On an iMac. I took the screen shot, then didn't know what to do. A box popped up offering to save to Dropbox. How can I save it to my desktop? I didn't even get to visualize the screen shot. All very mysterious.

Action: I pressed the appropriate 3 keys, then all that happened was the offer to save to Dropbox.

???

Betty

On my Mac I just press Command+Shift+3 to get a full screen shot, or Command+Shift+4 which gives me a cursor where I can choose which portion to save. When I release the camera shutter sounds and it's automatically saved to the desktop as "Screen Shot (date and time)

I don't use Drop Box and don't get any kind of option. Check your desktop and if it's not there then maybe there's some sort of Drop Box for Mac tutorial.

Betty, what keys did you press?

Command, shift, 3.

FotoDoug, I never thought to look on my cluttered desktop. I'll look. Don't know what you mean "when I release the camera" what camera? Using my fingers, lol. Sorry, I'm being stupid with the fingers remark. Still don't understand camera though.

Command+Shift+4 sounds interesting.

Jill, I think I did right click and nothing happened. But will try again to make sure.

Wim, I'll fall back on that if nothing else works.

Tomorrow.

Thanks, y'all.

Edit typo

Betty, what keys did you press?

Command, shift, 3.

FotoDoug, I never thought to look on my cluttered desktop. I'll look. Don't know what you mean "when I release the camera" what camera? Using my fingers, lol. Sorry, I'm being stupid with the fingers remark. Still don't understand camera though.

Command+Shift+4 sounds interesting.

Jill, I think I did right click and nothing happened. But will try again to make sure.

Wim, I'll fall back on that if nothing else works.

Tomorrow.

Thanks, y'all.

Edit typo

Maybe this will be clearer.... When I release the three keys,  the computer makes a sound like a camera shutter, and the file is automatically saved to the desktop. 

The desktop folder is located on your internal hard drive. If the actual desktop is too cluttered to see it, just open a new finder window that you can sort alphabetically or according to time/date.

Sounds like you need to do a little tidying up of your desktop. It has its own preferences where it drops things.

My imac likes to have its internal hard drive showing up in the top right hand corner with the backup drive icon just below it. If you can keep the next few spaces up there clear, that is where your next few screen grabs will pop up saving you the chore of hunting them down. They will just be labeled as screen-grabs with a date, so you need to rename them and move them to keep the space available. I much prefer the "command-shift 4" key-chain as it allows you to select just the bit you want to keep and results in a more recognizable image which is quite a bit smaller.

Take control of your desktop is not a bad mantra.

I will now go downstairs and help her indoors with how best to boil an egg

OH! OH! Be careful. Her indoors might read this when you are out. :)

Allan

I use the app Grab that is on a Mac. It gives me a choice of screen or window or lets me select a section. As fotoDogue says, there is a sound and it is saved to the desktop I usually rename it also in Grab. I keep Grab on (in?) the Launchpad so I can grab it easily.

Paulette

Sounds like you need to do a little tidying up of your desktop. It has its own preferences where it drops things.

My imac likes to have its internal hard drive showing up in the top right hand corner with the backup drive icon just below it. If you can keep the next few spaces up there clear, that is where your next few screen grabs will pop up saving you the chore of hunting them down. They will just be labeled as screen-grabs with a date, so you need to rename them and move them to keep the space available. I much prefer the "command-shift 4" key-chain as it allows you to select just the bit you want to keep and results in a more recognizable image which is quite a bit smaller.

Take control of your desktop is not a bad mantra.

I take offense to that! :D My desktop looks exactly like the bottom of my closet. I get on with that very well, since it only takes me 5 minutes to find the other shoe!

I use the app Grab that is on a Mac. It gives me a choice of screen or window or lets me select a section. As fotoDogue says, there is a sound and it is saved to the desktop I usually rename it also in Grab. I keep Grab on (in?) the Launchpad so I can grab it easily.

Paulette

Many thanks for that Paulette. I had never seen or heard of the app called "Grab" before. Just checked and it is there so it is also now on my launchpad too.

A greenie for you too.

Allan

Paulette

Paulette,

You don't need a separate app. Screen shot is built into OS X.

Paulette

Paulette,

You don't need a separate app. Screen shot is built into OS X.

Yes, but I would have to remember the keystrokes. My mind is pretty darn poor at something like that unless I am doing it every day. Grab sort of talks to me and gives me instructions and I can find it very easily. It has a catchy name so I don't forget it. We each have our ways.

Paulette

Archived