Still no sales?!

Hi guys,

I've been an Alamy contributor for nearly a year now and still have made 0 sales! I have a small selection of photos (around 200) but I'm struggling to justify the lengthy upload process with $0 coming in!

The photos I have uploaded have all been keyworded, titled and captioned so I can only assume that the market on alamy is geared towards different photos than other stock agencies? 

Any advice would be great

Chris

You need a lot of luck, or commercially outstanding images, to sell with only 171 available.

Have you checked customer requirements in All of Alamy against those that are in your portfolio, and also checked to see what others are offering in those areas? You've got some nice photos but is there a demand for this kind of work here?

Time to diversify and expand. 171 images are a raindrop in the ocean. More pictures of people doing things like the guy jumping with skis. Maybe once you have 1710 images you'll have a sale infrequently. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

Hi , cdbr225

I had a look at your images, - many are very good, well saturated, colourful and saleable!

My feeling about lack of sales is as follows:

1. (Most importantly), you only have a very small number of images - most people with that number have not had sales unless their images are very unusual

2. Your images are fine for Alamy, but are mainly related to mountain scenery - you need to diversify to make sales

3. Be very obsessive regarding keywording - for example your images of elks are OK but always put in the latin name with animal images, in this case, Cervus canadensis

4. Always try and put the exact place either in the caption or the keywords, and ideally both, so the images of the canadian rockies should have the state as well as the country

5. This is a professional site - you are competing with professional photographers and elementary errors like including your shadow in the image (F66BXB) is not ideal!

Hope that helps

Kumar

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I've got a few things to work on there. So if I understand correctly, if I am selling an image on shutterstock/istock and I post the same image for sale on here it must be under royalty free? 

Chris

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I've got a few things to work on there. So if I understand correctly, if I am selling an image on shutterstock/istock and I post the same image for sale on here it must be under royalty free?

Chris

Yes, Chris, if your image is offered on another agency as RF, royalty free, it must be offered as RF here.

Keep in mind, though, if that image has person, in part or whole, in it and/or property that requires a Property Release to be sold commercially, it can ONLY be offered as RM, right managed here on Alamy - unless you can provide all required Model Releases and Property Releases.

-- I enjoyed viewing your nature images.

All the best - Ann

It is my experience that wildlife/nature isn't the hottest, most purchased images here. Not saying they won't sell, but, for instance, lifestyle might do better.

Beautiful landscapes are only rarely searched. Yet the Rocky Mountains is a travel destination, just be more specific as others suggest. And a person in some of those would add another layer of saleability but only if you have model releases or a new image not offered as RF elsewhere that can be sold RM here.

I didn't make my first sale until I had somewhere over 500 images. Even after, the next sales came slow. And that was when Alamy only had about 10 million images in the collection. Look at the numbers now, and you'll see you have to peddle fast just to stay even.

Go to Alamy measures, at the bottom click "all of Alamy. this takes you to a spreadsheet. You can select the item to view, and dates. From 18 Aug 2016 to 16 Sep 2016 the most zoomed terms were Jamie Dornan, High Line new yourk, Metthew Broderick, Chris Gayle, cowboy horse (actually I have an image of this and it was not zoomed, shame on me!) ... On the upper hand side there is a box, you can type in keywords that pertain your images. See how many times people looked for this in the last month, year, two years (not sure how far back the database goes).

Then go back and click "your images", click on your pseudonym, look up the search terms that led to your images being viewed etc. There is a wealth of information on Alamy measures and that might give you an idea about how popular your subject matter is in the search engine, and whether the customers who are looking for images like yours can actually get to them.

My two cents. It is tough here but I complained for a long time about no sales and when I had one it was worth more than all the sales I'd had on the other agencies I contribute to. 

Good luck and keep up learning and uploading and improving.  :)

Go to Alamy measures, at the bottom click "all of Alamy. this takes you to a spreadsheet. 

I cannot seem to find where to start with Alamy measures what page is it located on or how to find it?

go to my alamy

You will see a graph on the right hand side and some statistics on the left hand side

Scroll down past tools, additional revenue options, link to your images on alamy, then Alamy measures. 

Alamy measures is a graph

on the bottom there are two grey rectangles, one says "your images" and the other says "all of Alamy"

Those are the links I am talking about 

They are just above "help"

Archived