OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

I had so many USB issues with an earlier version of El Capitan that I downgraded to Yosemite. It would recognize my card reader but not my Nikon D300 when plugged directly into the computer. I could import photos with Lightroom but not Adobe Bridge, and it kept ejecting my 3tb external Seagate drive.

At this point I won't even consider updating until the USB issues have been resolved.

El Capitan 10.11.3 is out.

Anyone tried it yet? Any problems?

I've seen some reports of issues regarding external monitors, so worth backing up first if you are going to try it.

No problems here. I think the issues with external monitors relate to the initial release and, as often is the case with these things, affected only a small minority of users. The negative always sounds a lot louder than the positive.

If you have recently moved to Mac from PC, then you can probably be far more relaxed about updating to new OS versions. This is a major advantage of Mac over PC as the computer hardware is all Apple. However, 3rd party hardware can sometimes break - tethering in LR with El Capitan for Nikon (blamed on Nikon not updating their software). Dot updates are rarely problematic on OSX and are very important as they contain security updates as well as tweaks.

If you want to err on the side of caution when doing a system upgrade (e.g. Mavericks to El Capitan), it is a simple matter to create a second partition on a drive and install a new OS on that or install onto a fast external drive to test things out.

How long does the El Capitan download and install take on the iMac with ssdrive. Just as a matter of interest.  

I'm asking real world time here not Apple's estimates.

Allan

How long does the El Capitan download and install take on the iMac with ssdrive. Just as a matter of interest.  

Allan

This is a how long is a piece of string question. It depends on the speed of your internet connection as well as the server from which you are downloading. El Capitan is a 6GB download. I thing it took about 12-15 minutes on my 50MBits/s Virgin broadband. Upgrade Install takes about half an hour or so. I've had absolutely no problems with El Capitan.

Allan

This is a how long is a piece of string question. It depends on the speed of your internet connection as well as the server from which you are downloading. El Capitan is a 6GB download. I thing it took about 12-15 minutes on my 50MBits/s Virgin broadband. Upgrade Install takes about half an hour or so. I've had absolutely no problems with El Capitan.

With my mobile broadband running at 5.2Mbits/s the download would be about 2.5 hrs assuming it does not slow down, as it often does.

Allan

Still on Mountain Lion which works fine for me ! The only thing I can't get to work is viewing Fuji x RAW files as thumbnail images in preview….only as identical icons….even though everything is up to date and no matter what I try ! A bit of a pain if I need to find a RAW file and can't see it as a thumbnail image !

Allan

I was done in 60 min, from download, install and restart.

But....i was already on El Capitan 10.11.2

"If it is working don't fix it"? That's what someone said back in the Middle Ages.  :wacko:

Aside from the bugs, I just didn't care all that much for El Capitan. I have no need for a split screen and I found the scroll feature in Apple Mail annoying. I enjoy the little Weather App in earlier versions of OS X.  El Capitan's alternative for Weather seems to be to search the web. In the time it takes to do that I could just pull out my phone or ask Siri.

Thanks Ed. I was out during the storm until I was too tired, wet, and cold to focus. Did I mention it was dark? Then I lamented about only having a single photo of the aftermath.

At least you were smart enough to get some light and still capture what the City has been like since the snow stopped.

Thanks Ed. I was out during the storm until I was too tired, wet, and cold to focus. Did I mention it was dark? Then I lamented about only having a single photo of the aftermath.

At least you were smart enough to get some light and still capture what the City has been like since the snow stopped.

I was thinking "cowardly" but I'll accept "smart." :) And darkness doesn't help at all. I got the second and third stages of the big snow:  the day after, when the snow is still white, and the day after that, when it's already dirty. I wonder how Ann did out on Long Island? Stay safe, Stacy.

Living in Rome in 1966, there was a rare blizzard; that city does not normally get much snow. I spent the entire day out, walking all over the city, shooting everything. My goodness -- that's 50 years ago!

I like Mavericks too. If it is working don't fix it.

Allan

"If it is working don't fix it"? That's what someone said back in the Middle Ages.  :wacko:

Ed we are still in the middle ages with the masses working hard to help the rich become richer. Then there are the Holy wars still going on. When will it end? :(

Allan

Thanks for all the replies. I took a full system backup and updated from 10.11.2 to 10.11.3 two days ago. For some reason it took two attempts. But, so far, everything seems OK. No issues with my external monitor, LR4.4 or PSE. My Mac wireless keyboard still disconnects during typing sometimes though.

Thanks for all the replies. I took a full system backup and updated from 10.11.2 to 10.11.3 two days ago. For some reason it took two attempts. But, so far, everything seems OK. No issues with my external monitor, LR4.4 or PSE. My Mac wireless keyboard still disconnects during typing sometimes though.

One odd thing I noticed in El Capitan was that I lost some of the key commands in Lightroom 5.7. Command F no longer worked to find images but me Full Screen instead. If I wanted to find a photo I had to use the menu instead, which no longer showed the key command. 

Archived