Views Collapsed

Sorry folk, I need to engage brain before posting.  Being retired the days merge into one another, or that's my excuse..

Retired in May. Beginning to get that groundhog day feeling too. :)

You need to bottle that wonderful Monday morning feeling, when you wake up and realise that work does not beckon. It lasted with me for about a year and I still get a warm glow thinking about it!  ;)

Sorry folk, I need to engage brain before posting.  Being retired the days merge into one another, or that's my excuse..

Retired in May. Beginning to get that groundhog day feeling too. :)

You need to bottle that wonderful Monday morning feeling, when you wake up and realise that work does not beckon. It lasted with me for about a year and I still get a warm glow thinking about it!  ;)

Never really had that Monday morning feeling being a rotating shift worker, and I do miss the day to day human contact of co-workers. I've still to find some way of replacing that. Photography 'you tube' tutorials are taking a hammering at the moment especially with this winter weather. It would help to have lots of views to re-keyword. :) Then again maybe not. I don't really like keywording. lol. Back to Serge Ramelli. :) 

Never really had that Monday morning feeling being a rotating shift worker, and I do miss the day to day human contact of co-workers. I've still to find some way of replacing that. Photography 'you tube' tutorials are taking a hammering at the moment especially with this winter weather. It would help to have lots of views to re-keyword. :) Then again maybe not. I don't really like keywording. lol. Back to Serge Ramelli. :) 

Yes, one thing I do miss is the interaction with others, but you can find that in other ways, for example we have an allotment garden and the communal shed is a meeting place for retired folk, while we also do some voluntary work and are members of an informal cycling club.

The winter is the most problematic time of year with short days and awful weather, and, by the time February comes, I am ready for a bargain off season trip to somewhere rather warmer.

Re filling your time I am still processing shots taken in June this year, took around 2000, deleted around 400 in camera,and have now whittled that down to the 900 mark. You need to look upon keywording as a pleasurable activity, do small batches at a time and enjoy the research involved. I also try to find a winter photography project, to be carried out on any bright days that might come along.

Nice NYC images, Bryan--hope you enjoyed your visit.

I retired from pro photography a long time ago, than had a part-time retirement job for a decade as a magazine copy editor . . . so I'm a double-dip retiree, a kind of zen master of retirement. 

Retirement tips? Sure.

1.) Don't play golf. You can dislocate your shoulder.

2.) Don't jog. Every nurse I've ever spoken to tells tales of older joggers hurting themselves.

3.) Don't read in bed. You'll fall asleep and drop the book or e-reader on your nose. 

4.) Learn a language. If you live in the UK or America, English would be a good place to begin. 

5.) Don't spend a lot of time with your oldest friends; by now you've heard all their stories. Continue to wave to them if you pass on the street. 

I retired from pro photography a long time ago, than had a part-time retirement job for a decade as a magazine copy editor . . . so I'm a double-dip retiree, a kind of zen master of retirement. 

Retirement tips? Sure.

2.) Don't jog. Every nurse I've ever spoken to tells tales of older joggers hurting themselves.

3.) Don't read in bed. You'll fall asleep and drop the book or e-reader on your nose. 

4.) Learn a language. If you live in the UK or America, English would be a good place to begin. 

5.) Don't spend a lot of time with your oldest friends; by now you've heard all their stories. Continue to wave to them if you pass on the street. 

:)

Retirement tips? Sure.

For women.

1.Don't drive a demo while waiting for your new retirement car to be delivered. Guaranteed to be rear-ended by some jerk with his head up where the sun doesn't shine.

2.Don't kill your retired hubby for meddling in household things that have always been your domain. Just send him on lots of errands.

3. Resist the temptation to jump into heavy, hard yard work that your husband should be doing but isn't. Guaranteed to damage a shoulder or spine. Been there. Our more delicate frames aren't meant for grubbing tree roots with a 10 lb. maul.

4. Bake a few delicious pies that puts your retired hubby in the mood to leave the house on all those errands you give him.

Don't hit him with the 10 lb. maul. Unless you prefer the easy life of no cooking, vacuuming, etc of jail.

Retirement tips? Sure.

For women.

1.Don't drive a demo while waiting for your new retirement car to be delivered. Guaranteed to be rear-ended by some jerk with his head up where the sun doesn't shine.

2.Don't kill your retired hubby for meddling in household things that have always been your domain. Just send him on lots of errands.

3. Resist the temptation to jump into heavy, hard yard work that your husband should be doing but isn't. Guaranteed to damage a shoulder or spine. Been there. Our more delicate frames aren't meant for grubbing tree roots with a 10 lb. maul.

4. Bake a few delicious pies that puts your retired hubby in the mood to leave the house on all those errands you give him.

Don't hit him with the 10 lb. maul. Unless you prefer the easy life of no cooking, vacuuming, etc of jail.

Nice one Betty. :)

Thanks Edo, despite struggling to get my head around the subway system and the fact that I'm not a city person, I have enjoyed my trips to NYC.

Our elder son and his family currently live in Brooklyn, so we are condemned to a long distance commute for the foreseeable future. The place looks great in spring and autumn, but I suspect that it would be too hot for me in summer and way too cold in the depths of winter. 

Without doing the sums, my personal impression is that the photo market is more buoyant in the USA than Europe, with more sales per image and better prices. Despite the obvious competition, it's got to be a great place for a stock photographer to dwell.  Living in the, original, Washington. there's not a fantastic demand for pics from around here.

Archived