Blown Highlights on Alamy Home Page Images

Firstly, this is not in any way intended as a criticism.

Looking at the current images on the home page there appear (to my eyes) areas of blown highlights.  I suppose they

would come under the heading of 'creative'.

I would be very wary of uploading any of mine if they were like this as I would be concerned about them not

passing QC.

It will interesting to read what other forum members think - I'm guessing mixed opinions.

Regards

John

Actually not blown.Quite varying values below 255-255-255. Just checked. But you are right - at first glance it looks as if it is could be blown.

Quite acceptable I think, though covering a large area of the photo.

My first darkroom instructor said on my first day in the darkroom..."The secret is that it's called Black & White. You need to see both." I think the same applies in colour...there are two opposite ends of the tonal scale from pure white,(could be blown out hilights) to pure black, and the strength in a lot of images is in having both. There will always be the exception, but blown out hilights never bothered me unless they detracted form the image.

Can't comment on the exact technical quality of the images but I liked them and when I saw some of them I thought.......hmmmmm  most of my images are very safe because of QC fears and I would be reluctant to upload some of my more "creative" stuff.  Maybe time for a rethink?

Can't comment on the exact technical quality of the images but I liked them and when I saw some of them I thought.......hmmmmm  most of my images are very safe because of QC fears and I would be reluctant to upload some of my more "creative" stuff.  Maybe time for a rethink?

+1

My feelings exactly.  I'm always overly careful when regarding extremes: focusing, highlights, DOF, etc. in order to comply precisely with QC requirements.  I think that it might be time to take a risk or two!

I think the people at Alamy QC get it when a shooter is going for a creative effect. The "blown" window light in the first image is a common effect in interior magazines. This image of mine would not be at all interesting if it did not include both under and over exposures at the ends:  

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/mannequins-ed-rooney.html

I think the people at Alamy QC get it when a shooter is going for a creative effect. The "blown" window light in the first image is a common effect in interior magazines. This image of mine would not be at all interesting if it did not include both under and over exposures at the ends:  

Very nice, Ed. I like the effect. However, I would have been hesitant to upload an image like that after reading Alamy's submission guidelines, which make no mention of creative effects. Why has QC made us -- or at least some of us -- so paranoid? I think this is a fair question.

Very nice, Ed. I like the effect. However, I would have been hesitant to upload an image like that after reading Alamy's submission guidelines, which make no mention of creative effects. Why has QC made us -- or at least some of us -- so paranoid? I think this is a fair question.

Yes, you're right of course, Ed, but along with John I too have been nervous about swerving off-course from the submission guidelines for fear of failing QC.

I uploaded a first test in my last submission two days ago (very bright; 'natural' but exaggerated flare and saturation). I took the picture more than 3 years ago, but have not submitted it until now precisely because of the reasons stated:

DA6EBJ.jpg

...but it got through OK - as Ed suggests would be the case with his example. Time to get a little braver maybe?!

Edit: BTW, there's only the slightest suggestion of blown highlights along the bottom blade and the sunburst at the bottom of the mast.

FLASH!  I have NOT got that image in my Alamy collection . . . thought I had, but no. So be careful, mates.  :o

Give it a go and let us know! :)

LOL  Don't think so. Alamy is neither a fine arts agency nor a print agency. My everyday tendency is to shoot subjects for Alamy that I think of as stock, going for a normal exposure. I would have no hesitation in submitting the shot that the OP was talking about . . . but my yellow mannikins are a bit out there. I feel that in stock no one image is very important. 

I'm currently in the 'sin-bin' having uploaded what I thought was a creative and evocative image in evening sunlight. It's been nearly a year since I had a QC failure which was entirely my fault - isn't it always?

I am still of the opinion that it has photographic merit/ sales potential but am expecting a failure due to SoLD. 

It's a judgement call and in fairness to Alamy, their rules are abundantly clear. 

FLASH!  I have NOT got that image in my Alamy collection . . . thought I had, but no. So be careful, mates.  :o

Give it a go and let us know! :)

LOL  Don't think so. Alamy is neither a fine arts agency nor a print agency. My everyday tendency is to shoot subjects for Alamy that I think of as stock, going for a normal exposure. I would have no hesitation in submitting the shot that the OP was talking about . . . but my yellow mannikins are a bit out there. I feel that in stock no one image is very important. 

An Update: As it turns out I do have this mannequins image on Alamy! AX4NRT 

I just missed it when looking through my collection the other day. So whatever lesson you (and I) have drawn from this, let's reverse our opinions. So as I think I've said, QC gets it. I was of course looking for something else when I tripped over this. 

I'm currently in the 'sin-bin' having uploaded what I thought was a creative and evocative image in evening sunlight. It's been nearly a year since I had a QC failure which was entirely my fault - isn't it always?

I am still of the opinion that it has photographic merit/ sales potential but am expecting a failure due to SoLD. 

It's a judgement call and in fairness to Alamy, their rules are abundantly clear. 

IME, it's seldom the image that I think is going to fail that ultimately does. QC can be full of surprises.

Archived