"on the way to the skip"

Morning again...

Taking a break from new IM work and reading forum.

I also have a pseudo for pics I think "on the way to the dump" but then they are zoomed..even sold

am I too critical.....what experiences have you had that made you think twice on editing & deleting??

Sparks!

I used to delete too ... then ... when I started using a junk pseudonym, it often became my highest ranking. It was (and remains) a powerful lesson.

and

Special note for my fellow American readers: "Skip" in this context is British for "dumpster."

I deleted an RM image a few weeks ago just before getting the new IM.  It had never sold after a few years so I decided to delete it and upload again as RF.  The RM version sold a few days ago so I have had to ask CR to reverse the deletion and get rid of the RF version.

I only ever delete to replace with a better version.  Now we don't need to do that to change the license which is good for non sellers.

Pearl

I'm a serial scavenger of skips. ( haven't had the chance at a dumpster)  Property developers and builders  chuck some real gems in their hurry to get on with the job. I've even retrieved some nice timber from skips on my own property!

Chuck out images from a portfolio in hopes of helping one's CTR? Very dubious strategy. I remember the days of agencies doing culls of transparencies, Boy! did they make some howlers.

Moving them to a "junk" pseudonym sounds better, but even that seems a bit like gaming the system. Spending time on more and better images more useful. Advice I should follow myself!

I remember the days of agencies doing culls of transparencies, Boy! did they make some howlers.

The agency I was once contributing to housed hundreds of thousands of transparencies - mostly originals but also dupes. When the collection was closed (because Alamy - and others - were making a huge impact on the digital picture market) the originals were split up and stuffed into clear sheets by summer job students. The last time I went in to be paid I saw these students picking up the sheets upside down and originals dropping on the floor - in between the floorboards.

I imagine these gems will still be lying down there so DM me and we'll go in together with crowbars and make some money.

Richard.

If CTR is working, a trash pseudo would drag you down. I delete trash, put good images in one pseudo, put images that I like very much in a second pseudo. Hoping that a trash image will sell is like hoping to win a lottery.

I understand it to be that each pseudo has its own ranking.  I have separate click through rates for each of my 3 pseudos plus Alamy shows the overall CTR.  If individual pseudos aren't counted, why give their CTR?

Jill

If CTR is working, a trash pseudo would drag you down. I delete trash, put good images in one pseudo, put images that I like very much in a second pseudo. Hoping that a trash image will sell is like hoping to win a lottery.

I understand it to be that each pseudo has its own ranking.  I have separate click through rates for each of my 3 pseudos plus Alamy shows the overall CTR.  If individual pseudos aren't counted, why give their CTR?

Jill

Yes.. this was my understanding too. The CTR of the trash pseudo could potentially be low.. but your main pseudo(s)' CTRs would be independent and unaffected.

But who can tell what is a trash image? Exposure, colour (color), subject, etc etc, I don't know. One thing is for sure it is always amazing what does sell at times, who can tell.

And people do win the lottery - you have to be in it to win it.

So I keep most images.

I remember the days of agencies doing culls of transparencies, Boy! did they make some howlers.

The agency I was once contributing to housed hundreds of thousands of transparencies - mostly originals but also dupes. When the collection was closed (because Alamy - and others - were making a huge impact on the digital picture market) the originals were split up and stuffed into clear sheets by summer job students. The last time I went in to be paid I saw these students picking up the sheets upside down and originals dropping on the floor - in between the floorboards.

I imagine these gems will still be lying down there so DM me and we'll go in together with crowbars and make some money.

Richard.

In a former life, I was a designer which entailed buying images and I spent (wasted) many hours looking through thousands of images in trays in London picture libraries. It always amazed me that you could just wander off with any number of transparencies, many of which were originals. Transparencies sometimes came back from scanning houses covered in a light oil but there was always the potential for them to be seriously damaged and it was a relief when I returned them to the agency intact. Rather how I feel when returning a hire car.

Ahhh, they might as well have spent 3 weeks in a skip, given their condition on return, you're right. In fact, I've had to go to some expense to have my better frames professionally cleaned before scanning though at least they subsequently cleared QC. Our agency Katz/IPG checked every original that left the building (or so I'd like to think).

But as a researcher, I'd imagine some days were pretty fruitless. It would have depended on the library manager pointing you in correct right filing cabinet, though.

Richard.

Archived