He's asking questions we all want to know. Giving reds and criticising his language abilities smacks of bullying. A non-native English speaker making a mistake in English should be applauded for trying, he, at least can use a foreign tongue, which is more than many native English speakers can claim.

I don't see the suggestion of using Google Translate as criticism at all. And only a total fool would list their best-selling subjects here in the forum. Maybe you would like to know my ATM pin number, eh, funky?

He's asking questions we all want to know. Giving reds and criticising his language abilities smacks of bullying. A non-native English speaker making a mistake in English should be applauded for trying, he, at least can use a foreign tongue, which is more than many native English speakers can claim.

If you've been following the six threads he's started in the past four days, it's more like trolling than someone who's honestly seeking advice.

I think very young and way under informed. I doubt he has a mentor to teach him anything about photography and possibly few resources to buy books. And yes, his social skills suck, but that may be because he doesn't know the way of forums and what's expected. There is a desperation here to learn photography and earn money. Or maybe that's just my own feeling.

There is a wealth of information on the Internet, and possibly in his own native language. So original poster, please avail yourself of that help.

What will help here is our seeing evidence that you are studying the art of photography to improve.

Don't open rapid-fire threads asking information you could find on the Internet.

Don't ask us personal things about our portfolio and what sells best. We've all worked hard for what we sell, and prefer not to give our secrets away.

Go to the market and browse magazines and newspapers. Look at the images they use. Get your own ideas from that without duplicating what you see. They can spark your imagination.

If you cannot find an answer by googling, and the question is respectful and not nosy, there usually will be someone that will answer. If that happens, thank them, always.

Just don't expect anyone here to teach you general photography, we're all to busy scrambling with our own work.

Betty

There seems to be a desperation to move quickly to an income-producing portfolio. That is just not going to happen on Alamy. I hate to be saying it but you are better off getting a job that brings in a salary and then improve your skills in your spare time and submit images with the idea that they MIGHT make some money eventually. Take an interest in improving your work and, also, enjoying the process. It won't make you money right away.

Paulette

I thought it odd that his images say 5, but I could, and still can, see 7 zooomable images in his port: 5 isolations, one near-isolation, and the 'unconventional' "Bell hanged of a tree". (I never saw ay more than 7.)

There were about 18 for  couple of days- you have to sign in and out to refresh the number, mine is still 20 or 30 behind- but who's around to delete images instantly on a Sunday?

Mea culpa. I just felt sorry for someone getting all those red arrows for being so very ignorant. He was annoying, of course, but I found him harmless. Apologies to those who give red arrows. I hate and despise them because I have seen them do damage to someone's desire to contribute here. 

Paulette

Mark, I have a wing feather molted from my parrot. If I swipe it lightly around your ear or nose, will I get a greenie?

;)

Ooh, sorely tempted, but being the faithful sort I'll just wear it in my hat along with the pigeon, magpie and parakeet feathers.

The parakeets live wild in London and the Home Counties. Some people think they're descended from escapees off the set of The African Queen at Shepperton Studios.

Mea culpa. I just felt sorry for someone getting all those red arrows for being so very ignorant. He was annoying, of course, but I found him harmless. Apologies to those who give red arrows. I hate and despise them because I have seen them do damage to someone's desire to contribute here. 

Paulette

Totally agree Paulette. We've had a few very valuable contributors to the forum leave (or simply cease posting) because of what they saw as bullying use of red arrows.

I'm against the use of red arrows, and I see no need to ever apologise for that. I very often cancel them, regardless of who attracted them, as tempting as it may be sometimes to act otherwise. If someone is being an idiot or what we know in my part of the world as a merchant banker, I'll might engage/argue with them, but most often I'll ignore them. I find that approach much more palatable to hiding behind the anonymity of the red arrows--in the absence of a statement that one was given deliberately, they are a coward's strategy (I'm not sure I've seen more than a tiny number of folk, and that was some time back, actually admit to deliberately giving a red arrow).

And I sure as heck don't understand the "I'm against them, except when I'm not" strategy :-)

dd

Just to be clear, I don't give red arrows, and I wrote to Alamy a long time ago suggesting that they/we discontinue the practice. 

But this forum is not a school to learn basic photography. Owning a camera does not a photographer make. Newbies will obviously be asking questions about Alamy and the stock business, and someone usually points them to Alamy's contributors page and the forum search engine. 

I do often give green arrows, and since Betty is asking for one, I'll give her one now. I don't want to be accused of being anti-parrot. 

I do often give green arrows, and since Betty is asking for one, I'll give her one now. I don't want to be accused of being anti-parrot. 

I think the presence or absence of red or green arrows in the long run nothing. They are neither cold nor hot, so that Betty would be much more pleasant to find at another sale instead of arrows.

Just to be clear, I don't give red arrows, and I wrote to Alamy a long time ago suggesting that they/we discontinue the practice.

But this forum is not a school to learn basic photography. Owning a camera does not a photographer make. Newbies will obviously be asking questions about Alamy and the stock business, and someone usually points them to Alamy's contributors page and the forum search engine.

:) :) Ed!

Mark, I have a wing feather molted from my parrot. If I swipe it lightly around your ear or nose, will I get a greenie? ;)

Ooh, sorely tempted, but being the faithful sort I'll just wear it in my hat along with the pigeon, magpie and parakeet feathers.

The parakeets live wild in London and the Home Counties. Some people think they're descended from escapees off the set of The African Queen at Shepperton Studios.

Oh, well, I tried. ;) oh, my, just read your comment again! I didn't mean anything by the feather except in answer to your remark about giving a greenie if something really tickled you. A feather does a fine job of tickling physically instead of an amusing remark. :)

Mark, I have a wing feather molted from my parrot. If I swipe it lightly around your ear or nose, will I get a greenie?

;)

Apropos the discussion of alternative spellings/meanings . . . ummm . . . "greenie" . . . in the interests of decorum etc, I'll say no more . . .

dd

Archived