New full frame compact by Sony. 42mp RX1R11

Good Grief! I'd hate to spend that much, even if I were flush, for something that small.

The RX100 I bought slid under the car seat and I thought I'd left it in a restaurant. Lost. So I buy the 2, and a few weeks later, the 1 slides back out.

If that happened with one that cost $3300, I'd require a straight jacket.

If you can afford the camera, pretty sure you could stretch to a Leica 36mm optical finder..... weren't there other optical vfs for the mark 1?

Seems like it fits in somewhere between the Sony RX100 iii or iv and the Sony RX10 . . . but I've never really trusted the lenses on the Canon G cameras. I'm sure if we can just wait 15 mins another new camera will appear. 

Bought an RX100 III the other day after having read the praise on the forums. Thought of getting the IV, also to get the 4k video - but got stingy if I'd want to ditch the camera after a short while.

Up to now tired of the weird raw files and Sony's weird software, they are in the gaming business for sure. Strange that they also produce a camera like this. The camera is sure good at low light, and the intelligent automatics work. 10 of the test images went right through QC, and video clips up and for sale elsewhere. (My last buy for a third and compact camera some years ago, the Canon G11 resulted in a rare QC fail, and has not been used since). However, I am afraid of losing my photographic skills. The intelligent, well working automatics is the end for real photographers. But the buy reminds me to update my Canon 5dII, if not for other reason, to get the higher ISO settings without noise.

PS - and the thing I really appreciate is to be able to take photos without being so conspicuous.

Don't have an RX100 iii (yet), but I have other Sony cameras (RX10 and NEX) and I can do all my PP in LR 5.7.  LR reads and converts Sony RAW files. 

Good luck with your new 'Invisible Man' camera. 

Thanks, Ed  :)

Also, DxO OpticsPro does a really good job on Sony RAW files. You can even emulate the look of other cameras if you like. Very cool.

Don't have an RX100 iii (yet), but I have other Sony cameras (RX10 and NEX) and I can do all my PP in LR 5.7.  LR reads and converts Sony RAW files. 

Also, DxO OpticsPro does a really good job on Sony RAW files. You can even emulate the look of other cameras if you like. Very cool.

Thanks, John..  :)

> The intelligent, well working automatics is the end for real photographers.

Diriculous, IMO. (as in, most twistedly ridiculous) :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Is it only "real" people who know what's going on behind a light switch????!!!!!

Composition & subject matter are, by far, most important to stock...

You are partly right, Jeff, of course, any photographer should be able to benefit from new inventions - otherwise we would still be hiding behind a black cloth with a hand on the shutter cap. And I like the easy and nearly totally automatic settings for a certain kind of photos, especially the quick ones, and where you either haven't brought your dSLR or want to be without it - or need to take a quick macro photo of acceptable quality in between.

And composition, subject matter, etc. is a main part in this.

But all this automatics seem in my opinion best at shooting a certain kind of mainstream images. I don't want to be limited to that. There are individual settings for some image types that I will be able to combine - easier or solely - on my updated dSLR. Also necessary to maintain my interest in photographing. Otherwise I may leave the job to mobile phone photographers.  :)

John, do you mean DxO OpticsPro does 'as good a job as LR' or 'a better job than LR'? And have you used both? 

Edo

John, do you mean DxO OpticsPro does 'as good a job as LR' or 'a better job than LR'? And have you used both? 

Edo

I've never used LR, Edo, so I can't compare the two. Prior to using OpticsPro, I was making do with Sony's Image Data Converter, which left much to be desired. OpticsPro is light years ahead of the Sony software, as I'm sure LR is.

Okay, thanks, John. I agree the Sony software is a joke. OpticsPro, what I've read, might allow better noise control at higher ISOs . . . but it might just be easier to get to the same place. I can live without that. 

I'm thinking of making a few changes, selling off a few things and getting an RX100 M3. It might just be that the weather has turned chilly, and if I put on a sweater my thinking will calm.  :ph34r:

Archived