Wrong camera

A simple point-and-shoot camera, no matter how "lovely" you consider it being, can just not deliver the technical quality of images needed for a professional market.

The RX50 has a tiny 1/2.3 inch sensor. In oder to be considered adequate by Alamy and similar agencies, you will need a DSLR or mirrorless camera with a sensor size of at least 1 inch.

Before submitting images, it's good practice to read up on what's required. The guidelines tell you everything you need to know to get started. Bare in mind that Alamy is a stock photography agency who sell professional images.

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/?section=3

Geoff.

In fairness, since the list of approved/disapproved cameras was dropped, it isn't necessarily so obvious to a new contributor, even if they have read these guidelines.

But they do state:

Photos from a DSLR (or equivalent_ camera that has a minimum of 6 megapixels

Also, I see these guidelines have been updated. For instance, they now say:

Your QC rank

Stars indicate your rank with a QC based on your pass/fail history. Your upload privileges will be frozen for 10 days if you’re ranked 1 star (out of 3) and your submission fails QC.

... which answers a question which has been asked at least once on the forum since the new AIM and dashboard was rolled out!

If you upgrade to the Sony RX100 (models 1 to 5 - don't go for the first one or two, I think) - you may do better. This camera type is used as a second always-in-your-pocket camera by numerous photographers.

I've got a MK 2 Sony and that sails through QC, so I think maybe even a MK 1 would be OK.

John.

If you upgrade to the Sony RX100 (models 1 to 5 - don't go for the first one or two, I think) - you may do better. This camera type is used as a second always-in-your-pocket camera by numerous photographers.

I've got a MK 2 Sony and that sails through QC, so I think maybe even a MK 1 would be OK.

John.

Same here

Alex

Also, I see these guidelines have been updated. For instance, they now say:

Your QC rank

Stars indicate your rank with a QC based on your pass/fail history. Your upload privileges will be frozen for 10 days if you’re ranked 1 star (out of 3) and your submission fails QC.

... which answers a question which has been asked at least once on the forum since the new AIM and dashboard was rolled out!

Nice to have it in monochrome but I do wonder how 1 fail in 87 subs (a 98.8% pass rate) gets you one star. Babies and bathwater come to mind.

John.

I use the Mk 1 and it is fine for Alamy and can be purchased for around £349.

Allan

"Your QC rank

Stars indicate your rank with a QC based on your pass/fail history. Your upload privileges will be frozen for 10 days if you’re ranked 1 star (out of 3) and your submission fails QC."

I like this new "eased" QC fail penalty system. Thank you Alamy. :)

Could we know how long the waiting times are for two and three stars?

Allan

Apologies did not mean to hi-jack the thread.

ITMA

This is a useful comparison of the different versions of the RX100 https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3870419 I have the mk 1 and I like the 100mm reach but I do wish I had the tilting LCD.

Paulette

The Mk 2 has a tilting screen, which is very useful. 

John.

"Your QC rank

Stars indicate your rank with a QC based on your pass/fail history. Your upload privileges will be frozen for 10 days if you’re ranked 1 star (out of 3) and your submission fails QC."

I like this new "eased" QC fail penalty system. Thank you Alamy. :)

Could we know how long the waiting times are for two and three stars?

Allan

Apologies did not mean to hi-jack the thread.

ITMA

The way I read it, is that if you are on 2 or 3 stars and have a QC failure, you simply lose a star. The followup question, however, is how do you gain stars?

I just bought a used M2 last month and it's great. Only paid $400CDN. I like the tilt screen and the WiFi capability to control with my tablet. Going on a photo trip to Toronto on Saturday as supposed to be sunny and 6°C. Decided on the Sony over a second Canon. Like I can always keep it with me. With the 28-100 on the Sony and the 70-250 on the Canon, I'm well covered.

Jill

Archived