Interesting developement from Fuji.

So Fuji are entering the medium format market with their GFX 50S series camera. It is expected to cost under $10,000 with detachable EVF and GR63mm f/2.8 R WR lens.

The really interesting part is that the 51.4 million pixel CMOS sensor is to be a BAYER pattern filter array. Note BAYER. Maybe they have been listening to some photographers, me included, that Bayer is better than Xtrans sensor.

At the price, even if it comes down to $5,000, I won,t be buying one.

Allan

EDIT:  Maybe when they get to it they will include a Bayer array in the X-T3 now they know how to do it.

ITMA

Allan and all,

I was a big time FUJI fan for decades, RDP was one of the greatest E-6 chrome films ever made and starting with the FUJI

S-2, FUJI with it's CCD sensor was light years ahead of everyone else.  I must say that FUJI, in my opinion really fell apart

after the end of the S-5 and I'm not sure I would ever make an investment in FUJI equipment again,  I have not found any

DSLR that comes close to the D800, both $ and image quality.

Chuck

Allan and all,

I was a big time FUJI fan for decades, RDP was one of the greatest E-6 chrome films ever made and starting with the FUJI

S-2, FUJI with it's CCD sensor was light years ahead of everyone else.  I must say that FUJI, in my opinion really fell apart

after the end of the S-5 and I'm not sure I would ever make an investment in FUJI equipment again,  I have not found any

Chuck

+ 1

Have any of you youngsters heard of a company called Kodak? Just curious. 

Allan and all,

Chuck

Different strokes for different folks. I didn't care for my D800. It was my least favorite Nikon. Huge and heavy, reds in flowers and jewelry was wonky, often having purple shifts. (Is wonky a word or a Bettyism?) even with a passport, I got truer color with my Fuji without using the passport than D800 with it. And the images from it never, ever excited me. I was way more excited about the D7000 except the images were soft. Color and DR was perfect. Too bad I had more failures with it than any other for soft and lacking definition. That's shooting with a 50mm, 105VR, 24-70 and 80-400.

I now have the X-T2 and finally have a file size I get on with. The lenses are better than Nikon. Of course that's my opinion.

But I started with the D70, and then had D200, 300, and 7000 before going FF. So it's not like Nikon was a flash in the pan.

I will say dynamic range was better with the later Nikons, but that's about it. The earlier Nikons had horrible transitions going from lights to darks. I can't say how many otherwise good shots I had to trash because there was no fixing those blotchy transitions.

No way can I afford the Fuji medium format, and I wouldn't buy it if I could.

For shooting stock, what I have pleases me.

Edo,

When I was a photojournalist in the Soviet Union and Russia I shot a lot of RDP.  The only problem was

that if I photographed anything "sensitive" and they grabbed the film they could process E-6, but I also

was one of the "photographers" working with Kodak on PKR or Kodachrome 200, which was also a great

film in the 80's and 90's and the KGB could not process it, they did not have access to the chemistry or equipment.

For those who don't know the FUJI S-2 PRO DSLR was a decade ahead of all others.  Great camera and an

exceptional sensor. 

The NIKON D800 is also an exceptional machine and a great sensor, made by SONY (UCK), but it is heavy

lifting, processing.  I do 300 pushups a day just to keep in shape to carry all of my DSLR equipment and NORMAN

lighting equipment......

Edo,  My best selling image on Alamy was shot with a Kodak/Nikon DCS620.  I've owned and worked

with DCS 420's, 460's, 620's and 760's  These kids don't remember $40,000.00 DSLR bodies without screens on

the back......

So Fuji are entering the medium format market with their GFX 50S series camera. It is expected to cost under $10,000 with detachable EVF and GR63mm f/2.8 R WR lens.

Allan

Me neither, I am currently recoiling with horror at the introduction price of the new Sony 6500, body only £1500. Given the relatively limited life of a digital camera you need a return on investment from stock of perhaps 20-25% to justify a purchase. Would a new camera body bring in that additional revenue? Only if the existing camera snapped, methinks.

Allan and all,

Chuck

+ 1

I'm not a youngster of course but still use Kodak film for 8" x 10". Portra 160 NC. Just took delivery of another big batch, (from B&H) for a couple of major projects I'm working on. Super service and delivery. Cheaper and quicker than I can can get it here even with taxes and shipping. Miss browsing that store and then having lunch in the Cheyenne Diner opposite, (now sadly gone). They used to serve Welsh ice cream. 

Allan

Me neither, I am currently recoiling with horror at the introduction price of the new Sony 6500, body only £1500. Given the relatively limited life of a digital camera you need a return on investment from stock of perhaps 20-25% to justify a purchase. Would a new camera body bring in that additional revenue? Only if the existing camera snapped, methinks.

LOL  :D  :D  :D

Allan

Allan and all,

Chuck

+ 1

I ain't a youngster and remember using Kodak when I first started in photography.

Allan

Allan and all,

Chuck

+ 1

I ain't a youngster and remember using Kodak when I first started in photography.

Allan

Colour, preposterous!  Couldn't afford colour, it was a choice between HP3, FP3 and TriX, D76 or ID11  latterly used FP4 or HP4, experimented with Microphen.....

Later, when (only just) relatively affluent, used Agfa, a big mistake as most of the slides have deteriorated badly. 

Allan and all,

Chuck

+ 1

Allan

Colour, preposterous!  Couldn't afford colour, it was a choice between HP3, FP3 and TriX, D76 or ID11  latterly used FP4 or HP4, experimented with Microphen.....

Later, when (only just) relatively affluent, used Agfa, a big mistake as most of the slides have deteriorated badly. 

Ed is fortunate enough to have lived in the UK so he can do irony and so on.

Always been more of an Ilford and Agfa man except for colour neg. Interesting, I recently scanned all my slides (1976-2003) and the Agfas are fine, even before they went to E6 in the early 80s.

A number of Ektachromes have exuded droplets of something on the emulsion side- it comes off readily but you have to demount the slide. It shows in a few skies.

My Agfa Super-8 films have suffered rather from fungus and they weren't badly kept.

I've said this before on the forum, but let me repeat: anyone who's been faced with the problem of moving 500+ rolls of costly color film across international borders, as I used to do, will not be nostalgic for the Film Era. Most of the time, in my case, that was Kodachrome ASA 25. I hated all other colour films, K 64 and K 200 and all Ektachromes, everything, until Fuji became a serious producer. Ah, it seems so long ago . . . and it was. 

I passed 3,000 this morning. Drinks for everyone! (Give the bill to Mark.) 

:)

Whoah! I haven't done that well this year but you're welcome to pitch in on the stuff we brought back from France and Germany the other week.

I'm not looking forward to the prospect of the wretched duty-free allowance of five bottles post-Brexit. Five bottles is a toast, not a quantity of wine.

I've said this before on the forum, but let me repeat: anyone who's been faced with the problem of moving 500+ rolls of costly color film across international borders, as I used to do, will not be nostalgic for the Film Era. Most of the time, in my case, that was Kodachrome ASA 25. I hated all other colour films, K 64 and K 200 and all Ektachromes, everything, until Fuji became a serious producer. Ah, it seems so long ago . . . and it was. 

Congrats!  I'm working toward 5000, hope to be there by the end of December.

Congrats!  I'm working toward 5000, hope to be there by the end of December.

A thin year for me until I put up 907 recently. Handy to have QC passes before 9am so I could get going. No excuses to prevaricate.

Everyone's welcome to a virtual glass of this €3 Cabernet Sauvignon I'm on at the moment. Beringer might turn up their noses at it but it went well with the coq au vin.

May I have two glasses, Mark? That second pour of Cabernet is the one I look forward to. 

I'm sure you'll hit 5000 before 2016 is over, Betty. I'm gonna sit and look at my wall for a while before moving towards my next goal. 

May I have two glasses, Mark? That second pour of Cabernet is the one I look forward to. 

I'm sure you'll hit 5000 before 2016 is over, Betty. I'm gonna sit and look at my wall for a while before moving towards my next goal.

I may contemplate my feet for awhile, Ed. Check and see how chipped my polish is. ;)

I may contemplate my feet for awhile, Ed. Check and see how chipped my polish is. ;)

Not ANOTHER pair of shoes? ;)

Allan

Not ANOTHER pair of shoes? ;)

Allan

Umm...Naturalizer DID mail me a shoe sale ad....

Congrats Edo and you go girl Betty! - sure you'll make it! I'm within easy distance of 1,000 at last - a goal I've missed for too long now. I deleted 70 images this year and was afraid I wouldn't make it, but with 2 1/2 months to go I'm just 11 images short of my goal (if I counted my Stockimo images, I'd already be there). 

Betty, take pix of shoes and justify the purchase by how much you'll make on the pix? 

I just started a diet using an app on my iPhone that encourages me to take photos of the food I eat. A new direction for my photography? Following in Edo's footsteps?

Here you go, Ed, couldn't find you a cabernet  in my port but one of these is a pinot noir and the other a pinot meunier, I think.

a-tasting-flight-of-three-mosel-red-wine

Congrats Edo and you go girl Betty! - sure you'll make it! I'm within easy distance of 1,000 at last - a goal I've missed for too long now. I deleted 70 images this year and was afraid I wouldn't make it, but with 2 1/2 months to go I'm just 11 images short of my goal (if I counted my Stockimo images, I'd already be there). 

Betty, take pix of shoes and justify the purchase by how much you'll make on the pix? 

I just started a diet using an app on my iPhone that encourages me to take photos of the food I eat. A new direction for my photography? Following in Edo's footsteps?

Yes, deleting images hurt totals. All of a sudden I'll have a chunk of 30 or so gone. I have all my artistic ones up for deletion. I'll not have them sell Personal use for a fraction of what I get on POD site. That might mess with my goal.

Bryan: "Me neither, I am currently recoiling with horror at the introduction price of the new Sony 6500, body only £1500. Given the relatively limited life of a digital camera you need a return on investment from stock of perhaps 20-25% to justify a purchase. Would a new camera body bring in that additional revenue? Only if the existing camera snapped, methinks."

A6500 is better than previous models for high end video and apparently no heat problem up to 2 X 29.5 minutes in succession. Better sensor, but marginal improvement. I have the A6000 and frankly, with the lenses I use - E mount 10-18, 16-50 and 55-110 mm - I don't think the lenses will do justice to the sensor image improvement. My images habitually pass QC at full size. I only downsize in dull weather and excessive shadowing where luminance is difficult to erase completely without collateral damage. For Alamy, with the diminishing returns per image due to unit price and excessive volume of images on sale, I would not invest in new equipment except for equipment write-off. 80,000 new images a day is around 25 million added a year and rising. In year 2020 they could be at 200 million images or thereabouts. 

On the Fuji medium format I suspect that Fuji has joined the lengthening queue to use Sony's CMOS sensor. Maybe that is where the Bayer sensor comes from.

Archived