Anything left to photograph in Vancouver?

Sultanpepa

Mainly aimed at John Mitchell as I'll be in Vancouver for a day or two. I'll take a few pics but I'm sure John has it all tied up already ;) Let's put a different slant on it. Where should I visit in Vancouver John given I have little time there? As a tourist what's nice to see? Currently in Kamloops where the smoke pollution from a forest fire in the US has made the surrounding scenery almost invisible.

Oh boy, that's a tough question. Vancouver is very heavily photographed, no doubt about that. If you check Alamy Measures, you'll see a lot of repeat searches -- e.g. Stanley Park, city skyline (ever-changing), suspension bridge in North Van, totem poles, Granville Island, etc. Mucho competition in those subject areas, though. I no longer bother with most of them. The good news is that you will be seeing the city with fresh (albeit a bit smokey) eyes. Lovely clear weather here as well. We're in the middle of a drought. Everything is very dry but there is no smoke at the moment.

Vancouver? How about NY, Paris, and London? There's is little atoll, far out in the Pacific near . . . nowhere. It's about a half mile across, Ungobongolala. It has a population of 35. Three of them are full-time Alamy contributors. 

Vancouver? How about NY, Paris, and London? There's is little atoll, far out in the Pacific near . . . nowhere. It's about a half mile across, Ungobongolala. It has a population of 35. Three of them are full-time Alamy contributors. 

I guess they all must photograph each other on Ungobongolala. They probably do just fine on Alamy. When is the next coconut barge leaving?

Speaking of which, here is boatload of Alamy contributors about to descend on an unsuspecting island just off the coast of Vancouver.

fisheye-view-of-bowen-island-from-bc-car

Yeah, I think that's Dougie up front. 

Ungobongolala is too poor to have their own coconut barge. They do have wi-fi however. 

That's too bad. Given the choice, I'd take coconuts. You can't eat wi-fi. It makes uploading a bit easier, though.

Thanks John and all. Limited interweb access. Going on a whale watching trip in the morning. This has also probably been done to death but it should be exciting. :)

Great idea. Hope you have a whale of time. Don't forget to photograph your fellow whale-watchers as well.

My son and his partner were on Vancouver 6 pm news for seeing a Whale close in the Bay whilst cycling round. That was about 10 days ago when they were on holiday there.

Pearl

If your rank is good, then it doesn't matter how many pictures follow yours of the same subject as long as your images are showing on the first few pages. The 20,000 that aren't looked at won't matter.

Jill

My son and his partner were on Vancouver 6 pm news for seeing a Whale close in the Bay whilst cycling round. That was about 10 days ago when they were on holiday there.

Pearl

The boat crew told us about this Pearl. :)

I've got a handful on here of Vancouver and have sold a few. This includes one today of people looking at The Gastown clock, which isn't in the picture.

If you haven't got it you are not going to sell it.

Good for you. Just about every tourist and photographer who visits Vancouver photographs the Gastown steam clock. The fact that it wasn't in your picture could have been a real plus. B)

As you know, when you live in a place, you start to get jaded. Perhaps I should start going to Gastown again.

East Hastings is rife for a good documentary. I'm well travelled but I admit I was in disbelief of the area that has gone into even more decline in recent years.

I'll be over your way about oct next year John and would love to meet up for a pint.

East Hastings is rife for a good documentary. I'm well travelled but I admit I was in disbelief of the area that has gone into even more decline in recent years.

I'll be over your way about oct next year John and would love to meet up for a pint.

Yes, East Hastings is the Vancouver few tourists (or locals) brave. I've never seen anything quite like it either. The recent gentrification has made the area's homelessness and drug scene even more poignant. Welcome to the apocalypse, Vancouver style. 

A pint sounds good to me. We do have good locally brewed beers, as you no doubt know.

• 2 weeks later...

Back home now and really enjoyed the trip. I took the hop on hop off bus and did the circuit. I made a special stop to catch the Gastown steam clock. It would have been rude not to. ;) Stayed in the Four seasons hotel and walked about that area. I must say I was surprised at the amount of homeless people on the streets. I had to agree with my son that it spoiled what is quite a beautiful city otherwise. Took the ferry to the island and a trip to see the whales. Those hump backs are quite something.

Back home now and really enjoyed the trip. I took the hop on hop off bus and did the circuit. I made a special stop to catch the Gastown steam clock. It would have been rude not to. ;) Stayed in the Four seasons hotel and walked about that area. I must say I was surprised at the amount of homeless people on the streets. I had to agree with my son that it spoiled what is quite a beautiful city otherwise. Took the ferry to the island and a trip to see the whales. Those hump backs are quite something.

Yes, homelessness is a huge problem in Vancouver. As everywhere, the gap between the rich and the poor is ever-widening. The city is building more social housing, but it can't keep up with the demand. That said, I'm glad you had a whale of a time and even saw the Gastown steam clock.

Somewhat ironically, Vancouver ranks #3 on The Economist's most liveable cities list.

I never see a city as fully shot. There is always something new and we each have a different way of seeing things and places. Skylines change, people change( in how they look), cars change and even styles and techniques of photography change. Updates are always needed.

I never see a city as fully shot. There is always something new and we each have a different way of seeing things and places. Skylines change, people change( in how they look), cars change and even styles and techniques of photography change. Updates are always needed.

Very true, the Gastown steam clock never changes, but the tourists snapping photos of it with their latest phones do.

I did a lot of shooting in Vancouver in the late 1970’s, for a picture book I was doing on BC. The images of the city are all dated now, but here is my all time, over the years, best selling shot taken in Vancouver. It is a totem pole in Stanley Park that I caught right after it had been repainted. Look around in any city, because it is not always the changing skyline or the newest building.

thunderbird-tops-the-totem-pole-by-ellen

Archived