Psuedos in searches

CandyAppleRed Images

I'd like to see the pseudonym search completely separate from the generic searches. One of my pseudos is the same name as a prominent UK politician and every time someone searches for him, I get an awful lot of spurious hits because anything with my pseudo is included. Also happens to a lesser degree on one of my other pseudos. Maybe a dropdown on the search that has options of "contributor", "keywords" or "both" would alleviate this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - we're looking at this and considering a method where pseudonyms will not be part of a 'normal' search but there will be an option to search via pseudonym if a user wishes to do so.

Thanks - we're looking at this and considering a method where pseudonyms will not be part of a 'normal' search but there will be an option to search via pseudonym if a user wishes to do so.

Maybe this is a good time to ask for a far more elaborate filter system for advanced users, where more fields could be turned off or on or even weighed with sliders.

search the description field - yes<>no

search the location field - yes<>no

search the pseudo field - yes<>no

Maybe even:

exclude this word; pseudo; photographer; agency; all agencies; everything that is available on micro's; everything that is available elsewhere.

wim

Please DON'T make the Description field searchable again as I will have to remove a lot of useful info.

Pearl

+1

Kumar Sriskandan

Pearl, Richard, Doc,

I'm not for making the Description field searchable as a default. But if nothing comes up in a search, an option to extend a search to the Description fileld could be useful to a client. The same if there are far too many results.

It's a tricky balance between CTR and selling your pictures, I know. But a sale does more for your rank, than your CTR.

Btw, I think the description field and the name of the photographer or pseudo should be visible in the pop up screen without scrolling.

And the caption is still not being displayed beyond 70 characters or so. (It's ok in the mouse over pop up.)

wim

• 1 month later...

I'm confused. I can still search my  pseudos from the front page and from the box at the top of secondary pages without using "advanced search".

John, that's probably because the new changes don't come in to play until next week :)

dd

I see that the location field will no longer be searchable, which brings this "nobody's fault" situation to mind:

Most of my images are news photos, and most are shot in New York, which means "New" appears in most captions.

---> IF changing "New York" in news caption to "NY" is okay at some point after the event, do you think one has more to lose by not having "New York" searchable or more to gain by avoiding false hits when an old thing comes up in searches for [new + thing]?

It's disheartening, but perhaps unavoidable, to get those false hits when, for example, New York vintage car show photos come up in searches for [new car].

Hi - we've made some tweaks to the search engine related to these points that will be going live shortly. Blog post here:

http://www.alamy.com/Blog/contributor/archive/2013/06/12/5376.aspx

Archived