Search by Alamy Ref no longer showing in Measures

Searches by image ref# have disappeared for me too. Not statistically significant in my case alone, but combined with all the other reports, looks like something else has "broken".

Not only did I find searches by image ref# to be a useful indication of a forthcoming sale, it also helped me to find usages closer to the time of publication, which I could then monitor and check for subsequent sale or potential infringement.

I'd like them back.

Although, I started this thread, it was as an observation and not a complaint. Ultimately, I don't think it's a particularly important change and, if anything, it probably makes the CTR data more accurate. It just piqued my interest!

Regarding when ref numbers stopped appearing, that does seem to be on 9th October, as Kumar pointed out. Since then, nothing has appeared in My Measures or AoA. Initially, it seemed as if it was appearing in the latter but a closer look shows that any ref nos are either part of a longer search or are not actual references (incorrect refs, wrong number of characters, full stop after the ref etc.) I imagine, there's a simple exclusion in Measures of any valid number in the Alamy Ref field.

As I said earlier, it's probably been done to make the data more accurate and to prevent abuse and gaming of the system. As to whether or not CTR is important, Alamy still maintain that it's a constituent element in ranking - so, yes, it could well be.

When I first started with Alamy I would look at those AOA  ref searches to see what had sold, in addition to spotting images in the papers etc. Useful for a beginner. My first thought was that maybe those involved didn't want that information made public, but the Images Found thread has never, to my knowledge,  attracted adverse criticism.  :unsure:

For one it masks specific images that are being zoomed and/or bought.

So it counters copycat behavior somewhat.

And the fact clients do not use the site as expected. Which the management may want to know, but not show the outside world too much.

Any other possible reasons, besides keeping CTR tidy?

wim

Ironically I had a search by Alamy ref number in thursday's data so they are still happening.

Regards

Craig

HI Craig - that would seem to go very much against what seems to have been happening - was it only the number, or some words as well?

Kumar

Ironically I had a search by Alamy ref number in thursday's data so they are still happening.

Regards

Craig

HI Craig - that would seem to go very much against what seems to have been happening - was it only the number, or some words as well?

Kumar

It was part of a multiple search (an0j1x OR an0j4w OR bt1f42 OR c3t8hp OR c4e221 OR cxw2cb OR dwr65y OR e1magw OR er1mrg OR eyhmne)

so yes it had the odd word or two.

Regards

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a weird search translate into a zoom. Search term: v[WOP]

Seems to me v (anything and everything that starts with a v?) doesn't say much, but one of my Virgin Island images was zoomed.

Someone here explained that it's probably Ctrl-V without the Ctrl.

wim

edit: Ctrl-V = paste

Interestingly enough I had a search yesterday show up for just the Image number, nothing else - first one for ages - anyone else had the same?

Kumar

Very strange, Kumar.

Apart from my own images, I've done the occasional check on AoA over the past couple of months and haven't seen a single occurrence since the beginning of October.

There are often searches with the ref no. and other search words (not what you've cited) and quite a few where the ref no. is invalid - so no images returned. In the latter case, you wouldn't see it in My Alamy because no images were found.

The only other explanation is that there's some form of punctuation after the ref no. (usually a full stop) which is often hard to see. The search engine doesn't seem to recognise this as a valid reference and so doesn't exclude it - however it does return the searched for image.

Otherwise, it would seem to be an odd quirk!

Ian D

Archived