a lanyard and around your neck..it's not going to work everywhere, but it does get me a official photographers tabbard at a fairly well known race circuit then being able to take images from the trackside and where the drivers are in the pitlane...( I think the officials like the fact that I have actually got public liabilty...mind you I wouldn't want to bump into a famous race driver and knock him over without it ;)

"Press cards" issued by agencies like Alamy are referred to by real PJ's as Mickey Mouse cards; they are worthless and meaningless . . . but sometimes they can help you get in someplace if you are dealing with a low-level security person who doesn't know the score. Real official press cards are issued by a government agency or the local police. You won't get one without a reference from a press agency or with the paper work to document yourself as a serious freelance pro. 

In the past I've had an NY Press Card (from the police), an Italian press card and in Vietnam, a T'ai Bao Chi card and a MAC-V card from the US military. In the case of big concerts and special events, in addition to your real press card you might need a special pass offered by the event's promotor. 

UK Press Cards are issued through one of the 17 gatekeepers organisations - http://www.ukpresscardauthority.co.uk/.

I had one for a while but rarely used it so when it expired I never renewed it.

When I apply for accreditation for an event, I just use my body of work and published images to confirm that I am a legitimate photographer. If the organisation needs confirmation, then most agencies (including Alamy) are happy to confirm that you are who you say you are.

At one time various Photographic Magazines carried adverts among their small-ads offering 'Press Cards' for sale - they might get you into your local church fete, but try them at a properly monitored event with professional security and you'd soon get shown the door.

The idea was to limit the access to full-time professional photographers from accredited organizations - and the reason was that space was limited and security was required to ensure that the space available was occupied by bona fide media - does all this make sense ?

I think I could Photoshop up a pretty good imitation of an official card if I had to - but so could a thief after your valuable equipment (and thefts from the photographer's pens at major events were pretty commonplace) or someone who had another motive for getting close access to a celeb or important person - so personally I am opposed to a plethora of 'Press Cards' - a well produced business card with a picture of yourself, who you generally produce work for, and preferably a good contact telephone number is the best way to go for genuine part-timers.

If you are a genuine full-time pro then at least one of your media clients would be sure to back your application for a genuine card - but remember they are putting their neck on the block by virtually guaranteeing that you are who you say you are - if they get it wrong then they won't be allowed to back requests for cards in future.

When I spoke to the NUJ they said that I had to verify that 50% of my income was made through photography. Given that not even 1% of my income came from photography, I'd say I was barking up the wrong tree. I spoke to Colin Templeton of the Evening Times and he said the same thing as above. A thick skin is better than a thin card. 

I just need a long white lens, that's surely going to get me in. I'm joking of course. 

It's something to work towards I guess, and of the people i've spoke to, and seeing their portfolio of work its going to be a long road, but I'm interested in that side of photography and nothing is going to stop me. (Unless I break my face) 

Archived