I tried shooting some video with a Sony fisheye lens the other day, and I noticed that my camera (Sony NEX-6) does not automatically correct purple fringing as it does when shooting stills in JPEG mode with Sony lenses.

Is there any software (hopefully free) out there that can correct purple fringing in videos?

I tried shooting some video with a Sony fisheye lens the other day, and I noticed that my camera (Sony NEX-6) does not automatically correct purple fringing as it does when shooting stills in JPEG mode with Sony lenses.

Is there any software (hopefully free) out there that can correct purple fringing in videos?

The few references to removing CA and purple fringing in video I've found nearly all refer to After Effects (definitely not free software). I've seen one explanation on how to do it in Davinci Resolve, but since it involves using multiple nodes and all kind of other jiggery-pokery, it just made my head spin. My own approach to the best way to deal with purple fringing in video is not to shoot anything which will incur it. If i had a unique piece of footage so afflicted which I coudn't reshoot, I'd probably investigate what was posible with Resolve, but to date I've never felt so moved and anything with that amount of fringing is just deleted.

The few references to removing CA and purple fringing in video I've found nearly all refer to After Effects (definitely not free software). I've seen one explanation on how to do it in Davinci Resolve, but since it involves using multiple nodes and all kind of other jiggery-pokery, it just made my head spin. My own approach to the best way to deal with purple fringing in video is not to shoot anything which will incur it. If i had a unique piece of footage so afflicted which I coudn't reshoot, I'd probably investigate what was posible with Resolve, but to date I've never felt so moved and anything with that amount of fringing is just deleted.

Thanks, Joseph. Think I'll just leave the fisheye lens at home when shooting video.

Is it worth shooting video clips in vertical format? Can't help noticing that there aren't a lot of vertical videos available, which could indicate that there isn't much demand.

I'd say definitely no. This derives from lazy and ignorant phone video shooters in my opinion.

At least one microstock site encouraged shooters to try shooting vertical HD video about six years ago. As far as I can see, it didn't come to much for anyone.

Coincidentally, Bolton Wanderers replaced their stadium giant screen with a vertical format one last season. Nobody seemed to understand why or like it very much and we were relegated to the old third division (possibly not a direct cause and effect, but symptomatic of a truly awful season). Consequently  the club can no longer afford the system to show in-game replays and the screen is limited pretty well to just showing messages about sponsors. Perhaps it's just as well and the club will realise the error of its cinematic ways next year when we return as conquering heroes astride the third division champion's trophy.  ;)  :)

• 2 weeks later...

A question about shutter speed when shooting video. I've been trying to adhere to the 1 over 2 times the fps rule -- i.e. 1/60 of a second when shooting at 30 frames per second. I've found that using a variable ND filter helps a lot in this regard. However, I don't really notice any difference between videos shot at faster shutter speeds such as 1/80, 1/125, etc. and those made at 1/60 sec. How important is it to stick to the prescribed shutter speed?

I always aim to stay at 1/50th for 25fps and this is indeed possible in all light conditions seen thus far by using an ND filter. However fitting the filter is not that easy so I occasionally up the speed to 1/100th and ws told to always double it and reduce the F stop accordingly rather than simply increasing the speed incrementally until the desired exposure is obtained. I cannot see a difference but I guess there could be a difference in some circumstances.

Regen

A question about shutter speed when shooting video. I've been trying to adhere to the 1 over 2 times the fps rule -- i.e. 1/60 of a second when shooting at 30 frames per second. I've found that using a variable ND filter helps a lot in this regard. However, I don't really notice any difference between videos shot at faster shutter speeds such as 1/80, 1/125, etc. and those made at 1/60 sec. How important is it to stick to the prescribed shutter speed?

John ... look carefully at 'motion blur' (only) depending upon the subject you have shot. In the case of 24fps, you'd set your shutter speed at 1/50th and If you're shooting at 30fps then you'd use 1/60th. This rule determines the amount of motion blur you'll see in your video. You may see full details here.

Kumar, India

John ... look carefully at 'motion blur' (only) depending upon the subject you have shot. In the case of 24fps, you'd set your shutter speed at 1/50th and If you're shooting at 30fps then you'd use 1/60th. This rule determines the amount of motion blur you'll see in your video. You may see full details here.

Kumar, India

Thanks for the informative link, Kumar.  I plan to stick with 1/60 sec. (30 fps) now that I have a variable ND filter.

Just noticed here that Alamy is no longer accepting applications for footage. Too bad, I liked their more "rights managed" approach to video.

"We’re receiving and selling more images than ever before. Because of this we’ve decided to solely focus on stills for now and we’re not currently accepting any new footage applications".

... as perceived earlier, Alamy has chosen to let 'videos' be on the back-burner as compared to their 'stills' archives. Surely not encouraging at all for those intending to submit videos here, or even for those who have already submitted their clips here.

Kumar, India

"We’re receiving and selling more images than ever before. Because of this we’ve decided to solely focus on stills for now and we’re not currently accepting any new footage applications".

... as perceived earlier, Alamy has chosen to let 'videos' be on the back-burner as compared to their 'stills' archives. Surely not encouraging at all for those intending to submit videos here, or even for those who have already submitted their clips here.

Kumar, India

Yes, it would be nice to have a bit more of an explanation.

After looking around at various agencies, I can see that all the obvious subjects have been video-clipped to death. However, I'm amazed by how many really bad videos there are of where I live. So that is giving me some idea of where to start. I certainly don't expect to make a pile of money with video. Nonetheless, it's something new to try. and I'm enjoying the learning curve.

My first video project is an hour-long (or more) documentary intended for a wide audience via DVD (I like jumping in at deep ends), on a historical subject of local significance. It's written and presented by a friend so as the cameraman I don't have to worry too much about the content and instead I'm concentrating on image quality and visual appeal. Like others have said, I can't afford to splash out on expensive gear so I'm trying to make the most of the constraints of static camera equipment. One person who's seen clips of the film said it clearly showed my background as a still photographer, which doesn't surprise me as all the shots are statically filmed and any movement is within the frame. But I feel that trying to emulate motorised zooms, sliders or trolleys manually will inevitably give the film an amateurish look. Everyone who's seen bits of it says it's visually very appealing.

One thing we've found over the year we've been shooting, which is relevant to your comment above, John, is that as we explore the local area for ideas and locations, we come across other smaller topics of great interest and add them to a list of short films we plan to do in the future. Many of the scenes we've shot, and would be shooting for future films, are ideal for being extracted as clips for sale through a library.

In terms of equipment I've broken my limited-spend rule in only one area, and that's sound. The sound capabilities of a DSLR are pretty poor compared to its visual capabilities, and I invested in a couple of lapel mics (cheap at £20 a piece but good quality) and a Tascam DR60 external recorder.

Alan

An hour :o  That will take a while to edit, process and grade! Just finished a 10min job for a bunch of lads doing a 24hour endurance bike ride from Newcastle Upon Tyne to Dunvegan Castle on the Isle of Skye. That took long enough. An hour.... dedication there!!

Anyone who's interested, the exploits of the six riders is on my blog. Mental the lot of them!! :P

My first video project is an hour-long (or more) documentary

An hour.... dedication there!!

I've been shooting for the last year and editing as I go by breaking the film down into individual scenes. I don't think I'd want to face the job of doing it all in one go.

Oh, and did I mention that I'm writing all the music for the film too (and I can't play an instrument)? That seems much more like dedication to me!

Alan

• 3 months later...

Hi all, Video sounds like quite a lot of hard work but is it worth it from a financial perspective? What is the 'normal' fee for a short video? Is the commission rate the same?

I'm assuming payment might be higher because of the extra work involved, length of clip, editing etc. but perhaps I am just being naive?

VBW, John

I experimented with shooting video clips this year and submitted my small collection to several agencies  -- that will remain unnamed -- in order to test the waters. No sales at all so far. Not sure that it's worth the effort (for me, anyway). Am I sounding like a millennial? B)

I experimented with shooting video clips this year and submitted my small collection to several agencies  -- that will remain unnamed -- in order to test the waters. No sales at all so far. Not sure that it's worth the effort (for me, anyway). Am I sounding like a millennial? B)

John, That's useful to know. You have saved me some time, thank you. Haven't watched the millennial video yet so can't, unfortunately, answer your question. :-(

John, That's useful to know. You have saved me some time, thank you. Haven't watched the millennial video yet so can't, unfortunately, answer your question. :-(

No worries, it's all good. Didn't mean to discourage you. I'm sure there are others here who have plenty of success with video.

No worries, it's all good. Didn't mean to discourage you. I'm sure there are others here who have plenty of success with video.

Cheers John, Better to be forewarned rather than having to spend countless hours shooting clips only to be disappointed afterwards. Will keep my ear to the ground just in case things pick-up. BW, John

Archived