photography after shoulder injury

I think Martin is on the right track with the waist level finder. Any camera that has one will work. If lifting is a problem too, then the lightest = Sony RX100 Mk2 or 3 or 4.

I had a seriously injured right shoulder 3 months ago. Only 3 weeks though. Probably lasted twice as long as necessary because I started too early with the 1Ds and all the rest. After that it hurt for 2 more weeks. Couldn't lift any higher than waist high.

wim

Btw, forgot to add. I went to see my GP for a shoulder injury a couple of month ago. It was agony. Couldn't do anything. Even had to ask young men to lift my suitcase onto trains. The GP sent me to hospital for X-rays and tests, and guess what, two days later I was back to normal. 

Hope this "miracle" will happen to you, too.

Sorry to hear of your injury.  I know you mentioned that a strap won't assist right now because of the difficulty lifting your shoulder, but when you are on the mend, I would recommend it.  I recently bought a Black Rapid sport strap and it has made a huge difference in terms of neck, shoulder and upper back pain. (They also come left and right handed).  I was getting to the point where I really couldn't wear the camera around the neck except for short stints.  When going hiking, I was fumbling around with camera, neck straps, backpacks, etc.  I recently had a few days away with the Black Rapid strap, and didn't even notice the camera hanging by my side all day.  So while it may not help now, it might assist in minimising any residual pain.  Not pushing Black Rapid, I know there are other options out there, it just happens to be the brand I bought.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Until I had my shoulder injury I never realised just how complex the joint is.  I assumed it was a ball and socket arrangement but it is in fact a very shallow cup that the arm bone rotates in, all held in place by a system of muscles and tendons.

I'm told that a ball and socket would not allow the enormous range of movement required by the shoulder joint.  

The pain could be quite excruciating at times.  Nothing seemed to work. Physio, Exercise and pain killers.  It was the injection that did it for me.

Within a few days the movement was coming back and I woke up one morning to find that I'd actually slept all night for the first time in many months.  I now have full use of the joint but I'm much more wary of how I use it.

I changed to a Sony RX100 Mk1 which helped a lot but my current Mk3 version would have been even better with the built-in waist level tilt on the viewfinder.

I wish all of you with injuries and aliments a speedy recovery.

John

Anyone who has had a really bad shoulder understands what happens if you are startled. Or forget for a moment and quickly grab for something falling.

To the knees kind of pain, the kind that makes you want, except for that stiff upper lip, to roll around on the floor yelping like a kicked dog. :(

Anyone who has had a really bad shoulder understands what happens if you are startled. Or forget for a moment and quickly grab for something falling.

To the knees kind of pain, the kind that makes you want, except for that stiff upper lip, to roll around on the floor yelping like a kicked dog. :(

For sure. There are so many ways to set the healing way back by doing something very normal. I stepped out of the way to let a guy in a mobility carriage pass on a crowded street, tripped on a bump on the pavement and jolted my healing shoulder really badly. I let out quite an aaaaah and got some weird stares from passers by, not least the disabled guy.  Even reaching backwards suddenly to get something off the back seat of a car can set back weeks. There is definitely an element of luck in the healing.

Hi Sparks!

frozen shoulders WILL get better, but as said can take up to a year or so. 

Could be a lucrative sideline there, Kumar - offering medical advice to photographers ;)

Alan

:D

Sparks - the invoice is in the post 

Kumar

Archived