Popular Photography magazine has an article saying Sony will be bringing out 3 new primes and a zoom this spring and summer. 28mm f/2, ($450.00) 35mm f/1.4, ($1,600.00) 90mm f2.8 macro, ($1,098.00) and a 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3. ($998.00)

All optimized for the a7 line, but works on APS-C format ILC.

I don't shoot with these cameras, but am aware one of Sony's weaknesses were their lack of good glass forcing the use of adapters.

I will be curious to know how good these lenses are.

Betty

$1,600 for a 35 f/1.4! They better be damn good. I have a perfect Leica M Summacron f/2 I'm about to sell. Maybe I'll ask for a million bucks.  :wacko:

Yup, it must be cased in gold. Sony already makes a very capable (by all reports) 35mm f/1.8 lens for their APS mirror-less cameras (NEX, a6000, etc.). It goes for about $450 these days.

I have the A7ii so when the Sony FE 24-240mm lens was released a month ago I bought it right away.  It's a solidly made lens, a bit bigger than I would prefer but still much smaller than the comparable Canon L lenses I've been lugging around.  Overall I'm happy with the images it's producing although I occasionally get purple fringing.  The problem is limited and so far easy to eliminate in post. I haven't had time to upload images to Alamy taken with the lens but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll let you know the link to the gallery where they are posted.

I also have pre purchased the FE 28mm f2 lens from B&H.  They have it in stock but annoyingly Sony won't let them distribute until the official May 8th release. 

Two new Carl Ziess 2470za and 1635za for A-mount confirmed. with June shipping 

(probably just a faster AF, even though the old ones are still fast'ish)  

wait,

"Dust and Moisture-Resistant Design" I really want to know how effective the "Dust Resistant" will be? 

Only reason, my current 2470 has started to collect dust inside the front elements. There again, it has been my work horse for past four or five years.   

IF the AF motor is the same as 70400G2, This lens will be really fast.

Until my zeiss falls apart- i'm not buying a new one  :P

Images look pretty awesome

http://www.alphaforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114980#p114980

Pre-Order links

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140694-REG/sony_sal2470z2_sony_24_70mm_f_2_8_za.html 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140693-REG/sony_sal1635z2_sony_16_35mm_f_2_8_za.html

Price of the a99 has dropped alot, in the past month; - could a new A99mk2 or FF becoming soon? 

$1,600 for a 35 f/1.4! They better be damn good. I have a perfect Leica M Summacron f/2 I'm about to sell. Maybe I'll ask for a million bucks.   :wacko:

Yup, it must be cased in gold. Sony already makes a very capable (by all reports) 35mm f/1.8 lens for their APS mirror-less cameras (NEX, a6000, etc.). It goes for about $450 these days.

Must be some very shiny gold! :P  

I think $1600 is about what I paid for the Fujinon 2.8 constant aperture 50-140.

I think it is encased in gold, at least it shoots like it is.

And so it should at that price.

No new lenses on the horizon for me, though. The Sony kit lenses that I use on my NEX-6 are a poor man's friend. Any QC problems (none lately, touch wood) have been my fault, not that of the lenses. However, if I happen to win the lottery...

$1,600 for a 35 f/1.4! They better be damn good. I have a perfect Leica M Summacron f/2 I'm about to sell. Maybe I'll ask for a million bucks.  :wacko:

I felt as if I was paying a million bucks over fifty years ago when I was buying Leica stuff and Summicrons. However, they were a good investment as I'm still using them now and they are perfect. I believe some of the newer mirrorless cameras can accept Leica M lenses, so I say they would be a good, but not cheap buy. They also hold their price of course as there is nothing to break down or wear out. Just fantastic glass at any aperture so there should not be any QC worries caused by the lens, only by the photographer................

While I would love to possess some Leica glass, I can't justify the spend. (Brought up a prudent and parsimonious Methodist, before seeing the light and descending into atheism.)

I've bored the forum in the past with my comments about the old Olympus 50mm f1.8, but it only cost £10 with an as new film camera attached, and it provides images that are genuinely sharp from corner to corner on the crop frame Sony NEX 6, while it hardly suffers from any CA or distortion. It's not the most useful of focal lengths (75 mm equivalent) but it gets an airing most times I am out and about. It beats the standard Sony zoom into a cocked hat - whatever that means.

Looking at the returns from stock and the quality requirements I could not justify buying any new Zeiss glass nor a new full frame camera. The crop frame provides more than adequate quality with the advantage of greater depth of field. I guess that I miss out on high ISO noise, but only a very small proportion of my shots would benefit from an improvement there. I have a, very rarely used, tripod, that will do nicely for dark places.

I might indulge in an upgrade if Sony ever brings out a genuinely better crop frame camera than the NEX 6, but no show to date.

I'm in tune with what you're saying, Bryan, and I'm not in disagreement with you, Dyn, having owned Leica Ms for at least as long as you have. I have adapters for both Leica and Nikon for my NEX cameras, but I tend to want lenses with all the bells and whistles. I'm not usually on a tripod doing landscapes. And Leica needs no pat on the back from me, do they? 

My NEX Sony/Zeiss 24 f/1.8 is as good a lens as I've ever own, and the Zeiss 24-200 f/2.8 on my RX10 is the best zoom I've ever owned. 

I'm in tune with what you're saying, Bryan, and I'm not in disagreement with you, Dyn, having owned Leica Ms for at least as long as you have. I have adapters for both Leica and Nikon for my NEX cameras, but I tend to want lenses with all the bells and whistles. I'm not usually on a tripod doing landscapes. And Leica needs no pat on the back from me, do they? 

My NEX Sony/Zeiss 24 f/1.8 is as good a lens as I've ever own, and the Zeiss 24-200 f/2.8 on my RX10 is the best zoom I've ever owned. 

Absolutely, everyone must use the equipment that suits them and the work they favour. No matter what you buy though, I am an advocate of getting the best lenses whatever. Camera bodies come and go with too alarming rapidity and, as we have ascertained, top lenses can last for decades. When I'm doing my serious projects and gallery work - "on a tripod doing landscapes" - I'm using an 8"x10". My Leicas are my everyday carry-around kit. 

This situation where stock prices keep dropping while equipment prices keep increasing reminds me of the Gold Rush in the American West of the mid-19th century. It was mostly the guys who sold the shovels who made money.  :)

This situation where stock prices keep dropping while equipment prices keep increasing reminds me of the Gold Rush in the American West of the mid-19th century

Also makes me think that people see photo togs running around with all their flash equipment getting the strange illusion that photographers make a lot of money,  well of course we do otherwise we would not have such expensive gear. rite!

As for Sony lenses,  i am very happy with my Zeiss 16-35 and 70-200, on the 7ii, for casual shooting,  still use my Canon Pro kit for fast pro stuff and when it must look professional.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

This situation where stock prices keep dropping while equipment prices keep increasing reminds me of the Gold Rush in the American West of the mid-19th century. It was mostly the guys who sold the shovels who made money.  :)

And then there are those of us who do want to make money, but can live with it supporting our Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  I'm guilty of that...wanting the latest/greatest. 

I pulled the trigger on the Sony 10-18 at Adorama on Sunday, not one of the newest Sonys, but new to me. My first 8 images passed QC this morning. I took a chance (not really, since it was returnable) and bought an open box they had and saved $150. 

It is my intention that this will be the very last piece of gear I will buy.

Thank you, Bill in DC for recommending this lens.  :)

I use Sony since 5 years. Sony has the bodies and sensors....... but still can not catch up with lenses comparing to the competition. My brother shoots with the Olympus OM-D. The lenses of the Olympus are cheaper then the comparable Sony ones. I have to admit that the sharpness of the Olympus lenses outperform Sony. I still am waiting for the lens from Sony that comes close to that. The sensor of the Sony needs more food. It is the sensor why i love Sony.

I pulled the trigger on the Sony 10-18 at Adorama on Sunday, not one of the newest Sonys, but new to me. My first 8 images passed QC this morning. I took a chance (not really, since it was returnable) and bought an open box they had and saved $150. 

It is my intention that this will be the very last piece of gear I will buy.

Thank you, Bill in DC for recommending this lens.  :)

Famous last words, Edo. You can bet temptation will strike again. The 10-18 is still on my wishlist. Sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy.

Yes, and sometimes those "famous last words" are one's last words on a subject. 

Here's an example of why one might need a super-wide here on this small, crowded, horizontal island, that is NYC:

view-of-buildings-on-broom-street-in-the

Archived